Options

looking for external harddrive

AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited June 30, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
for desktop to store pics

finding prices such as:

250 gig for $149.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7643071&type=product&id=1134698030480

400 Gig for $269.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7643115&type=product&id=1134698030602

...looking for as much storage as one can get in the $200-$300 range
any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks as always

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    To qualify....I am not now nore will I ever be a computer expert, wiz, , etc. But here is what I am doing.

Yesterday I bought a 3.5" hard drive enclosure. Cost $17.99. It comes with the enclosure, USB cable, power supply, instructions, and software (if needed).

Fry's has a 400 gig (internal) hard drive for $119.00.

Later today I will have an 400 gig external hard drive at a cost of $136.99 (+ tax of course).

Sam
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    ^WOW!

I bought a 120 gig external hard drive from newegg.com for about $100 bucks (now it is only about $80). The brand is Fantom Drives. I've been very happy with it and I believe you can now get a 300 gig for only about $136 at newegg.com.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    I'm taking a slightly different route. I got a 300GB drive at Newegg and removable drive tray, total about $130. It uses the native SATA II interface & more drives will just need a $14 extra tray.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    I personally prefer TigerDirect. They often have "deals" which include a 250gb (or more) HD and Ultra housing ... for example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2177418&CatId=136 ... for $90 total. I daisychain my fan-cooled Ultras ... they are both USB and Firewire compliant. I like the Ultra cases (which come in two versions, one USB, and one daisychainable with FireWire, so read the "deal" to be sure which case you are getting). Takes about 15 minutes to mount the drive in the case, another 10 or so to get recognized and format under XP (read the directions on how to do it).
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    I don't have any advice on a specific device, just a general heads up you probably already know. Don't use it as your only photo storage. A few days ago a friend of mine told that when he'd been to a computer store, a poor guy was returning a crashed external drive that had held his entire photo collection. :cry

Malte
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    may I suggest checking out sites such as:
    www.dealnews.com
    www.slickdeals.com

both of which scout for daily specials from millions of online retailers.

If you don't feel like being patient and waiting for a deal to pop up, then I'd try:
    www.pricewatch.com
    www.pricegrabber.com

both of which are sites that show many online retailers and the cheapest prices, they also offer reviews of those retailers so you know the quality of the store, customer support, etc.

Most times the customer support and the prices are far better than the box stores like best buy, comp usa, and circuit city.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2006
    Those $550 prices are not real. I wouldn't touch those places with a 10' pole--remember that if it looks too good to be true, it is. This is especially true of online camera places (not surprisingly those lowball prices are from places located in New Jersey). Caveat Emptor.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2006
    Hi Chris
    I dropped into their web site and also called...they look legit although the $550 price for the 20D was located at (see above) strangely not affiliated with this store??? BestSalePrices.com...they were currently out of stock and when they have more in stock... they sell the 20D for $1100.00 plus

My wife and I have purchased a ton of stuff (electronics etc.) online for the past 4-5 years...sometimes (rarely) finding crazy (rediculously low prices) for new in the box ...one just has to do a little detective work before ordering...

..perhaps we should start a thread passing on any tricks or precautions (we all have learned over the years) to confirm legit sellers before ordering online...!

Regards
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Anson wrote:
    ...looking for as much storage as one can get in the $200-$300 range any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks as always
    Compusa has the Iomega Silver 250GB External Hard drives USB 2.0 for $139.00 each.

Two of them is 500gb (~470 Usable gb's) for $278+tax and shipping if you don't get them at a local location like I do. $9 more than the 400gb drive and you get 100gb extra. Plus if there becomes a problem with one drive you don't loose as much as you would if it was all on one drive.

PS I have been using and carrying one of these around with me daily for almost a year. Never a problem.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    I just bought a 300GB Seagate SATA2 drive for $100 and this USB/SATA external enclosure for $47 from Newegg. I've used my share of enclosures and I have to say, this one rocks. Lightweight, *quiet*, built-in fan, everything lines up perfectly and fits together easily. No flashy colors or gaudy lights - it deosn't scream l33t haxor. It's a little more expensive than some other crap out there but you get what you pay for. I'm using the USB connection since my 6-year-old PC doesn't have SATA anything. My new PC that I'll build later this year will, though, and having the external storage as fast as the internal wil be nice. For your $300 price point, heck, buy two.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    Anson wrote:
    I dropped into their web site and also called...they look legit although the $550 price for the 20D was located at (see above) strangely not affiliated with this store??? BestSalePrices.com...they were currently out of stock and when they have more in stock... they sell the 20D for $1100.00 plus

My wife and I have purchased a ton of stuff (electronics etc.) online for the past 4-5 years...sometimes (rarely) finding crazy (rediculously low prices) for new in the box ...one just has to do a little detective work before ordering...

..perhaps we should start a thread passing on any tricks or precautions (we all have learned over the years) to confirm legit sellers before ordering online...!

Regards

I refer to resellerratings.com a lot. Here is the page on those guys: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller5039.html

I'll sum up my impressions of these guys with this: "Run, Forrest, run"

20Ds go used for $800 if you find a deal right now. I'd really stick with the major reputable online retailers with camera gar (B&H, Adorama, KEH, Samy's, Calumet, 17th St Photo, Canoga, and a couple of others). There's just too many scammers out there for cameras now. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd hate to see someone come back with a sad tale to add to the long list.