Options

Techniques for Wildlife Photography?

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited June 15, 2006 in Technique
I was wondering if some of the more experienced wildlife photographers wouldn't mind sharing some of their techniques.

I've just started going to our local refuge to photograph birds and I'm having a very difficult time. They all fly away at a distance of 100 yards!!!

Today, rather than walking around and trying to find the birds, I took a small chair and sat with the tripod ready to go. Basically, the ducks would come out from the brush just enough to see me, make a bunch of noise, then go back into hiding!:rofl

Some things I was wondering was:

1. What's the best time of day?
2. Does clothing really matter? Should I be in full camo!?:rambo
3. Do you sit and wait? How long - hours at a time?
4. What's your typical focal length? Is a good shot possible at 400mm?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks ahead of time!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 15, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I was wondering if some of the more experienced wildlife photographers wouldn't mind sharing some of their techniques.

I've just started going to our local refuge to photograph birds and I'm having a very difficult time. They all fly away at a distance of 100 yards!!!

Today, rather than walking around and trying to find the birds, I took a small chair and sat with the tripod ready to go. Basically, the ducks would come out from the brush just enough to see me, make a bunch of noise, then go back into hiding!rolleyes1.gif

Some things I was wondering was:

1. What's the best time of day?
    2. Does clothing really matter? Should I be in full camo!?:rambo
    3. Do you sit and wait? How long - hours at a time?
    4. What's your typical focal length? Is a good shot possible at 400mm?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks ahead of time!

TT,
    First off, you have to get closer rolleyes1.gif

As with any other type of shooting, the more the subject fills the viewfinder, the more detail you will capture and the easier you will be able to lock AF. Small birds over say 75ft away probably are not worth even raising your lens for ne_nau.gif Larger birds over maybe 120ft, same situation.
    You just won't be able to lay enough mpxls on them to get much detail.

1. Best time of day is usually early morning. Most birds wake up hungry and there is lots of activity as well as extremely soft light at this time of dayiloveyou.gif If not early morning, then early evening (maybe 90 minutes prior to sunset, til dusk). Try to avoid shooting during the harsh light hours of 9am-4pm.

2. It does matter to some extent. If you are stalking birds that spook easily (most raptors and game birds), then drab clothing and lots of patience will help. If you are shooting birds that are comfortable with humans around (ducks, geese and most other waterfowl), you can get fairly close without the drab clothing. If you are shooting nesting birds, you can also get closer. Please be aware that if you get too close you can spook a parent into abandoning the nest eek7.gif So please respect nesting birds "space".

3. I usually don't sit. The exception being if I know I am in a good location to wait for my quarry. If I am shooting BIFs I will usually try to place myself between where they nest/perch/sunbathe and where they feed. Or, with raptors, shooting from their feeding grounds. With waterfowl this is normally pretty easy. With raptors you may have to familiarize yourself with their hunting routines/routes in order to find a good shooting spot. The bigger issue is the quality of light and the angle. You'll want to make sure you are positioned so that your subjects will be front or side lit. Not top lit or back lit (unless you are into silhouettes mwink.gif ).

4. Typical focal length depends on how close you can get and the size of the bird/animal. You will want to fill as much of the frame as possible, without cutting off beaks, wingtips, legs, etc.. (again, the more of the frame the subject fills, the more detail will be captured). With my Bigma, I was usually between 250mm and max tele of 465mms. This doesn't factor in the 1.6x multiplier. Sometimes at 500mm I would only try to get a nice head and eye shot. Most of the time, I would try to compose so the whole bird was in the frame. Also remember that the more focal length you use, the harder it is to find your flier in the viewfinder. Keeping your other eye open when focusing helps a lot here.

I am shooting with a prime+TC now so every shot is @ 560mm (or 896mm FOV).

Other suggestions? Practice, practice, practice....shoot flying gulls or ducks to hone your panning skills. Understand that this is something you will have to work at and don't get frustrated. Even when almost all your shots are right on technically, there are so many other things that can make or break the shot. Your observation of these birds and wildlife along with your analysis of your last shots and an understanding of what needs to improve will help you get better results pretty much everytime out. :D

Hope this helps some,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    This thread might be of some help to you.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22725

I get most of my shots at focal lengths of 300mm-400mm. Steve's reponse covered most of the bases especially the practice advise. Experience is the best teacher in shooting wildlife.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    TT,
    First off, you have to get closer rolleyes1.gif

Steve -

Thank you for all the wonderful advice! Getting closer is my biggest problem.

After reading your suggested times, that may be part of my problem. I'm usually going during the late morning and into the afternoon - I'm aware it's against ALL the rules but I'm just looking for the practice right now. mwink.gif But I am finding that they all kind of disappear after early morning (~9:00) and the few birds that are left roaming around get spooked at ~150ft. I've gotten some at ~50-75ft but even then it's far from full frame.

I'll give it a try at the early evening as you mentioned. I'm not much of a morning person!:snore :snore

I'll also try some darker close. Every time I decided to go it's a last minute decision or I happen to be in the area and I'm always wearing a white shirt - probably doesn't help huh?

Thank you again!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    This thread might be of some help to you.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22725

I get most of my shots at focal lengths of 300mm-400mm. Steve's reponse covered most of the bases especially the practice advise. Experience is the best teacher in shooting wildlife.

Thanks Harry! I'll read up on the link. I've got a lot of learning to do!

This last time I pretty much gave up and spent most of the time observing. I think I need to go without the camera! Just a pair of binoculars!thumb.gif

- Kevin
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 15, 2006
    TT,
    Yeah, ditch the white tee shirt...lol And DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go anywhere near birds or wildflife without your camera. Just as the phone always seems to ring right after you step into the shower. If you don't bring your camera, chances are good that a bald eagle will pluck a fish out of the water 20 feet in front of you....Laughing.gif Even if there has never been a bald eagle seen in the area before lol3.gif

Seriously, observation is wise. It's just prudent to do it with your cam in hand or around your neck mwink.gif Ya never know ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    TT,
    Yeah, ditch the white tee shirt...lol And DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go anywhere near birds or wildflife without your camera. Just as the phone always seems to ring right after you step into the shower. If you don't bring your camera, chances are good that a bald eagle will pluck a fish out of the water 20 feet in front of you....Laughing.gif Even if there has never been a bald eagle seen in the area before lol3.gif

Seriously, observation is wise. It's just prudent to do it with your cam in hand or around your neck mwink.gif Ya never know ne_nau.gif

Steve

rolleyes1.gif

Okay. I'll observe WITH my camera!:D

That reminds me - we have a very small zoo and one of the signs said that Bald Eagles have been spotted in the air over bakersfield! :lol4 Maybe a retarded one!umph.gif

- Kevin