Options

* Is this a Landscape Pathfinder wants to know?

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited October 30, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I finally managed to wake up before sunrise this morning, and while my spouse went to church, I played hooky and went over to Lincoln Trails State Park in Illinois. There is a lovely lake there that gets nice early morning sunlight.

I shot lots of frames and the best I think is this one that was just fortuitous - not what I went there for at all - SO - Is this a landscape? And if it is, what suggestions for improvement or criticisms would you like to suggest?
I thank one and all for their comments.:clap

10312422-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I would definitely say yes. But then again my interpretations of the themes lately have not been the best. I like this. Not something you see every day as you would have to wake up before sunrise to see it mwink.gif .

Aso for improvements I didnt like the reflections on the lower right and left sides on first glance but then the more I looked I notices the trees are reflecting all over the water and not just in these spots so I would leave it. I kinda like the effect those brighter reflections produce now. I dont think i would do anything to it. Isnt it funny how more often than not your best shots end up being just quick shots you got when setting up for another shot. At least that has been the case with me the last couple weeks. ne_nau.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Path I would say yes and I personally wouldn't change it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I finally managed to wake up before sunrise this morning, and while my spouse went to church, I played hooky and went over to Lincoln Trails State Park in Illinois. There is a lovely lake there that gets nice early morning sunlight.

I shot lots of frames and the best I think is this one that was just fortuitous - not what I went there for at all - SO - Is this a landscape? And if it is, what suggestions for improvement or criticisms would you like to suggest?
    I thank one and all for their comments.clap.gif

10312422-S.jpg
    And a very good one indeed. The only suggestion I might make is to check the rotation.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    I would definitely say yes.

Aso for improvements I didnt like the reflections on the lower right and left sides on first glance but then the more I looked I notices the trees are reflecting all over the water and not just in these spots so I would leave it. I kinda like the effect those brighter reflections produce now. I dont think i would do anything to it. Isnt it funny how more often than not your best shots end up being just quick shots you got when setting up for another shit. At least that has been the case with me the last couple weeks. ne_nau.gif

I thought about burning in or cloning out the yellow reflections in the lower corners just as you described, but ultimately thought I would leave it alone as they match the trees on the shore just as you stated so well.

And yes I also agree that many of my favorite shots were grab shots while I was beavering away trying to capture something else entirely. Like the guy said " Half the secret of success is just showing up"

• Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Hey Path,

Well, I think the capture itself is really cool. Lovely as always Path.

BUT, could I first see an original to shed a real oppinion? My 'post' oppinions could probably be more helpful if I had an original to work off. The backround seems to be too much for my pee-sized brain to handle. I'm not looking at the geese, cause I can't stop looking at the backround.

And as far as it being a landscape, I'de say absolutely.

Nice nice!
    Marshall
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    a pondscape :)
    you betcha, path, that's a fine landscape. lovely shot.

pathfinder wrote:

I thank one and all for their comments.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    And a very good one indeed. The only suggestion I might make is to check the rotation.

I have checked with the ruler marker in PS and it needs about 0.16 degrees CCW if I measure the fog and about 0.39 CW if I measure the blue water :D - so I am inclined to think it is ok.
    To be honest I did not see a slant at all ( but I did not think to measure it either ) , but I gather you feel you do - What do you think it needs Charles - and thank you for this information.

When I continue to examine the image and use a cropping box I find that the fog seems level, but the water surface seems to be slightly lower on the left - is this your perception also? This I can fix of course and I may upload an altered verrsion later.

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have checked with the ruler marker in PS and it needs about 0.16 degrees CCW if I measure the fog and about 0.39 CW if I measure the blue water :D - so I am inclined to think it is ok.
    To be honest I did not see a slant at all ( but I did not think to measure it either ) , but I gather you feel you do - What do you think it needs Charles - and thank you for this information.

When I continue to examine the image and use a cropping box I find that the fog seems level, but the water surface seems to be slightly lower on the left - is this your perception also? This I can fix of course and I may upload an altered verrsion later.
    it was a gut feel, but the notebook is sitting on my lap and is itself not straight so probably I was just seeing things.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    on the level, pathfinder ...
    it looks straight to me... nothing to 9496501-Ti.gif over lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Hey Path,

Well, I think the capture itself is really cool. Lovely as always Path.

