Options

Izabelle [Cowgirl Style Sorta] *Heavy Post*

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited July 8, 2006 in People
Hello friends!
Yesterday I had a shoot with a girl called Iza (Izabelle). Thing is that I have this predilection for women in hats of all kind. I think it's so chic and I don't understand why women (atleast in sweden) doesn't wear hats more often. In Sweden it's very unusuall. I've asked women about it, and the most frequent answer is "Well, it brings you to much attention!" I guess it's sort of an modest "Don't stick out, blend in!"-thing. Pitty! I say "Stick out, don't blend in!"
Anyway, so I don't know any woman who owns a hat - so to make this wish to photograph a woman wearing a hat come true, I simply had to run off and buy one! *Haha* So I did, then I called Iza and asked if she wanted to give it a go. She said sure, and off we went. I told her that I had bought sort of an "cowgirl hat", and we could aim for that "theme", just a little, for fun.
When it came to pic a location, we got real lucky, I must say! I drove to her, and I don't find my way around there, so I asked her if there is a stable or something nearby, to add a little more to the "cowgirl" theme. It was actually, but it was closed down for the summer. So, we drove down there anyway, just to see if we could find a decent location outside around the stable. We snapped a few pics, but naaa, it was for no good. So we just strolled around by chance, I didn't have much hope, after all, it's an urban area with blocks of flats, kind of. But suddenly, in the middle of all this "urbanity" we came upon this very old house, and on the house lot there was a lot of ol' antiqueties, for example an open garage (sort of) with old horse sledges.
There was an old woman and a man out on the lot, so I walked up to them to have a little chat, and to ask if we could use their place to take some pictures. "Of course you can!" they said. The women lives in the house, the man was her son. They told us that they're both in the antiquety business and that they had just come back from an antiquety buy/sell exhibition, that's why the lot was full of ol' stuff. They were very kind and told us that we could come back anytime if we wanted to shoot again. There are very nice people out there! :o) There is hope for mankind!
So, enough of this babble-babble huh, here is a few samples! Comments and critics are welcome!
Canon 10D, Sigma 18-125 mm, (Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II for all closeups) Speedlite 580EX on cam, a of cam Sunpac 383 Super bounced on white umbrella. (If you could see me - using the selftimer, then hit the shutter, run away to hold the flash and umbrella! Hahaha! You gotta experiment!)
I also got an AHA-experience today! The awsome power of reflectors! Wow! I brought a gold metal plate approx 25 cm/diameter just to experiment and I know now that my next purchase is gonna be a set of good reflectors. All close ups are ambient light with gold reflector.

Regards / Matty

80280821-O.jpg

80280676-O.jpg

80280714-O.jpg

A little to "dary" angle? :wink Well, I kept my eyes on the hat, all the time! :rofl

80280824-O.jpg

80280705-O.jpg

80280694-O.jpg

80280681-O.jpg

80280724-O.jpg

80280814-O.jpg

80280833-O.jpg

80280700-O.jpg

Thanx for looking! Just for the record, do ya like the frames, or would the pics be better off without them?

Comments

• Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    most of these are terrific, but a couple dont really do anything for me. i love the 2nd and last pictures. great job clap.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    6 and 8 are the best for me.
    Nice photos with good light ...
    I like the frames. :):
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Hi Matty, I think the shots improve down the line...I like #8 and #11 the best. #11 works because she is more relaxed and giving a natural, full smile. The lighting is really pretty in all the shots and your "sets" are great. The expressions on the model's face were somewhat uncomfortable. She has a great smile which the last shot shows. :D
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I like them, although the low angle shot, where she's sitting on the wheel seems to need a different angle for me. Nice framing too.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Matty,
    Great story, great pics!

I love the reflector effect! thumb.gif

I also love frames, they give your work a certain finished, "gallery-ready" style thumb.gif

What time of day was it? headscratch.gif Judging by the shadows - 10 am? You guys went out early :):

And the last question: what were the focal length and f/stop on #1?

Thanks a lot for sharing! Always looking for your posts! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    headscratch.gif For some reason, the first four shots come up "Photo Not Found."

The one that works for me is the last one. The light is pleasant, the pose works for her, she has a nice expression - it all comes together.

