Options

Paige

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited July 6, 2006 in People
This is the daughter of the bride entertaining herself prewedding, which do you like better?
Giselle

Comments

• Options
    edited July 5, 2006
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    The first one. Shows tons of attitude. :D
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    if you can control the highlights, the angle on #3 works the best
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Hi Giselle,
    Please take no offense, but...

These shots do not represent your abilities well. I've seen the other work you've posted here, and honestly these come across as snapshots in comparison. Everything from the lighting to the angles to the dirty mirror to the backgrounds and color just comes across rather poorly.

But...

The *concept* is great. Catching a playful moment of a child entertaining themselves with just a mirror IS a good idea and worth pursuing. It's just that the execution of these doesn't cut it in my opinion.

I hope you can appreciate this in the right spirit,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Please take no offense, but...

These shots do not represent your abilities well. I've seen the other work you've posted here, and honestly these come across as snapshots in comparison. Everything from the lighting to the angles to the dirty mirror to the backgrounds and color just comes across rather poorly.

But...

The *concept* is great. Catching a playful moment of a child entertaining themselves with just a mirror IS a good idea and worth pursuing. It's just that the execution of these doesn't cut it in my opinion.

I hope you can appreciate this in the right spirit,

Mongrel

I agree, they suck, but the mom liked them and wanted one, she wanted me to pick which ever one I liked best...but I didn't like any of them, so had a hard time picking, that is why I turned to yall for your opinion. And I am not offended at all by what you said...I am taking it as a compliment of my other work.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, maybe I should talk her into another shot...
    Giselle
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    I agree, they suck, but the mom liked them and wanted one, she wanted me to pick which ever one I liked best...but I didn't like any of them, so had a hard time picking, that is why I turned to yall for your opinion. And I am not offended at all by what you said...I am taking it as a compliment of my other work.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, maybe I should talk her into another shot...

Laughing.gif Giselle the first rule of service business is the customer is sometimes right. In this case yes none of these photos are your best work but thats not why the mother loves them and wants one. These photos show her daughters personality, and I'm assuming they are unposed. It's not about the technicality of the photo, the mother likes them cause of the emotion of the photo. Remember not all works of art are technically perfect. What makes them works of art are the emotions they bring out in people. To you, to me, to most of us these may not be works of art. But they prolly are to the mother.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited July 6, 2006
    How about this treatment?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How about this treatment?
    Getting rid of the clutter does help... shiny shit! thumb.gif Thanx Zig
    Giselle
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Laughing.gif Giselle the first rule of service business is the customer is sometimes right. In this case yes none of these photos are your best work but thats not why the mother loves them and wants one. These photos show her daughters personality, and I'm assuming they are unposed. It's not about the technicality of the photo, the mother likes them cause of the emotion of the photo. Remember not all works of art are technically perfect. What makes them works of art are the emotions they bring out in people. To you, to me, to most of us these may not be works of art. But they prolly are to the mother.

Shay Stephens said this as well:

Capture the soul, not just the shell.
    I find the trick to a great portrait is less technical and more personality related. A great portrait does not result from perfect lighting, composition, or lens settings. A great portrait reveals the subjects personality, shows them in a novel way, and/or moves the viewer to regard the subject in a way they have never noticed before. Capture with your camera the serious side of the joker, the anticipation of one about to journey, the real smile and inner joy of anyone who will give it to you. There are a lot of ways to portray someone, and a great portrait can result from any of them.

Spend time with the subject, time with the lens pointed at them, engage them, draw out the personality and be ready to catch it when it shows up. When the viewer of the portrait can look and see the personality as if they knew that person, you have done your job well, regardless of the quality of that photo. Such a photo will be treasured, flaws and all.

DavidS

I agree with this, but it is painful and embarrassing when my wife displays some of my pictures that are not that great from a technical standpoint. My wife seems to like some of the worst pictures I take of our kids, because of the spirit they capture. You know those shots must be off if you have seen my better shots here. I have a lot to learn and appreciate all of the help I have had from folks on this website.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    Yep I know what you mean, David. It is just so hard not to look at all the things that I do wrong.
    Giselle