Options

Anyone for Cricket

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in Sports
Tried my hand a cricket this weekend for the first time, all shot manual with 10D 300F4 non IS + 1.4x and had quite a good time
C+C welcome

79035281-M.jpg

79035283-M.jpg

79050605-M.jpg

79050601-M.jpg

79050609-M.jpg

79050596-M.jpg

79058988-M.jpg

79058991-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I know NOTHING about the game, but you did a pretty nice job with the pics. Too bad the paddle, bat, club?ne_nau.gif ...covers the players face in the first one.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I know NOTHING about the game, but you did a pretty nice job with the pics. Too bad the paddle, bat, club?ne_nau.gif ...covers the players face in the first one.

Thank's Jeffro, i need to try some more angles next time
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Cricket!? Why don't they just play baseball :D

Great shots! From the pictures, it looks like a very intense game!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Cricket!? Why don't they just play baseball :D

Great shots! From the pictures, it looks like a very intense game!

Thank's, but there's no baseball over here:D
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    rounders
    nice shots

-by the way baseball developed from a small childrens/ girls version of cricket, called rounders.

so why don't you play cricket?
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    nice shots

-by the way baseball developed from a small childrens/ girls version of cricket, called rounders.

Thank's gtc
    I remember playing rounders at schooleek7.gif
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Great expression on the bowlers face in the last one, he looks like he is gurning. A very different discipline to rugby since the action is much further away.

Did you use a tripod/monopod? They are all very sharp. Good job thumb.gif

WIll look forward to seeing how you progress oner the summer

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    Gary CoyleGary Coyle Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Hey Gary, how you doing, a slight deviation from your usual work but very, very nice, 4 and 7 are my faves.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    Great expression on the bowlers face in the last one, he looks like he is gurning. A very different discipline to rugby since the action is much further away.

Did you use a tripod/monopod? They are all very sharp. Good job thumb.gif

WIll look forward to seeing how you progress oner the summer

Cheers
    Stan

Thank's Stan for your kind comments, i was useing a monopod Manfrotto 681b as recommended by Gary Coyle
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Gary Coyle wrote:
    Hey Gary, how you doing, a slight deviation from your usual work but very, very nice, 4 and 7 are my faves.

Thank's Gaz
    Not to good at the moment may have Lymes Disease from a tic bite in Lithuania should be ok soon won't stop me shooting or riding my bike. Cricket gave me a chance to use my 1.4x on the 300 no need for Al servo going to try and get some better ones Wednesday night
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    nice shots

wow. So much for a joke. ne_nau.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Very nice tableau in this one.

79050605-S.jpg

On a few, a much tighter crop would help a lot, I reckon, you have some excellent action shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Very nice tableau in this one.

79050605-S.jpg

On a few, a much tighter crop would help a lot, I reckon, you have some excellent action shots.

Thank's Sid
    I need to find some more cricket shots and see how tight they crop them,
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Something like this, I was thinking.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Tried my hand a cricket this weekend for the first time, all shot manual with 10D 300F4 non IS + 1.4x and had quite a good time
    C+C welcome

79050605-M.jpg

79050601-M.jpg

I don't understand this headscratch.gif See if you can spot the mistake... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers
    Stan

PS. Going to Wimbledon today. So it's going to chuck it down :cry
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    I don't understand this headscratch.gif See if you can spot the mistake... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers
    Stan

PS. Going to Wimbledon today. So it's going to chuck it down :cry

Can't see a mistake headscratch.gif

I want to see some good tenis shots tomorrow:D
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    155after 19 overs and 141 after 23 overs, same batsman headscratch.gif different innings?

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    G'day Garry,

Great shots, not overly an easy game to catch. Love the look of intent on the bowler in the last shot. clap.gif
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    155after 19 overs and 141 after 23 overs, same batsman headscratch.gif different innings?

Cheers
    Stan

Same innings i posted them the wrong way round out of ordereek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    G'day Garry,

Great shots, not overly an easy game to catch. Love the look of intent on the bowler in the last shot. clap.gif

Thank's Tassie, i have some better ones from last night will post later
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Same innings i posted them the wrong way round out of ordereek7.gif

but the runs/overs are out... more runs, fewer overs...blame the scorerclap.gif

Stan
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    rounders/baseball
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    wow. So much for a joke. ne_nau.gif

i know this will be hard for baseball fans to take....

its the truth...rounders is at least 300 years old and is the foreunnner of baseball.

its the small childrens and older girls version of cricket,because cricket with a hard leather ball is a dangerous game.

all doubleday did is codify some rule changes-he didn't invent baseball.

the small children and older girls played it with a soft ball so didn't need mitts to catch,unlike baseball....

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    gtc wrote:

its the truth...rounders is at least 300 years old and is the foreunnner of baseball.

its the small childrens and older girls version of cricket,because cricket with a hard leather ball is a dangerous game.

the small children and older girls played it with a soft ball so didn't need mitts to catch,unlike baseball....

Does that mean that Ausies and English are harder because the catchers don't wear gloves rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Does that mean that Ausies and English are harder because the catchers don't wear gloves rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

And Aussie Rules... That's nuts rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    I have nothing against Cricket. I think it's awesome to see sports from other countries and the game looks pretty fun.

Sorry for the joke - I'll avoid the sarcasm when it comes to Cricket! :D

gtc wrote:

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I have nothing against Cricket. I think it's awesome to see sports from other countries and the game looks pretty fun.

Sorry for the joke - I'll avoid the sarcasm when it comes to Cricket! :D

Don't be sorry it's not been taken the wrong way:D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    just stirring...
    don't be sorry- a little taunting and teasing and the like is all part of sport-i like baseball too-it just looks like the batter does not get a real chance to bat- and at pro level rarely even hits the ball-if you like to bat ,cricket is a great game-so many more strokes that can be played and if you can do it ,it's possible to bat all day as the other side puts all of its bowlers out there in rotation to try and dislodge you,sometimes bowling at your head and the like which is perfectly legal.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    don't be sorry- a little taunting and teasing and the like is all part of sport-i like baseball too-it just looks like the batter does not get a real chance to bat- and at pro level rarely even hits the ball-if you like to bat ,cricket is a great game-so many more strokes that can be played and if you can do it ,it's possible to bat all day as the other side puts all of its bowlers out there in rotation to try and dislodge you,sometimes bowling at your head and the like which is perfectly legal.

You're sure right on that one! thumb.gif I don't even watch pro baseball...just for those reasons. Maybe they'll start realizing how boring it is and switch to Cricket! :D

- Kevin