Options

OT: Keynote / iMovie camcorder

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited June 16, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I got the right camera but i also need a camcorder. Im just starting to use iMovie HD 6 and IDVD. I need to buy a camcorder. Any suggestions? There seem to be a lot of different formats out there......I'll be using the camcoder to take short clips inside classrooms as well as outside events. Of course I also use this camcoder for my personal family movies also. What "type" of camcorder is "preferred" for ease with iMovie / iDvD? Price is not a concern, I just want to buy the "right one" for my purposes ( keynote / iMovie presentations )

Thanx so Much In Advance -

Troy

Comments

• Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    I got the right camera but i also need a camcorder. Im just starting to use iMovie HD 6 and IDVD. I need to buy a camcorder. Any suggestions? There seem to be a lot of different formats out there......I'll be using the camcoder to take short clips inside classrooms as well as outside events. Of course I also use this camcoder for my personal family movies also. What "type" of camcorder is "preferred" for ease with iMovie / iDvD? Price is not a concern, I just want to buy the "right one" for my purposes ( keynote / iMovie presentations )

Thanx so Much In Advance -

Troy

Sony makes a really nice, compact HD capable model $1499. Also I would look a Panasonic's offering in the same class. They have some great 3 CCD cameras that perform really well in low light.

Also, MiniDV would be much better for iMovie. It's easier to edit and the picture quality is better than mini DVD.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I have an older Panasonic 3 CCD MiniDV camcorder which I've been really happy with. My only complaint is that the image stabilization is not as good as the Sonys. But the color quality with the 3 CCDs more than makes up for that drawback. I have never compared it to a Sony HD model.

I would stay away from the record to DVD models and hard disk recorders. MPEG2 quality is just not that great. MiniDV is still the way to go.

If money and size were no object, I would probably go with something like the Sony DCR-VX2100, $3000 list price. To be more price frugal, I would go with the updated version of my Panasonic, PV-GS500, only $1000 list.

My main gripe with any of these consumer versions is that they insist on having digital camera functions built-in. It just adds needless complexity and I already have a dSLR. To get rid of that, you need to move up to the professional stuff.
    Chris