EquinePhotoPost: Discussion

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited October 27, 2004 in Wildlife
Here's another for you all...

discussion.jpg

Technicals:

Canon 1D, 70-200IS f2.8L, f3.2:1/800, Aperture Priority, ISO200, FL200,

Characters on image: LiSong Pro

In PS CS, In RAW, warmth, saturation and contrast added and converted.

In 16 bit converted to B&W, then quad toned and contrast upped (to push the the contrast on white mane), using Grain Surgery added grain and sharpened a tad and saved for web.

Andrew :)
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Amazing photograph. I was able to try my hand at photographing horses last weekend. I must say it was much harder than I thought. I did come away with a few keepers and one that I like a lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Amazing photograph. I was able to try my hand at photographing horses last weekend. I must say it was much harder than I thought. I did come away with a few keepers and one that I like a lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thank you...

Horses are quite difficult, but not impossible!

Let's take a peek at what you captured.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    maczippy wrote:
    Thank you...

Horses are quite difficult, but not impossible!

Let's take a peek at what you captured.

This is the best of the series. Let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions.

10308079-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    maczippy wrote:
    Here's another for you all...

Technicals: ...

Beautiful!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    This is the best of the series. Let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions.

10308079-S.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave

Oh Dave,
    That is a keeper. I love the expression in his eyes. Then there's the texture of the peeling paint and that chewed window. A lot to look at there. very nice.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Oh Dave,
    That is a keeper. I love the expression in his eyes. Then there's the texture of the peeling paint and that chewed window. A lot to look at there. very nice.
    thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Where was this photo during the along or together challenge? lol

Dave
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

10308079-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave
    Next time don't beat the poor thing! He looks scared to death!

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    A Horse of course
    Cain't match maczippy's horse photos. (Great job!) But I do have one horse photo.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    great shot
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words.

Where was this photo during the along or together challenge? lol

Dave
    jwear wrote:
    a great shot the color and the look great I have owned a horse for years never take my camera the eye bowdown.gif post it at a horse show that would sell
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    cowgirl21cowgirl21 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    All of these are wonderful shots! I especially love Andrew's, not to discredit the other two! I just checked out your website Andrew and your work is absolutely beautiful! I Would love to professionally photograph horses! Guess I'll have to practice photographing them more. I love to ride and have horses. I'll just have to work on more pics!
    It is difficult taking pics of horses but it's one of my favorite things to photograph. It's especially hard to take them when your on a horse...
    Here's one I took last weekend but it was blurred, so I played around with it and added some effects. This is a colt who was curious as to what was on the other side of the fence. (He was not stuck)
  • Options
    cowgirl21cowgirl21 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    !
    cowgirl21 wrote:
    All of these are wonderful shots! I especially love Andrew's, not to discredit the other two! It is difficult taking pics of horses but it's one of my favorite things to photograph. It's especially hard to take them when your on a horse...
    Here's one I took last weekend but it was blurred, so I played around with it and added some effects. This is a colt who was curious as to what was on the other side of the fence. (He was not stuck)
  • Options
    BreaBrea Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    well i have thousands of horse photos and i would definitley say they're are hard but when you get a good one its so captivating. Can i show everyone one i got a few days back, its not my best horse one but i think it is kind of neat. I don't have photoshop or anything so this was just the original and i'm trying to get something like that. but ya, here it is...
    BREA (Moulin Rouge)- 9/yo 16hh thoroughbred mare
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

10308079-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave

Good work Dave.........!!!

This has "atmosphere" and intrique.

I love the rusticness of the colours one the stable and the interest of the horse...

It may look even better if you maybe added a little warmth to push the colours of the horses coat.

Other than than, good poster material IMV.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Cain't match maczippy's horse photos. (Great job!) But I do have one horse photo.

Oh yes you can!!

Hey Sam, good shot.

But it is my view that if you're gonna cut the ears off you have to balance that with doing the same at the other end of the face. Imagine you're shooting a movie in 16:1/letterbox to give you some idea perhaps...

I know there are people who don't agree with this but it's a style thing with me that I like.

Good looking beast too. Also, you may want to use an aperture of f5.6 or thereabouts to try and blur out the background and thus isolate the subject...

Hope you don't mind the suggestions...

Here's my "tweak"

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Beautiful pic. Here is a pic of my own horse Dutch. While I dont like the background I think it caught his expression pretty well.

10441251-M.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    My efforts early yesterday morning.
    Dollar is my daughters 12hh Welsh Mountain
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    maczippy wrote:
    Oh yes you can!!

Hey Sam, good shot.

But it is my view that if you're gonna cut the ears off you have to balance that with doing the same at the other end of the face. Imagine you're shooting a movie in 16:1/letterbox to give you some idea perhaps...

I know there are people who don't agree with this but it's a style thing with me that I like.

Good looking beast too. Also, you may want to use an aperture of f5.6 or thereabouts to try and blur out the background and thus isolate the subject...

Hope you don't mind the suggestions...

Here's my "tweak"
    I never object to good intended sugestions. Your right about the aperature. I just get to walking and snaping and don't always think about the settings as I should.

It seems as though I will work, plan, set up a photo. Then while walking away as an after thought, point the camera and bang, get the best shot of the day. Ya never know, at least I don't.

This is the only horse photo I have and his ears were not there. :D I done chopped them off.

Your horse photos are really good, and I am not a horse person. My ex is a horse person, she kept the horse and got rid of me. :D

Sam