Options

Lesson Learned??

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited June 20, 2006 in Wildlife
So, there I was minding my own business.. and out of nowhere I spotted a bear feeding in a meadow.

76350272-M.jpg

I took quite a few decent shots but could never really get close enough for what I was wanting. The bear hung out for quite a while and finally wandered back off into the woods. And for most people that would have been enough, but for a few of you who know me probably could guess what I did next. Of course I followed it....

Well somehow the bear got up on a hill and behind me, and to make a long story short, the next thing I knew I hear a branch break, I spun around to see a fairly large black bear coming straight down the hill at me at full speed. I stood my ground and raised the camera, and tried to make myself look like I would be much more of a problem than I proably would have been. And much to my suprise ( and delight ), the bear changed directions about 15 feet or so away from me.

The following pictures are the bear during the turn and on it way back up the hill and then at the top giving me the stare while he's catching his breath.. I know the focus is bad but it is what it is.. and no I didn't get any shots of him coming down the hill :)

76356815-M.jpg

76357179-M.jpg

76357559-M.jpg

So, did I learn my lesson about following a bear into the woods?? Naaahhh

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I don't mean to be rude, Ed. And I'm certainly no wilderness expert.

But if your last line is actually how you feel, I have reservations about your judgment. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 19, 2006
    my question would NOT be: 'does a bear s--t in the woods?'-

but would be: 'does a photographer who follows a bear into the woods s--t in his pants?'-

george
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't mean to be rude, Ed. And I'm certainly no wilderness expert.

But if your last line is actually how you feel, I have reservations about your judgment. ne_nau.gif

I constantly have reservations about my judgement...

I will watch my back a little better in the future, I still don't know how he got behind me. Unless of course it was a different bear.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    eek7.gif Wow......Ed. I heard the rumors you were a bear chaser but this seals the deal. Im glad your still with us. Were you alone?

Wow...... :uhoh
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    eek7.gif Wow......Ed. I heard the rumors you were a bear chaser but this seals the deal. Im glad your still with us. Were you alone?

Wow...... :uhoh

Yeah I was alone in the woods, the girls were at the other side of the meadow near the car. I wouldn't let them come with me in an area I didn't know.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ehughes wrote:

clap.gifclap.gif

It's only a cuddly bear, for crying out loud lol3.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I have reservations about your judgment. ne_nau.gif

Hmmmm, Sid you were there with us at yosemite weren't you. Didn't you hear about ed chasing bears then? See I read this and it's just the same ole Ed to me. Just means if he invites you shooting you have to bring a bag full of steaks with ya, kinda like if you go shooting with Andy. Only difference is with ed the steak will be to distract the bear instead of andy so you can get away.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ehughes wrote:

I stood my ground and raised the camera,

Maybe he only got close enough to see the Canon in your hand and then took off running for fear.

Everyone knows, bears favor Nikon quality . . . :D
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Sounds like pretty well know Bear tactic to me.
    It's what they do, double back and come at you from above. I'd considered myself lucky nothing more came of it.

Only problem I see is I wasn't there, sounds like fun and exciting shootin thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Sounds like no-one here thinks that bears are dangerous. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Sounds like no-one here thinks that bears are dangerous. headscratch.gif

Bears are dangerous? Wait a second now I'm the one who is confused.headscratch.gif I thought they just ate hunny out of bee hives and stole picnic baskets.

In all seriousness though everything is dangerous. Problem was he was alone, and lost track of what was going on around him. Can't let that happen.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    76356815-M.jpg

Ever looked at an old life magazine? They didn't give a rats behind most of the time about focus and blur (well I mean, I'm sure they did, but they made it "bad" on purpose often). Somehow it just worked...this one does that for me. Not sure why, but I just really really like this one.

Just stop wearing your muske cologne rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    my question would NOT be: 'does a bear s--t in the woods?'-

but would be: 'does a photographer who follows a bear into the woods s--t in his pants?'-

george

LMAO! rolleyes1.gif :lol
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Sid, Bears are dangerous creatures, Black Bears though are probably the least dangerous of the bunch, they ALMOST never attack humans. And personally, I have never heard of an attack on a human where the bear wasn't provoked or backed into a corner. Very seldom will a black bear even attack in defence of cubs.

I agree it could happen, but more often than not I feel more threatened on the freeway.

What the bear did was a bluff charge, meant to scare me away or let me know I wasn't welcome. I probably invaded his personal space and he was calling me on it.

I know it sounded like I was making light of the situation, but believe me I took it seriously. And things could have gone different. If it had been a grizzly I probably wouldn't be typing this right now, but then again I never would have followed a grizzly into the woods.

But since they won't come to my house so I can get a picture, I have to go to theirs.