BUT, could I first see an original to shed a real oppinion? My 'post' oppinions could probably be more helpful if I had an original to work off. The backround seems to be too much for my pee-sized brain to handle. I'm not looking at the geese, cause I can't stop looking at the backround.

And as far as it being a landscape, I'de say absolutely.

Nice nice!
    Marshall

I am glad you like the image, but the background in this image is tame compared to several that I have not displayed - the colors are real, not altered. And the light shaft was just pure blinking luck!! But the fog was real and I knew I would see fog this morning at sunrise. 1drink.gif

I am in the process of uplinking the "Original" - that is to say the 16bit file I brought into Photoshop from the RAW file that came out of my 20D. I did not alter the color temperature of the image, but I did set the exposure and the black points in converting from RAW. The 'original" image I have uplinked to smugmug in 8 bit. Here it is....
    10318628-M.jpg

I was probably 400 yards or more from where the geese were landing. Here is another shot of the shoreline and this is a pretty straight image, not a highly saturated image - my camera is set up to capture more saturated images right now, but this is the way it looked to my eyes also....

10312420-L.jpg

Nice fall color, but I really liked the geese landing much better - I will have to go back again with my longer glass next time.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it looks straight to me... nothing to 9496501-Ti.gif over lol3.gif

Thanks Andy - But like I told Charles - I had not measured it so you never know........
    :D:D

• Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks Andy - But like I told Charles - I had not measured it so you never know........
    :D:D

After thinking over the comments made about my shot of the geese landing, I have recropped and edited a slightly different version that I am going to submit for opinions re; which version you all prefer....

Original submission....

10312422-L.jpg

A newer version not cropped as tight and with the water burned in a little more ..... Opinions pro or con??? I think I prefer the second version.

10485472-L.jpg

I will have to decide by Thursday evening, as I wil be on the road again for the weekend. So thank you all in advance

bowdown.gif

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 28, 2004
    I think 2 looks better. Just that little extra on the side?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    I like the new version better. The only con to it that I can even think of is that the new crop brings the geese into the center of the frame. Im not even sure that that is a con though. Rules are made to be broken and it works here. Very nice shot.thumb.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    I prefer the original. I think the crop weakens the composition. I wouldn't darken the water, myself. I'd think about increasing the saturation in the trees, maybe, and perhaps finding a way to emphasize the shaft of light and the mist. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I prefer the original. I think the crop weakens the composition. I wouldn't darken the water, myself. I'd think about increasing the saturation in the trees, maybe, and perhaps finding a way to emphasize the shaft of light and the mist. ne_nau.gif
    Thanks waxy - I looked at different crops of this image and the choice is to emphasize the reflections or the trees - My first crop kept the bulk of the birds nearer the lower right sweet spot and if I enlarge the water area slightly, I do move the birds more near the center which I think is why you prefer my first image. ALso darkening the reflections draws attention from the light in the trees - An interesting conundrumn. I still have not made up my own mind fully yet either - I think the difficulty is in deciding what is the primary and secondary subjects in this image birds, trees, or water .....I am still interested in other viewers opinion now since we have a very close election going on here:D :D

• Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks waxy - I looked at different crops of this image and the choice is to emphasize the reflections or the trees - My first crop kept the bulk of the birds nearer the lower right sweet spot and if I enlarge the water area slightly, I do move the bords more near the center which I think is why you prefer my first image. ALso darkening the reflections draws attention from the light in the trees - An interesting conundrumn. I still have not made up my own mind fully yet either - I think the difficulty is in deciding what is the primary and secondary subjects in this image birds, trees, or water .....I am still interested in other viewers opinion now since we have a very close election going on here:D :D

I figured your dilemma was that the bright water detracted from the trees. I wonder what it would look like with everything maximed?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I figured your dilemma was that the bright water detracted from the trees. I wonder what it would look like with everything maximed?

:duel Ok Ok Waxy I have gone back and reworked the image again - just for you - I have returned to the original cropping but overlay burned in the foreground and the trees and lightened the light shaft and saturated the trees slightly more

10522922-L.jpg

This will be my submision for the challenge as I as leaving for Tennesssee in the morning. I will try to check in from time to time. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    thumb.gif I like it!
    Sid.
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    great shot! Love the mist coming off the water thumb.gif