The frames are fine, they're not obstrusive.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I LOVE hats for photography, they draw the viewer right to the eyes. I like the one with the light coming thru het hat the best (#8 i think), I love the smattering of light on her cheeks. She's leaning against the building just looking relaxed.

I love using reflectors and diffusors! While I love the look that gold reflectore give to skin tones I HATE what they can do to teeth. I find the effect more pronounced on people of African descent. The darker the skin the more noticable the yellowish discoloration seems to be.

Great shots the lighting is superb!

Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thanx! Yes, looking at them again, there are a few that I think could have been excluded. Perhaps one shouldn't be so eager to post, but wait a day or two, to let the pics "melt in". I oftenly "see" my own pics way different a few days later. Do ya have the same "effect"?

Matty

binghott wrote:
    most of these are terrific, but a couple dont really do anything for me. i love the 2nd and last pictures. great job clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thank you! Well, I tell ya, she isn't uncomfortable infront of the cam what so ever, infact the problem is almost the other way around, "can you please stop smiling ALL the time!" *Haha* I hardly have any pictures where she doesn't look like this:

Thanx / Matty

80335488-O.jpg

80335476-O.jpg
    saurora wrote:
    Hi Matty, I think the shots improve down the line...I like #8 and #11 the best. #11 works because she is more relaxed and giving a natural, full smile. The lighting is really pretty in all the shots and your "sets" are great. The expressions on the model's face were somewhat uncomfortable. She has a great smile which the last shot shows. :D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thanx! Well, I agree! That shot was acutally her own idea! That's why I posted it! :):

Matty
    Jeffro wrote:
    I like them, although the low angle shot, where she's sitting on the wheel seems to need a different angle for me. Nice framing too.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thank you, Nikolai!

Na, actually it was in the late afternoon, between approx 18:00-20:00.

Exif #01: 20 mm, f/7.1, 1/40s, ISO 200

Regards / Matty
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great story, great pics!

I love the reflector effect! thumb.gif

I also love frames, they give your work a certain finished, "gallery-ready" style thumb.gif

What time of day was it? headscratch.gif Judging by the shadows - 10 am? You guys went out early :):

And the last question: what were the focal length and f/stop on #1?

Thanks a lot for sharing! Always looking for your posts! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Hmmm.... peculiar! Is it only you???

The last one is my absolute favorite too! thumb.gif Thanx for you input! :):

Matty
    wxwax wrote:
    headscratch.gif For some reason, the first four shots come up "Photo Not Found."

The one that works for me is the last one. The light is pleasant, the pose works for her, she has a nice expression - it all comes together.

The frames are fine, they're not obstrusive.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thank you very much, Kat! So, there are more hat lovers out there, how nice! :):
    Thanx for tipping me about what gold reflectors can to to teeth, never thought of that! eek7.gif I'll be careful from now on!

Matty

Bakat wrote:
    I LOVE hats for photography, they draw the viewer right to the eyes. I like the one with the light coming thru het hat the best (#8 i think), I love the smattering of light on her cheeks. She's leaning against the building just looking relaxed.

I love using reflectors and diffusors! While I love the look that gold reflectore give to skin tones I HATE what they can do to teeth. I find the effect more pronounced on people of African descent. The darker the skin the more noticable the yellowish discoloration seems to be.

Great shots the lighting is superb!

Kat
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Matty,
    elfving73 wrote:
    Thank you, Nikolai!
    Na, actually it was in the late afternoon, between approx 18:00-20:00.
    Exif #01: 20 mm, f/7.1, 1/40s, ISO 200
    Regards / Matty

Thanks! That makes sense, too. Especially with the golden color of a setting sun..thumb.gif

Thanks for the EXIF! This 20mm sure works nice!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    These are terrific Matty.... you have totally convinced me on why I need to get some reflectors etc.. (geez my wish list is definitely bigger than my bank account!!)...

I love hats for photos too.... it's not just the fact that they draw you to the eyes.. but they seem to affect the personality of the model too.. bringing them out some...

The only thing I noticed that you might want to look at is on #5 there is a weird shadow on her leg... at least on my screen..

Love the series though.... outstanding job!thumb.gif
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Hi, Matty
    Great Photos!clap.gif
    I think you and the model made a great team.
    It looks like you two worked good together.
    I like 1, 3, 5, and 11 the best.

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    Cassidy Photography,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usa_photography
    828-231-5460,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com