Options

Art? Trash? Art Trash? Trash Art?

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited November 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
Another from last night. Maybe just trash?
10409033-L.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    10409033-S.jpg
    I kind of like it - the reflection I find interesting - the brown discolored water is less appealing, but then with lovely blue water the bottle might seem out of place.
    I think the soft warm light is what makes it work for me. Like I have said so many times and I have to relearn over and over - FIND THE LIGHT - then find the subject. I always find the subject and then try and find interesting light. Hah.... Good demonstration of FIND the LIGHT 1drink.gif Well done Thomas.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Art/Trash/Snapshot/Candid..............name please, sir/mam
    One thing I might guess right off: it would not do well in the landscape category.

One man's trash is another man's art, is that not the saying? :D Hence my fondness for snapshots. That might actually work well with fame.

I have really seen things, things I would love to emulate, in books and magazines, they were done by famous photographers, I swear opened my eyes. I would have thought they were snapshots.

So, art/trash, and what is your name? :roll
    The answer, my friend, is all in the name.
    What do you all think?

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I think art, such a good reflection & the dirty water emphasizes its clarity.... could be a good shot fore some extreme ps effects
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    Light? You look for light?

I never give it a thought til I get home and am frantically trying to save, or make look interesting, a photo I really thought was a good idea at the time.

Really great light, I do notice that. Usually when I am in my car on a freeway, illegal to stop, don't have time anyway, no other access, or a long hike.

Oh, yes, I do remember, I have places around here that I don't need to write down........... I know exactly where it is, even got a picture once while stuck in a traffic jam, conveniently, at just the right time of day with the "right" sun.

g

Am thinking, one could need to change a tire, couldn't one. Or even better, one could need to pull over to use one of those new gadgets to squirt some air in the tires.......... so with a little investment in a tire/air gadget, that might be the ticket to some photos, if not a ticket?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I think art, such a good reflection & the dirty water emphasizes its clarity.... could be a good shot fore some extreme ps effects
    Gubbs, then is it art already, or does it become art with the photoshop effects?

g

I am enjoying myself, I suppose I could ask if this is the best use of my time in my remaining years. Important question, though. Art/trash?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Maybe not art, but is a statement
    tmlphoto wrote:
    10409033-L.jpg

I don't know if it is art or not, but it makes a statement to me. Would be a good anti-pollution ad. (Then again, so would a landscape shot in Austin anymore, with all the haze). Funny, I was not a big environmentalist until I got heavy into photography. Now I notice hazy skies more, wish things were different. What's happening to me?! :-O
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I don't know if it is art or not, but it makes a statement to me. Would be a good anti-pollution ad. (Then again, so would a landscape shot in Austin anymore, with all the haze). Funny, I was not a big environmentalist until I got heavy into photography. Now I notice hazy skies more, wish things were different. What's happening to me?! :-O

Nest thing you know you'll be using a Mac and joining the Sierra Club
    rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I wish things were different too. "Progress" is definitely having a (IMHO) negative effect on important parts of our world.

I recently spent the weekend in the Canadian Rockies in one of our National Parks. I was vacationing with my wife and a couple that had never been to the mountains. We did the obligatory tourist shopping with them and I happened to flip through a book of stunning photographs of the local geography and I realized that the chances of getting similar shots today was very slim ...

You should read "The Incredible Shrinking Bayou" in October's National Geographic. It's enough to make you cry ...

Brad
    mercphoto wrote:
    Funny, I was not a big environmentalist until I got heavy into photography. Now I notice hazy skies more, wish things were different. What's happening to me?! :-O
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Progress
    digismile wrote:
    I wish things were different too. "Progress" is definitely having a (IMHO) negative effect on important parts of our world.

Yes and no. In some ways, for example, big power plants create far less pollution than if everyone was still individually burning coal to heat their homes, like my grandparents did before re-fitting their house with an electric furnace when I was young. Things are not as bad as they could be. But I'm a techie, and I fundamentally believe that progress has been an overal positive benefit when all the plusses and minusses have been added up.

Progress has some negative consequences, though. Yes, centralized power plants are efficient and pollute less than individual homes burning coal or heating oil. But look at other things from "progress", such as HDTV, computers, iPods, and other gadgets that consume power in ways that wasn't done 20, 30, 40 years ago. Or for that matter central air conditioning, which few people had back then, but now almost everyone does and can't imagine life without. How many people would be willing to do without their central air in order to consume less electricity and help the environment? Or pay more for electricity to offset the cost of better scrubbers at the power plant?

Not saying things couldn't be better still, because I do believe that's the case as well. The answers simply aren't easy, which is why they aren't solved yet. Perhaps the best answer is to simply use less energy.

Ok everyone, off with your computers!!! ROFL!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    I was kind of attracted to the idea of using less energy.rolleyes1.gif I have good music going, but I could take a nap. I could use a nap actually.

(This good old days thing, well I hear that horse drawn carriages, horses in general, in the streets, they caused pollution problems.)

And people who lived down stream from whatever. Anti-biotics, people died without them. Of course that meant less people to use energy.

Now we are about to go full circle as drugs are becoming resistant to just about every anti-biotic I have ever over used, and I haven't had a staph infection yet.

I have been here, and I have been there a bit ago, no horses in the street, but 1939 was awhile back. So there is an old bottle in the muddy water, you know if you save that bottle long enough, it might be valuable. Add that to the photo of it, and there could be a huge profit: antique bottle and certified art besides. There were bottles in the old days, I used to sell them at flea markets.

On that a/c, we hardly used it this summer, on the coast of SC, the dogs like the door open, and the darn thing is really old and sick, but we got through the whole summer without the repairman. With this a/c thing, everyone else has moved down here.

Now that is pollution, :cry

Sorry, just a rant, not too long considering it was me. g
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Ewwwww! Actually, I think it's a cool shot. I agree with the lighting comment. The warmness really makes it a picture to stare at.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    I like the shot lighting ect sure made for a lot of talk must be ART yep ART clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    I felt the same way...
    mercphoto wrote:
    Then I started noticing discarded things in state parks..like car tires, shopping carts, old and rusted and stripped cars, bottles, and all sorts of other stuff. Its disgusting, and not a good showing for humanity.

The next three images are from Benjamin Rush State Park, and the rest are from Pennypack.

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Another image from Benjamin Rush State Park
    Rusty vehicle...
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Benjamin Rush State Park
    Rusty vehicle 2. This one was about 10 feet over to the right.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    PennyPack State Park 1
    Some trashy images...
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Pennypack Park 2
    Trashy images..
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Pennypack Park 3
    trashy images..
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2004
    Pennypack park 4
    Trashy images..
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Trashy images..
    Its terribly sad. In a state park no less.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com