Options

apature and f/stop setting

lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited November 4, 2004 in Technique
I'm still trying to learn the manual setting on my camera and keep practicing by photographing my always moving baby. I don't like to use the flash because I'm not crazy about flash photography and like how they look without the flash (lots of warm tones) but because I don't have the falsh on and my subject keeps moving he always comes out blury-what am I doing wrong? I tried a bunch of diferent combos apature and f stop and no luck. Do I always need to use a flash if i have a moving subject?

Comments

• Options
    mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    outside
    take the baby outside in bright sunlight :)
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    lukiedukie wrote:
    I'm still trying to learn the manual setting on my camera and keep practicing by photographing my always moving baby. I don't like to use the flash because I'm not crazy about flash photography and like how they look without the flash (lots of warm tones) but because I don't have the falsh on and my subject keeps moving he always comes out blury-what am I doing wrong? I tried a bunch of diferent combos apature and f stop and no luck. Do I always need to use a flash if i have a moving subject?

what camera are you using?

your best bet for a moving child is to use shutter priority, 1/60th or 1/100th, but that'll mean a high iso. not a prob if you have a dslr, but if you have a digicam that may result in noisy pics.

tell us more
  • Options
    lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    what camera are you using?

your best bet for a moving child is to use shutter priority, 1/60th or 1/100th, but that'll mean a high iso. not a prob if you have a dslr, but if you have a digicam that may result in noisy pics.

tell us more
    I have a canon digital rebel. I want to take some nice pictures of him in room lighting.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    lukiedukie wrote:
    I have a canon digital rebel. I want to take some nice pictures of him in room lighting.
    Luke since you are using a DSLR you should be able to get some nice indoor pics. Up your ISO to 800-1000, open up the aperture so that you are shooting at a shutter speed of at least 1/60 sec (higher if possible). A lot will depend on the lens that you are using. An excellent and cheap lens for indoor shots is the 50mm f/1.8 lens (the 1.4 lens is even better if you have deeper pockets).

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"