Options

tear sheet? and subject release forms

bmweermanbmweerman Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited June 27, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
:scratch OK, I'm starting to do some research into marketing my photos, but companies are wanting "tear sheets", among other things. Could someone give me an idea of what a tear sheet is and what it should include? Also, release forms are requested. There are probably lots of templates available online, but I don't want to mess around with something that may not be appropriate. So...do any of you have suggestions for a good place to get such things and maybe other items that I haven't mentioned that would be of use. I'm all ears so lay it on me!!!

Thanks! Mrs. bmweerman :D

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    google is your friend
    Here is one example (it's for models, but for you it'll be pretty much the same): http://www.modelingscams.org/tearsheets.html
    There are plenty more on the very first hits page...
    As to release forms: check MYOB section and the books recommended by Shay.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    bmweermanbmweerman Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    See if I have this right...
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here is one example (it's for models, but for you it'll be pretty much the same): http://www.modelingscams.org/tearsheets.html
    There are plenty more on the very first hits page...
    As to release forms: check MYOB section and the books recommended by Shay.

HTH
    OK, so tear sheets are samples of published work, right? And it sounds like it needs to be THE actual published work, ie; a page from the magazine that it appears in. I've seen reference to sending postcards with sample work on them; 1-4 photos that the company can check out. Would those be considered tear sheets in this instance or am I way off base on all this? Thanks!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Not sure
    bmweerman wrote:
    OK, so tear sheets are samples of published work, right? And it sounds like it needs to be THE actual published work, ie; a page from the magazine that it appears in. I've seen reference to sending postcards with sample work on them; 1-4 photos that the company can check out. Would those be considered tear sheets in this instance or am I way off base on all this? Thanks!

.. about postcards, I mean. Tearsheet looks like an original page from a published work, or a good scan or a good copy of thereof.
    Postcards - well, anyone with a Photoshop, stock cards and a decent printer can make them plenty ne_nau.gif
    It's a proof that you have been published, i.e that you did "walk the walk", so to speak. Stepped through all the steps and jumped over all the obstacles that were in your way. It's a proof that you're not just another gal with dslr as the anniversary gift who managed to take a couple of correctly exposured and decently focused shots in "green" mode.

Just MHO, of course.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Just to reinforce Nikolai, yes, tear sheets are examples of your published photos. These are important if your are seeking assignment/employment from a news organization or the like ... kinda odd for a tear sheet to be requested if you are just marketing your photos. Maybe tear sheets are a further validation that the photos are yours, or of your resume.

Shooting news is more than just getting a good picture ... there is a lot of pressure to perform on cue, in less than ideal environments; consistancy can be reviewed vis-a-vis tear sheets, often research is required to develop photo opps; and the tear sheet will offer the interviewer an opportunity to compare photos taken by different photogs at an identical/similar event(s).

Still, the question remains, why they would want tear sheets?
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed