Options

Computer History measured by Trade Show buttons . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited June 25, 2006 in Holy Macro
Someone will be amused by this shot.

76846069-L.jpg

Cleaning a storage area of my basement tonight and found these.

I used to work for WordPerfect. They were the dominant word processor of the late 80's and early 90's. In the mid-90's, WordPerfect didn't recognize that MS Windows would soon be on everyone's computer. So they tried to be everything to everybody. DOS, Windows, OS/2, Mac, Unix, VAX, DG, Next - versions for all the available and potential operating systems.

They were unsuccessful in this effort. They missed the threat of Microsoft and Windows. And WordPerfect's Windows version wasn't very good. WordPerfect is still around but only as a shadow of their former self.

These are trade show buttons that I found in a box while cleaning the basement.

My favorite is "Sticking with DOS". Pretty funny . . . :D .

This shot is my photo-of-the day in the smugmug daily photos community. Be a part!
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    My mom *loves* WordPerfect. She uses Word when she has to (which is usually), since everyone else is. But she says WP just works, and works sensibly. I don't know, I'm on a Mac.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 21, 2006

I used to work for WordPerfect. They were the dominant word processor of the late 80's and early 90's. In the mid-90's, WordPerfect didn't recognize that MS Windows would soon be on everyone's computer. So they tried to be everything to everybody. DOS, Windows, OS/2, Mac, Unix, VAX, DG, Next - versions for all the available and potential operating systems.

They were unsuccessful in this effort.
    WP was great in its day. Of course, most of us were coming from WordStar at that time. WordStar was also great when most of us were coming from typewriters (or ed and nroff on UNIX, for the really advanced). I still believe that 80% of the value of word processors comes from the destructive backspace key.
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    omg OS/2 rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    that's scraping the recesses of my memory.

They were unsuccessful in this effort. They missed the threat of Microsoft and Windows. And WordPerfect's Windows version wasn't very good. WordPerfect is still around but only as a shadow of their former self.

This shot is my photo-of-the day in the smugmug daily photos community. Be a part!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    "Sticking with DOS" is too funny rolleyes1.gif:D
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    OS/2, DOS, VAX. OMG dude your old school. Whats worse is it makes me feel old cause I remember these, and remember using them. Hell I still miss my atari that ran on basic.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    scooter78666scooter78666 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Thanks for sharing this bit of computer history
    I used to use WordPerfect in those days. Their 'sworn allegience' via their trade show button messages reminds me of the guy with a harem of 8, who swore he was "scrupulously faithful" to all eight. Smiles
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    nice but dont know computer of past saw 1st pic 8 years ago
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006

Ahhhhh its amazing what you find when you have a big clean up isnt it :D
    I still have an old AMIGA 2000 still in the box's it came in and monitor in the storage room ..... also found an old entry form for a colouring competion I entered as a kid, and didnt send that one in cause I made a mistake.....I did another one and won a Tape Recorder rolleyes1.gif ..... treasures are fun to find........ lovely shot and story ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin