Options

Frustrated

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited October 29, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
I use an Epson 830, in an attempt to cut costs I started using 3rd party Inks and paper. I was dissapointed with the results. Initially everything I printed came out with a green cast.
Not wanting to give up, I bought DDI's Prism calibration cards and software.
Basically, you print a test card then scan it with one of the supplied preprinted test cards. The software then generates a profile. I load the profile into qimage, turn off any colour correction through the epson print drivers and print. I now have a pink cast :bash .

I'm going to contact DDI for some help, but was looking for any other advice or tips... Maybe I should just stop being tight and cough up the significant extra for the epson inks and papers :cry

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    Zero expertise here, Gubbs. But a thought. I attended a presentation a couple of weeks ago, at which a Kodak guy was pitching their new paper. He made a point of saying one could download profiles for the paper from Kodak's site.

In other words, 3rd party papers may not work unless you have a profile from the manufacturer.

Your experience rings a lot of bells. Mostly, they're alarms about printers being so finicky that using non-proprietary inks and papers is likely to lead to poor prints.

Bummer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 29, 2004
    Gubbs,

I feel for you :cry I did the same thing (used 3rd party inks). These inks pretty much gave my 820 terminal constipation. I got so many clogs, that I'd waste cartridges going through the "cleaning cycle", over and over again. Just to get one color cleared up and then another would clog ne_nau.gif

Like you, I tried to save a few $ and wound up spending extra $. I finally just gave up and bought an HP Photosmart Printer. Not the best quality output, but the price was right and I've never had any problems with any of my HP's clogging. Although, talk about overpriced cartridges and papers :yikes

Good luck with your 830, or your next printer.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    I think microsoft's new spy program killed the driver in my printer. An old HP 5550.

I was using it sparingly, mostly to print out info, and I can still do that much, just no color or any of the other niceties. The cost of ink turned me into, if I want it, I will have it printed frame of mind. The paper, Kodak, from Sam's, it was working for me, if I needed it. I never tried a third party ink, mostly I was afraid of the mess and not having the expertise.

I am extremely jealous of the great new printers I hear about.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.