Options

Photo Caption

Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited June 22, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

I am very new to the photography business, but I have been trying to learn it for a long time now. I am going to submit some of my photos to magazines. Some magazines ask for photo captions. When I am sending in digital images, how do I caption them? I can't imagine putting the caption on the actual photo in PS. I do plan on sending in a CD with a sheet of paper with thumbnails printed on it so they can see the images. Some magazines also ask for a stock photo list so I can do that also, but I am not sure how to caption the photos.

Thank you,

Karen

karenlynch.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 22, 2006
    Karenl39 wrote:
    Hi,

I am very new to the photography business, but I have been trying to learn it for a long time now. I am going to submit some of my photos to magazines. Some magazines ask for photo captions. When I am sending in digital images, how do I caption them? I can't imagine putting the caption on the actual photo in PS. I do plan on sending in a CD with a sheet of paper with thumbnails printed on it so they can see the images. Some magazines also ask for a stock photo list so I can do that also, but I am not sure how to caption the photos.

Karen

karenlynch.smugmug.com
    If you use Photoshop, you can enter a caption in one of the IPTC fields by using File->File Info... Many other editing programs also allow you to do this. However, as far as I know there is no IPTC field that specifically says "caption," so you should check with the magazine folks to find out where they would like the text to be. The IPTC information is not visible in the image, BTW.

Hope this helps.