Options

WTB: hotshoe spirit level

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 27, 2006 in Flea Market
I can see them at adorama and b&h (as well as in many other places), but it seems a bit strange to pay $25..$35 for a tiny piece of a translucent plastic.. :scratch
I'm looking for something under $10 (better under $5:-) :dunno
TIA :thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    level
    i use a a round one, plastic, that I bought from a hardware for $5.00

you could get the crossed cylinder type-two planes-for about $10.00
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Does it have a hotshoe mount?
    gtc wrote:
    i use a a round one, plastic, that I bought from a hardware for $5.00

you could get the crossed cylinder type-two planes-for about $10.00

But hey, it might be a cool DYI project: get a level, use the file to profile it to fit the hotshoe:-)

Thanks!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    But hey, it might be a cool DYI project: get a level, use the file to profile it to fit the hotshoe:-)

Thanks!

Way toooo much work....find someone in a machine shop and have run thru a Manual Milling machine.......heck of a lot faster and some of the machinist just might do it for free.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Art,
    Art Scott wrote:
    Way toooo much work....find someone in a machine shop and have run thru a Manual Milling machine.......heck of a lot faster and some of the machinist just might do it for free.

If I had a MMM, I'd do it myself, I'm qualified.. The problem is - I have no idea where to look for one. Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks are anything but industrial zones..ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the idea, though thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited June 24, 2006
    Calumet sold me the same basic yellow dual mount spirit level a few years back for about $8. Now I see they're $29.99. Must have got some new employee that didn't look it up, or they didn't know they could get 30 bucks for it back then.

They shouldn't be that much. But they are.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    David,
    David_S85 wrote:
    Calumet sold me the same basic yellow dual mount spirit level a few years back for about $8. Now I see they're $29.99. Must have got some new employee that didn't look it up, or they didn't know they could get 30 bucks for it back then.

They shouldn't be that much. But they are.

That what ticks me off! I saw tons of this yellow boxes in Utah, and every single person I asked about the price was saying something to the extent of $5..$10. But when I look online the lowest price is $15..$19, and that one is associated with like $10 s/h, so essentially, same $25..$30 (or even way more).
    I don't get it..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    i find that i don't need a mount
    i put it on the flat circular rotator at the top of the legs under the head to level the tripod,then mount the camera and put the spirit level on top of the hot shoe,level the camera and put it in my pocket...if you wanted to you could blu- tak it or similar but there is really no need

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Greg,
    gtc wrote:
    i put it on the flat circular rotator at the top of the legs under the head to level the tripod,then mount the camera and put the spirit level on top of the hot shoe,level the camera and put it in my pocket...if you wanted to you could blu- tak it or similar but there is really no need

That's exactly the thing: I'm not sure that I need it, so I would like to try. And since it's obviously not something I will use everyday, it will take me much longer than any standard return period.. ne_nau.gif
    I'm OK to spend $5..$10 to experiment, but spending $25+ for a potential no-gonna-use-piece-of-junk is killing my psyche..:):
    Cheers, mate!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    OK, got something to play with..
    One trip to OSH (hardware chain) and $1.99+tax made me a proud owner of an Empire Bullseye Level:

3604.jpg

No shoe mount ne_nau.gif , but fits any pocket :D (it's a quarter size in diameter and a quarter of an inch thick:-) and should do the job until I decide I'm ready to play with the Big Dogs:-)

Thanks for your help! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Does your camera have a flash shoe cover....if so get an extra one and super glue the bullseye level to it.......now you have a level that is shoemountable and will not just fall off .
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    One trip to OSH (hardware chain) and $1.99+tax made me a proud owner of an Empire Bullseye Level:

3604.jpg

No shoe mount ne_nau.gif , but fits any pocket :D (it's a quarter size in diameter and a quarter of an inch thick:-) and should do the job until I decide I'm ready to play with the Big Dogs:-)

Thanks for your help! thumb.gif
    I can't make those work.

The only one I can make work has a vertical level and a horizontal level. That way, no matter the camera's oreintation and angle, I can always level it. Can't do with a bull's eye level, at least, I can't.

Like this.

0e_2.JPG
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I can't make those work.

The only one I can make work has a vertical level and a horizontal level. That way, no matter the camera's oreintation and angle, I can always level it. Can't do with a bull's eye level, at least, I can't.

Like this.

0e_2.JPG

Aren't these already made to fit hot shoe?

At least the ones fron porters are made to fit shoe...but almost $40.00

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Aren't these already made to fit hot shoe?

At least the ones fron porters are made to fit shoe...but almost $40.00
    Yes, hot shoe sliders on them. I bought mine a few years ago, I don't think I paid $30-$40, but I see that's what they're going for now.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    it wasn't that long ago that they were selling for under$10 at B/H and Adorama....and place like Porters and other like them had them for under $5......I do not understand how prices can jump so high (exception gasoline and oil of course) in such a short period of time.ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

• Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Thanks, Art
    Art Scott wrote:
    Does your camera have a flash shoe cover....if so get an extra one and super glue the bullseye level to it.......now you have a level that is shoemountable and will not just fall off .

I had no idea there is such thing as a flash shoe cover... I will check it out!
    Thanks, man!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    keep it loose
    i prefer to keep it loose-use it to level the tripod base and then onto camera hotshoe to level the camera and then off into the pocket-levelling the base ,then maybe the head does most of the work for you .

then finally the camera-this way your head is not at an angle to achieve a level horizon,which avoids balance problems with long lenses

.its also cheap enough to lose out in the field,but like lens caps that at put straight into the pocket tghis has not happened yet.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    One of the reasons I went with RRS' PCL clamp on top of the ball head was the bullseye level that was built-in so I would never have to mess with a hot shoe based spirit level again.

A spirit level is still good for hand-held shots though, but I tend to cheat and just rotate the shot in an editor if I get it wrong (which is most of the time).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    David,
    David_S85 wrote:
    One of the reasons I went with RRS' PCL clamp on top of the ball head was the bullseye level that was built-in so I would never have to mess with a hot shoe based spirit level again.

A spirit level is still good for hand-held shots though, but I tend to cheat and just rotate the shot in an editor if I get it wrong (which is most of the time).

May I ask you: what is the advantage of having $275 PCL clamp on top of the (already expensive) ball head (presumably the one with panoramic lock/knob) compared to having $1.99 (or even $30) separate spirit level?
    I honestly wondering...headscratch.gif