A couple of Black Bear facts:

Recorded killings by black bears this century total only 28 across North America

The 500,000 black bears in North America kill fewer than one person per 3 years, on the average, despite hundreds of thousands of encounters.

To put this in perspective, for each death from a black bear across North America, there are approximately 17 deaths from spiders, 25 deaths from snakes, 67 deaths from dogs, 150 deaths from tornadoes, 180 deaths from bees and wasps, 374 deaths from lightning, and 90,000 homicides in the United States alone (data from the National Center for Health Statistics, 1980-1983).

• Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    Thanks Ed, I didn't know that. Good info. Not trying to give you a hard time, I was just bemused.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Ed, I didn't know that. Good info. Not trying to give you a hard time, I was just bemused.

I didn't think you were giving me a hard time..
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 19, 2006
    Girl dies in bear attack at Cherokee National Forest

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=4770543&nav=menu7_2_2

happened just recently

by the way, those are neat statistics, but my underpants, that want to stay clean, say those odds might increase dramatically the closer you are to a bear-

george
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I'm glad everything worked out Ok Ed.

Wild animals are just that. Wild.

More people are injured at Yellowstone park every year by buffalo than any other animal.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Photographers on the chase of a photo are not known for their sense. I have personally laid down in the middle of the road several times.

Then there was the sucking pluff mud!

Snakes? If I get bitten I will worry then.

Bears???? Where? I could follow Ed, he would be the bait!

I like that one photo, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ehughes wrote:

Once bitten twice shy.... Obviously you are still waiting to get bitten to become a little shy rolleyes1.gifrofl

Neat shots though

Stan
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Some adventure!

Be honest...did you fill your pans with last night dinner and when he came in smell-range he turned away? rolleyes1.gif

Well, we all glad it turnes out allright.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Ed,

Did you ever read or hear about the nut case guy who camped out on bear trails, and sang to them? NO huh, well he won't be telling any more bear stories, because he became bear poop. :D

Glad all is well, but maybe, I'm just saying maybe here, you might want to consider a longer lense that would keep you out of paw swat, mock charge, oops! not mock charge range. ne_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,212 moderator
    edited June 19, 2006
    Timothy Treadwell
    wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

Sam wrote:
    Ed,
    Did you ever read or hear about the nut case guy who camped out on bear trails, and sang to them? NO huh, well he won't be telling any more bear stories, because he became bear poop. :D
    Glad all is well, but maybe, I'm just saying maybe here, you might want to consider a longer lense that would keep you out of paw swat, mock charge, oops! not mock charge range. ne_nau.gif
    Sam
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    well I saw it in yosemite --bear ed -- no no that brings a vision eek7.gif :uhoh ed the bear man --no that is no better headscratch.gif man that chases bears named ed that will do . you ain't gooing to stop umph.gif but black bears are not nice bears and that guy that lived and feed the grizzleys --just keep your head up thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Ed you're a nut. Just don't get mauled before I have a chance to go bear chasing with you :D. Those are some great shots you got in the Eastern Sierras, the bears and the landscapes. I really liked the waterfall with the tree in the middle of it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Ed,

Sam

I've seen that movie a couple of times, I'm nowhere near that crazy or careless. If you've never seen it, check it out. Treadwell was "out there" to say the least.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    :D
    gluwater wrote:
    Ed you're a nut. Just don't get mauled before I have a chance to go bear chasing with you :D. Those are some great shots you got in the Eastern Sierras, the bears and the landscapes. I really liked the waterfall with the tree in the middle of it.

Thanks Nick, and don't worry I'll be careful. :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 20, 2006
    In the backcountry, it is common practice to challenge bears that come into
    your camp site. The standard is to throw rocks and bang pots and pans.
    On the trail, it depends where the wind is blowing and other factors. But
    generally speaking, bears don't want to be around people. This is different
    where bears have frequent contact with people and where people do stupid
    things (like feed them, leave food in places it is easily accessible or don't
    properly deal with your trash).

What Ed did was right. Had he run, you may well have read about him in the
    paper. The one criticism would be not paying attention to where the bear
    was going (or if others were nearby).

Of course the wild is just that. Wild. What works in many situations may
    not work in all. In otherwords, your milage may vary.

Thanks for sharing Ed.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Nice shooting, Ed!
    I'm sure Sid only wants you and your family the best...
    And I'm afraid to say I'd probably do what you've done.. Kinda runs in the veins :D
    Any Mono shots lately? And I totally missed Bodie.. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    thallidaythalliday Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    One of my favorite lines came from a ranger in Yosemite. He used to remind the visitors, "Remember that when you enter the wilderness you become part of the food chain."
    -Tom

A photographer and his money are soon parted.