ISO and flash range regardless of shutter speed

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited June 24, 2006 in Accessories
I built the table herewith for those who use the mesure unit meters – like everybody should in a more and more normalized world – and in inches for those who still use this old system.
The values are from the Canon 20D manual
page 93 and valid for the built in flash of this camera.
I made this table because I read the articles on flash posted here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33703 - and mainly this one http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html , which I think is very practical and useful. Here I thank his author Neil van Niekerk I have notified of this post some moments ago.

This table (Excel) gives us an idea how the ISO is related to the aperture and affects the lenght the light can travel from the flash, regardless of the speed we are using.

I have used these attributes when I shot the baptism the other day, trying to capture the environment of the church.
I had a little success on this in spite of my lack of experience …
75422322-M.jpg

I am no professional but just well equipped demanding amateur who pretends to make good pictures. :huh
I would like to have this table for the lenses and flash I own: the 16~35 f/2.8 L USM; the 24~70 f/2.8 L USM and the 70~200 f/2.8 L USM IS. Flash ? The 430 EX.
I hope I made myself clear in my clumsy English.
I invite those who know 2.565,89 times more than I do on photography to give their comments and contributes to this post. :clap
Thank you. :thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Important matter to you ? 6 votes

Yes
50% 3 votes
No
33% 2 votes
Do not know
16% 1 vote
Don't care
0% 0 votes

Comments

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Great chart! I'm interested in seeing what the more "advanced" photographers have to say about it.

Unfortunately, I have up on the built-in flash a long, long, time ago! But, it's nice to visually see the difference in gain as the ISO increases.

Thanks Antonio! Hope your doing well!:D When's your lens supposed to arrive?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    This is interesting to read. Took me a while to understand that you were working with two different lenses.

A cultural question: In science (my BS is in Chemistry), I was taught m => meters, ml=> mili-litres. So, I'm confused about the units used in your metric portion of the chart. Can you help me to understand?

Thanks.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    This is interesting to read. Took me a while to understand that you were working with two different lenses.

A cultural question: In science (my BS is in Chemistry), I was taught m => meters, ml=> mili-litres. So, I'm confused about the units used in your metric portion of the chart. Can you help me to understand?

Thanks.
    But of course Scott !
    My pleasure. ml in Portugal stands for linear meters. In portuguese we do not place the adjective before the substantive.
    I should have used m for meters which is more current and correct.
    In fact we use rarelly ml ... Sorry.
    ML used to stand for Marxist-Leninist in the past :D:D:D:D

But the tables are in ft also ...
    I am not working with 2 different lenses. My lenses at the moment are: 16~35 and 24-70 L USM. The 70~200 L USM IS is on the way.
    The table was constructed/made from the figures which are in the
    Canon 20D manual page 93.
    And they refer to this lens.
    You see, I was right when I wrote in the post :"I hope I made myself clear in my clumsy English."

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Regards thumb.gif
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    But of course Scott !
    My pleasure. ml in Portugal stands for linear meters. In portuguese we do not place the adjective before the substantive.
    I should have used m for meters which is more current and correct.
    In fact we use rarelly ml ... Sorry.
    ML used to stand for Marxist-Leninist in the past :D:D:D:D

But the tables are in ft also ...
    I am not working with 2 different lenses. My lenses at the moment are: 16~35 and 24-70 L USM. The 70~200 L USM IS is on the way.
    The table was constructed/made from the figures which are in the
    Canon 20D manual page 93.
    And they refer to this lens.
    You see, I was right when I wrote in the post :"I hope I made myself clear in my clumsy English."

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Regards thumb.gif

You probably know more about the english language than we do!:D

I'm with you, I wish the world would all switch to metric units!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
    edited June 22, 2006
    You probably know more about the english language than we do!:D
    :D:D

I'm with you, I wish the world would all switch to metric units !
    thumb.gifthumb
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Thanks for the contributions, Antonio!
    edited June 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the contributions, Antonio!

Thank you Andy.
    As you see by the number of posts there aren't so many people interested... ne_nau.gif
    Never mind ...
    It's OK. Let's go on shooting ... and learning. :):
    Oh. By the way. I made the graphics but I've no time now to post it (!)
    Later.
    thumb.gif