Options

Challenge 24 - DigiSmile

digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
edited October 27, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! :D

While many of you are enjoying wonderful fall colours for your landscape shots, my fall time ended last weekend with a foot of snow! My shots of the Rockies for the previous challenge would have been perfect here ... Oh well.

So taking Andy's tips and advise on Winter shooting, out I went yesterday to wow you with pictures of snow ... white ... bland ... you can feel my excitement ... (Not) ...

So I drove around and headed into a park in our river valley. I run through this area all winter long, but I guess I'm too busy doing whatever to see the beauty around me. I was kind of surprised at the photos I got. I have tried a few in B/W for you B/W folk but the colour amongst the white was too nice!

Here's a few shots:

10287964-M.jpg

10287967-M.jpg

10287969-M.jpg

10287971-M.jpg

10287970-M.jpg

And I even took a few of the little things around me:

10287965-M.jpg

10288109-M.jpg

10288110-M.jpg

While I was shooting, a duck waddled all the way up and finally under my tripod! I guess he wanted to see what I was doing :D . He then decided that he wanted to be in most of my shots. He waddled back and forth over a half hour period. Sadly, you can see from the following pictures of his first approach that he doesn't have a left wing ...

10287968-M.jpg

10288337-M.jpg

10288339-M.jpg

10288340-M.jpg

All these pictures were taken with my wide angle, so he (she? don't know much about ducks) was VERY close.

Needless to say, I had a great time enjoying (winter) photography.

Brad

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Beautiful shots....snow? We do not have snow, or colorful leaves falling to the ground, I am still working on getting a great landscape. I think the first photo is beautful and I like the shots of the delicate leaves on the snow. I'm glad it is not snowing here, I'm a warm weather person. Sandy
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I like these two the best:

10287968-S.jpg

10287970-S.jpg

:)
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    i like number 5 the best of them all. I like how you framed the right side of the shot with the tree which itself is just asa interesting as the background. Good work. Very good series of shots though i must say. A successful afternoon. Keep up the good shots.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Quite a curious duck. :) I like the framing in the fourth pic. Nice job!Being in the desert, I don't get many oportunities to try snow shots, but I'm sure it's not easy.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    What surprised me (at least at first) was how dark they were when I got home. I checked the histograms to make sure that the photos didn't get blown out, and shot RAW at -1/3 F-stops. I think I increased every photo by +.66 to 1.5. Thinking about it later, the camera was obviously metering the snow to be 10% gray.

So I probably didn't need to stop down. Just a note for those that MIGHT get snow sometime this century :D
    Brad

aero-nut wrote:
    Quite a curious duck. :) I like the framing in the fourth pic. Nice job!Being in the desert, I don't get many oportunities to try snow shots, but I'm sure it's not easy.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 24, 2004
    I love shooting in new snow - everything seems so clean and nice..... It is cool too :D:D
    10287970-S.jpg

I like # 5 the best - the detail in the tree trunk is a great contrast to the background. I also like that the snow is neither blown out nor greyish. Good work. Well done. Too bad about the duck - unless you adopt it, it wil not survive the winter.

We don't have snow here yet, but I shot a few images last winter too....

2435989-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    What surprised me (at least at first) was how dark they were when I got home. I checked the histograms to make sure that the photos didn't get blown out, and shot RAW at -1/3 F-stops. I think I increased every photo by +.66 to 1.5. Thinking about it later, the camera was obviously metering the snow to be 10% gray.

So I probably didn't need to stop down. Just a note for those that MIGHT get snow sometime this century :D
    Brad
    Hi Brad.. don't know if you saw this thread by Andy.. it's always useful to me:D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3167&highlight=winter+shots

by the way.. the shots are beautiful!!clap.gif
    Lynn1drink.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    Have you tried #1 as a black and white???
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    Here's #1 as B/W. I'm wondering if the detail is too fine. I've played with curves to change the mids and shadow areas. Stll not sure if it works.

As well, I played around with grayscale Duotones, Tritones, Quadtones to see what the different effects might be, but once converted to this mode it would only let me save as PSD, TIFF, etc. and not jpeg. Can I change a tritone back to an RGB or grayscale and keep the grey effects?

Brad

10387520-L.jpg

cletus wrote:
    Have you tried #1 as a black and white???
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    I love these...
    I love snow. But, it's more fun to visit than to live with. mwink.gif But, for this I might leave my bouganvillia in San Diego thumb.gif

My favorite is No. 4. - That duck, walking away from you, gives it just the right touch. iloveyou.gif Great stuff.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! :D

While many of you are enjoying wonderful fall colours for your landscape shots, my fall time ended last weekend with a foot of snow! My shots of the Rockies for the previous challenge would have been perfect here ... Oh well.

So taking Andy's tips and advise on Winter shooting, out I went yesterday to wow you with pictures of snow ... white ... bland ... you can feel my excitement ... (Not) ...

So I drove around and headed into a park in our river valley. I run through this area all winter long, but I guess I'm too busy doing whatever to see the beauty around me. I was kind of surprised at the photos I got. I have tried a few in B/W for you B/W folk but the colour amongst the white was too nice!

Here's a few shots:

10287969-M.jpg

10287970-M.jpg

Brad
    Very nice! I like these two the best.

Question, What camera did you use? How did you achieve the depth of field in the second photo?

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Great shots!! I like the second picture a lot!