Options

Portraits: How do you find clients?

NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited June 22, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Or how do clients find you?

If you're a portrait photographer, how do you market your services? Advertising? Where?

I photograph children (please check out my site at www.candidglimpses.smugmug.com ) and families. So far, I've relied on word of mouth advertising by doing free shoots for close friends and having them pass along my url to their other friends.

I'm also a member of some moms groups and have been able to get the word out to them. My next step is to put an ad in a local parenting magazine (those freebies you can pick up at the library). And my kids' preschool has offered to have me take school portraits in Sept. I'll probably accept although that's not really my style, kwim.

Any other ways I can get potential clients to notice me?
Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I have been successful with google, focusing on local key words.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    I'm gonna give away one of my secrets...

Project22.jpg

I made this on a photo editing program...see, it's like a business card, because it gives all of your information and everything they need to know to get in touch with you....but it ALSO gives some examples of the type of work you do. see, this way, they don't have to go to your website and sort through all of the galleries to decide whether they like you or not...it's ALL right THERE!
    now, what I do is print that out at WalMart for a mere 19 cents per photo - on a 4X6. so when you do some advertising and hand that out, you're handing out 4X6 photos with pictures and information on them! most people think that's so clever!!!! and yes, I did come up with it...if I do say so myself! hahah.

also, hand it out to people you know - school? teachers? parents? co workers? then tell them to help get the word out there. you're best bet is friends, because they can be your NUMBER ONE advertising asset, because not only do they know people that you don't, they can also say what a great person you are and what an amazing photographer you are. so that's one way.

and those are two ways to help. I hope they do!!!!

P.S. - don't give away my secret too much....haha.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4