Options

Ch 67: Lamina of stars

dgafphotodgafphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited June 21, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
76553487-L.jpg
Shot this at 4am over the weekend. The combination of strong moonlight and +1ev in photoshop gave it a cool daytime look. I forgot my remote so I had to hold the shutter with my finger for 8 minutes to get this shot so pardon the slight tremor in the star trails. I should have posted here first before submitting my entry but this is my first time doing something like this so I am clueless. All C&C are welcome. I hope to enter more challenges in the future. Thanks in advance.

Nikon D70 @ 18mm, ISO 200, F/6.3, ~435sec

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 21, 2006
    I bet you meant to say 8 seconds rather than 8 minutes... rolleyes1.gif

very nice shot!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I bet you meant to say 8 seconds rather than 8 minutes... rolleyes1.gif

very nice shot!

nope.....i said it right. I had to hold the shutter for 8 minutes and yes it was painful. I will never travel without my remote again.
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Lovely shot! I bet that finger must be killing! ... going to go and search on ebay for a remote .... I think I 'need' one mwink.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 21, 2006
    dgafphoto wrote:
    nope.....i said it right. I had to hold the shutter for 8 minutes and yes it was painful. I will never travel without my remote again.

Wow! What are you shooting with? Wouldn't the shutter simply remain open by itself based on your settings? ne_nau.gif

You must've used a tripod or set your camera on a solid surface, right?
  • Options
    wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    dgafphoto wrote:

Man, that would be like onset of rigor mortis setting in if it were my finger. Well, no matter how severe the pain I think this shot was worth it.thumb.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Wow! What are you shooting with? Wouldn't the shutter simply remain open by itself based on your settings? ne_nau.gif

You must've used a tripod or set your camera on a solid surface, right?

Yup...Had it set on a tripod. With the Nikon D70 you have to put the camera in "bulb" mode to take really long exposures. Without the remote you have to hold the shutter down as long as you want the exposure. However, if you have a remote you simply press the remote button one quick time to start th exposure and then you hit it again to end the exposure. I have a remote control program for my pda that I use as I was able to find the nikon code. There are some remotes you can buy on ebay for particular cameras that work pretty well or you can just buy the remote made by the manufacturer of your camera. Hope this helps. Any other questions let me know and thanks for all the comments on the shot.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Great shot, but I dont think it will work for the competition.
    As for the finger aches, I an empathise with you.
    I made a wired remote without the bulb button, and after 101 sec, my finger was saying owwww.
    Kudos to you for lasting for 8 minutes!
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    This is a really cool shot. It's amazing how much like daytime a long exposure can look. Ach, 8 minutes! I never would have held out that long. Great results though!

As a Lamina challenge shot? I'm not so sure... it never hurts to enter though, every judge is different.
    Chris
  • Options
    ChuckMChuckM Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Wow. Looks like daylight with the stars. I had no idea the foreground could be that bright.

What kind of tripod did you use? (I may be in the market.)