Options

need help for the bay .. old cannon pack

neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited June 16, 2006 in Flea Market
what should I start the reserve at on this? what can I expect.. I have no idea if its even worth anything... it was my dads and I only do digital anymore... thanks.....:dunno

1. ae1- good condition
2. soligor 80-200mm lenz
3. vivatar flash
4. original manuals
3. misc lenz
4. release cable
5. shoulder strap and wrist strap
6. vintage carrying back (lol)

74583948-L.jpg
74583952-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    You're 'baying your dad's old kit?

I couldn't *ever* imagine 'baying my father's old SMC Super Takumar lenses & pentax bodies. They've got too much life in them, and old MF gear isn't worth enough to be worth parting with them. If you can even just get *one* good shot out of them, they've pretty much paid their value.

Only rare lenses fetch good money these days on ebay.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    You're 'baying your dad's old kit?

I couldn't *ever* imagine 'baying my father's old SMC Super Takumar lenses & pentax bodies. They've got too much life in them, and old MF gear isn't worth enough to be worth parting with them. If you can even just get *one* good shot out of them, they've pretty much paid their value.

Only rare lenses fetch good money these days on ebay.

i hear what your saying, but realistically for me its just been sitting here for the past 5 years collecting dust... I figure it would be better for someone to use it rather than not be used by me... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Cannon Camera
    Well it is too bad you don't have the black body. Eventhough I have a nice digital I still prefer to shoot my film when I can afford it. I have an at and an ae with several lenses.

As far as ebay goes. I suggest getting on there and watch the market for a little while. Sometimes people are paying alot and sometimes people are giving the stuff away. Seeing that you only have the body, one cannon lens, an okay flash, and one lens I wouldn't expect you to get much more than $150 and that is if people are paying. I would just hold on to it or give it as a gift to a neice, nephew, or neighbor. You could also donate it to a school that has photography classes and therefore get a tax write off and then you could say it was worth $200 because that is what a camera shop would sell it for.

Just my 2 cents though.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    NDebNDeb Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I had one of these with several lenses, vivitar flash, many filters. I decided to donate it to our high school since the kids are working with manual film cameras and composition. Good luck; the AE1 is an excellent camera!
    -debbie:D

anwmn1 wrote:
    Well it is too bad you don't have the black body. Eventhough I have a nice digital I still prefer to shoot my film when I can afford it. I have an at and an ae with several lenses.

As far as ebay goes. I suggest getting on there and watch the market for a little while. Sometimes people are paying alot and sometimes people are giving the stuff away. Seeing that you only have the body, one cannon lens, an okay flash, and one lens I wouldn't expect you to get much more than $150 and that is if people are paying. I would just hold on to it or give it as a gift to a neice, nephew, or neighbor. You could also donate it to a school that has photography classes and therefore get a tax write off and then you could say it was worth $200 because that is what a camera shop would sell it for.

Just my 2 cents though.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    neastguy wrote:
    i hear what your saying, but realistically for me its just been sitting here for the past 5 years collecting dust... I figure it would be better for someone to use it rather than not be used by me... ne_nau.gif

Then buy a roll of NPF or some IR film and go shooting!
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I had a similar kit (Canon A-1 and AE-1, plus lenses, filters, etc) that was also collecting dust.

If you are worried about the camera not getting use, may I suggest you do what I did. Contact your local high-schools. Some photography classes need/want 35mm cameras as they teach the basics, such as B&W shooting and processing, etc. Can't use digital for that.

If you do a realistic estimate of what the equipment gets at retail (used camera sites will help a lot with that - kh.com - or something like that), you can prepare a letter to have the school staff sign. You can then claim that as a deduction on your taxes. You might get more value going this route than doing the EBay thing.
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Market research on eBay
    Go to eBay type the basics of the camera Canon AE-1, press search. On the left side click the box that says completed items, then click the "show items buttons".

Looks like one sold recently with 4 lenses for $231.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-AE1-Program-AE-1-with-accessories-Huge-lot_W0QQitemZ7625728055QQihZ017QQcategoryZ107919QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My Dad's old Pentax has been sitting around and we were going to eBay it (he uses my D50) when my 14 yr old announced that she wants to take photography next year and she'll need a manual focus film camera. Voila!

Kat

P.S. My Dad has that SAME ugly bag.... OMG that is so funny!
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt