Options

Surfin' Angels

HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited July 7, 2006 in Sports
Hi - decided to go out and play with my recently purchased dSLR & Bigma at the recent Airshow held in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. Photo was taken handheld at 320mm 1/1250 f/6.3 Exp.comp. -1 step ISO 200

It was the first time since 1965 that the Blue Angels performed in The Netherlands. To all concerned..... thanks for a stunning show! :clap

Cheers - Herman
My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Nice! I love the Blues, glad they could make it to your area and put on their usual amazing show. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Very nice, not heard of the blue angels in the UK we have the Red Arrows have you seen them ?
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Neat shot. The Blue Angels were here in Indy last year so that should mean we get The Thunderbirds (USAF) this year. Always an awesome show.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Very nice, not heard of the blue angels in the UK we have the Red Arrows have you seen them ?

Hi GSGARY - have certainly heard of them! In fact, they participated the day prior to my attendance at the Leeuwarden Airshow.

Too bad I had to spend te day at the office!!!

Cheers - Herman

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 7, 2006
    Herman,
    Love the shot thumb.gifthumb.gif Great timing clap.gif

I do, however, believe you can do more with it during post. It looks a bit U/E and I see the same cyan tint as we discussed before. Easy to fix during post, but I still am at a loss to explain why it happens in the first place headscratch.gif Maybe some of the Nikon shooters will chime in :D

Good stuff!!

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Herman,
    Love the shot thumb.gifthumb.gif Great timing clap.gif

I do, however, believe you can do more with it during post. It looks a bit U/E and I see the same cyan tint as we discussed before. Easy to fix during post, but I still am at a loss to explain why it happens in the first place headscratch.gif Maybe some of the Nikon shooters will chime in :D

Good stuff!!

Steve

Hey Herman,

I have the same thing happen when I shoot white birds. I have to expose for the subject which results in underexposing the sky or water. This seems to deepen and saturate the blue and/or the cyan in the shoot.

If you want to lessen the effect you could change your hue settings. A plus hue setting will add magenta to the blue and add blue to cyan. A negative setting will add cyan to the blue and add green to cyan.

You also might want to experiment with your WB settings. Nikon sets the Klevin temp for sunny at 5200K which is cooler than most of the rest of the photography world where it usually comes in at around. 5400K. If you set your WB to sunny -2 that will set the Kelvin temp to 5400K.

I would experiemnt with some fo these setting and see if any produces a result you like better. If you need any more help please feel free to PM me.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Herman,

I have the same thing happen when I shoot white birds. I have to expose for the subject which results in underexposing the sky or water. This seems to deepen and saturate the blue and/or the cyan in the shoot.

If you want to lessen the effect you could change your hue settings. A plus hue setting will add magenta to the blue and add blue to cyan. A negative setting will add cyan to the blue and add green to cyan.

You also might want to experiment with your WB settings. Nikon sets the Klevin temp for sunny at 5200K which is cooler than most of the rest of the photography world where it usually comes in at around. 5400K. If you set your WB to sunny -2 that will set the Kelvin temp to 5400K.

I would experiemnt with some fo these setting and see if any produces a result you like better. If you need any more help please feel free to PM me.

Hi Harry - Thanks for the tip.... I'll experiment with it as I had only just received my D50 prior to the Airshow.

Again, thanks for the advise and I might just make use of your PM assistance offer in future.

Cheers - Herman

• Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Hi - here are a few more photos involving the USN Blue Angels Display Team.

Cheers - Herman

• Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Two of a Kind....

• Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    and lastly....