Options

Fools! They let me near a wedding with a camera.

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited July 4, 2006 in Weddings
Color me cynical, but I generally don't like going to weddings. Mostly it's because all the pomp and money is likely being spent on a couple ill suited to each other and headed for divorce court in a few years.

But sometimes it's different.

My nephew got married a week ago. And this one feels good. They seem tight, and there's a good vibe around them. Yeah, I know, scientific, huh? But still, I think this one has a chance.

Anyway, the dopes let me in with a camera. Fools! They had an official photog, I was just messing around without a flash, as usual. The church was relatively dim, so I was on ISO 1600 and undrexposing to get my shutter speed up.

I had to make this one B&W, the color noise was impossible to fix. Even so, you can see noise, but I like her expression of joy so much I'm thinking it's worth it.

78944584-M.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    The only other one worth a darn is their exit. My sister had the bright idea to bring along little rice baggies, to shower the happy couple on the way out.

Pretty good idea, I thought.

78895474-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    Silly me forgot to use the Whibal to get good white and black points. 11doh.gif

So trying to get good skin tones has been about as easy as losing weight.

This is my brother, whose complexion actually is quite red.

78984407-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    Sooo, what would I do differently?

In the church, maybe use aperature priority more, instead of manual, and deal with the resulting slower shutter speed.

Remember to use the darn Whibal, there's a reason I have it in the bag!

And really, I need to break out the flash and actually use the darn thing from time to time.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 3, 2006
    Could I borrow that Whibal? I'd like to make sure I get the right tone for cynical.

I had almost forgotten why this umph.gif was your avatar.

As for photos, I like your use of wide angle in that second one, everyone really looks happy.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Could I borrow that Whibal? I'd like to make sure I get the right tone for cynical.

I had almost forgotten why this umph.gif was your avatar.
    lol3.gif Tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks, I really like the walking out shot. I may try to frame it for them.
    Sid.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I really like the first one, Sid. As you said, it's so joyful!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I really like the first one, Sid. As you said, it's so joyful!
    Thanks Marlof.

She was marvelously patient. You should have seen what the official photog put that poor couple through, and she did it all with a smile.
    Sid.
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I think they are terrific.. regardless of how much noise you had to fight with and the fact that you forgot to use your "whatever you called it thingamabob"... (what the heck is a whibal???)

The bride is beautiful... and definitely looks not just happy... but she has a peace about her that makes me think you are right.. she knows this is the right thing for her... I wish them luck..

As for the picture of your brother... it looks like he is very proud... and being the wimpy girl I am.. it actually made me tear up.. very sweet moment you captured there Sid... clap.gif
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    deeya wrote:
    I think they are terrific.. regardless of how much noise you had to fight with and the fact that you forgot to use your "whatever you called it thingamabob"... (what the heck is a whibal???)
    Thanks Denise!

He's a good guy, very sensitive.

Whibal is a cool little deal, if you have Photoshop. It's a credit card size stack of white, grey and black crads. Shoot it in your ambient light. Then in PS you can use the three cards to set a proper white balance.

It works best when you remember to use it!

500_1ds2_0000_2975_whibal.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Heya Sid,
    Congrats on your nephew's big event!

I didn't get one thing, though - weren't you shooting RAW?
    And if yes, why so much concern over the WB and this W-thingie (I presume it's a white/gray/balck point setter device)? You can always fix it later...ne_nau.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Congrats on your nephew's big event!

I didn't get one thing, though - weren't you shooting RAW?
    And if yes, why so much concern over the WB and this W-thingie (I presume it's a white/gray/balck point setter device)? You can always fix it later...ne_nau.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Thanks Nik!

Yup, always shoot RAW. But without a definite white/grey or black point, it's harder to get a correct white balance setting. You end up relying on your eye, which isn't the best way to go about it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    congratulation May God bless them happy life iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    Hmm,
    wxwax wrote:
    Yup, always shoot RAW. But without a definite white/grey or black point, it's harder to get a correct white balance setting. You end up relying on your eye, which isn't the best way to go about it.

May be it's just me being a foreigner and plain stupid, but isn't a wedding usually a "black tie" event?
    I mean - weren't there *p*l*e*n*t*y* of white shirts/dresses and black ties/jackets/tuxes to give you enough info for setting WB later on? ne_nau.gif

I'm honestly trying to figure out why such an experienced raw shooter as you needs a WB thingie... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 4, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm honestly trying to figure out why such an experienced raw shooter as you needs a WB thingie... headscratch.gif
    The more thingies, the better.

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I like all 3 shots, Sid....you did a great job. The expressions you captured on the father, the bride and your brother are all very priceless. It's wonderful to have moments like those captured in a photo. And yes, sometimes when things are right, weddings can be kind of nice!!! Congratulations to your nephew and blessings for a long and happy marriage.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,812 moderator
    edited July 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Silly me forgot to use the Whibal to get good white and black points. 11doh.gif

So trying to get good skin tones has been about as easy as losing weight.

This is my brother, whose complexion actually is quite red.

78984407-M.jpg

Sid,

I can detect at least 2 distinct light sources, with different white balance.

The best compromise I came up with, for this image, was:

RGB color space
    Levels - R-1.12, G-1.15, B-.8
    Switch mode to CMYK
    Levels - Y-1.9
    Switch back to RGB before saving.

This tended to yield the best flash-tones on all the other skin in the photo, and an acceptable gray on the collar of the fellow in the background (it appears to have been a white collar).

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    May be it's just me being a foreigner and plain stupid, but isn't a wedding usually a "black tie" event?
    I mean - weren't there *p*l*e*n*t*y* of white shirts/dresses and black ties/jackets/tuxes to give you enough info for setting WB later on? ne_nau.gif

The thing is, Nik, the white shirts aren't really white in natural light - they'll be shades of grey. If you make them pure white, they'll look blown out.

Ditto with black - it's rarely pure black.

I tried Pathfinder's suggestion of changing the values for the white and black eyedrops to something less than pure white and pure black, but as I mentioned, assigning values is pure guesswork. And I'm not very good at finding middle grey in a color image.

The Whibal, especially the middle grey card, takes all of the guesswork out of it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sid,

I can detect at least 2 distinct light sources, with different white balance.

The best compromise I came up with, for this image, was:

RGB color space
    Levels - R-1.12, G-1.15, B-.8
    Switch mode to CMYK
    Levels - Y-1.9
    Switch back to RGB before saving.

This tended to yield the best flash-tones on all the other skin in the photo, and an acceptable gray on the collar of the fellow in the background (it appears to have been a white collar).

ziggy53

thumb.gif

Thanks Ziggy! This gives me something to experiment with.

As always, you're very generous with your tips!

The background guy's shirt is actually blue. Here's my best attempt at white balancing his image.

78990091-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Sid, I see
    wxwax wrote:
    The thing is, Nik, the white shirts aren't really white in natural light - they'll be shades of grey. If you make them pure white, they'll look blown out.

Ditto with black - it's rarely pure black.

I tried Pathfinder's suggestion of changing the values for the white and black eyedrops to something less than pure white and pure black, but as I mentioned, assigning values is pure guesswork. And I'm not very good at finding middle grey in a color image.

The Whibal, especially the middle grey card, takes all of the guesswork out of it.

Thanks for the explanation! thumb.gif