Options

My first lightening shots

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited July 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
Taken July 3rd in Cottonwood AZ, looking toward Camp Verde, using my beat-up Nikon E5400, ISO 50, f/7.9, white balance "speedlight", and 5 minutes timed shutter--but shut right after any lightening was captured.

Danged if I know what these white specks are. Doesn't look like noise, but maybe dust?
Steve-o

Comments

• Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    My first lightening shots, #2
    Again, sorry about the specks. More lightening over Camp Verde (or maybe further up the Mogollon Rim?), taken July 3.
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    My first lightening shots, #3
    One more bespeckled lightening shot from somewhere toward Camp Verde AZ (from Cottonwood).

Oh, BTW, I think I'll get more practice with these lightening shots, as next week I'll be moving (back) to Cottonwood (Good Bye Fontana CA!)--with family in tow!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Hey Steve, I merged the three shots into a single thread.

Nice timing, I hope you were in a safe spot!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Thank you! The lightening looked to be at least 30 miles east of where I was.

That should be safe enough, don't you think?

wxwax wrote:
    Hey Steve, I merged the three shots into a single thread.

Nice timing, I hope you were in a safe spot!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Thank you! The lightening looked to be at least 30 miles east of where I was.

That should be safe enough, don't you think?
    30 miles should be fine, but that last one looks a lot closer than 30!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Cool shots Steve-O

You mentioned "speedlight" - did you fire a flash? That would explain the specs if it was raining.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Taken July 3rd in Cottonwood AZ, looking toward Camp Verde, using my beat-up Nikon E5400, ISO 50, f/7.9, white balance "speedlight", and 5 minutes timed shutter--but shut right after any lightening was captured.

Danged if I know what these white specks are. Doesn't look like noise, but maybe dust?

Hi there Forehead......... I am yet to be able to capture lightning, I've tried it a couple of times but not once have I been successful.

I understand it's not easy to do........and I really don't have a good forground or background around my place to even attempt it.

Congratulations on your efforts clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    I still need to find out which D-grinner to give the credit to for the suggested camera settings.

Lightening is EVERYWHERE, mostly, but how many people have wallabies chewing up their flower beds?rolleyes1.gif
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Forehead......... I am yet to be able to capture lightning, I've tried it a couple of times but not once have I been successful.

I understand it's not easy to do........and I really don't have a good forground or background around my place to even attempt it.

Congratulations on your efforts clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    No flash used. It was one of the camera settings suggested by a fellow D-grinner to keep the lightening from looking "quite blue".

Even if it were raining, the storm was around 30 miles away. That'd be ONE POWERFUL FLASH to catch raindrops from that distance!
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Cool shots Steve-O

You mentioned "speedlight" - did you fire a flash? That would explain the specs if it was raining.
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Well, I DID conveniently forget to mention that all these posted lightning shots were cropped quite a bit!:uhoh
    wxwax wrote:
    30 miles should be fine, but that last one looks a lot closer than 30!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    The white spots could possibly be blown pixels in the camera sensor. It's definitely not dust because that would not show up as being white.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    That's interesting. ne_nau.gif I wonder what the specs are cause there sure is a lot of them!:D
    Forehead wrote:
    No flash used. It was one of the camera settings suggested by a fellow D-grinner to keep the lightening from looking "quite blue".

Even if it were raining, the storm was around 30 miles away. That'd be ONE POWERFUL FLASH to catch raindrops from that distance!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin