Recommendations for Alaska Photo Locations

OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
I would like to post a question on suggestions for good spots for photography in Alaska. Dont want to offend anyone by putting it in the wrong place......

Where if anywhere would I post it.

Osprey:rolleyes

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Osprey wrote:
    I would like to post a question on suggestions for good spots for photography in Alaska. Dont want to offend anyone by putting it in the wrong place......

Where if anywhere would I post it.

Ospreyrolleyes1.gif

I'd try technique...or sports if you have an example you want some feed back on.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    You can post in Field and Street? Good question, not easily tucked in just one forum category.

We'll help monitor and move as needed
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'd try technique...or sports if you have an example you want some feed back on.

Thanks for the reply 1drink.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Would that not easily be NEWS.....or you could post in the respective Theme...the best place for finding the elusive white Alaskan Jaguar would be in the area of the village of Naked Malamute,Alaska.....pic of White Alaskan Jaguar should go into nature so I would think a guide to finding the White Alaskan Jaguar would also go into Nature....

Best place for street shots...Field and street.......etc etc

I beleve the guides so into the same catagory as what you are directing people to......OR Dgrin could make a new Category just for the posting of guides to great plces for FANTASTIC PICS.....

just a very 'umble suggestion............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I retitled your thread, now that we have a location forum. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    There's tons of places you can shoot in AK. Denali is one of them--you'll need
    at least a 70-200 if you take the bus tour. Lots of places just off the road
    that are perfect photo ops.

Another source of information is the Mile Post. It comes out ever year or
    two (I forget) and gives a lot f detail about roads, attractions, etc.. You
    can find one at most big bookstores or at the library.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 10, 2006
    thumb.gif I like the idea of a new catagory for ideas for places for fantastic pics. Anyone agree?
    Art Scott wrote:
    Would that not easily be NEWS.....or you could post in the respective Theme...the best place for finding the elusive white Alaskan Jaguar would be in the area of the village of Naked Malamute,Alaska.....pic of White Alaskan Jaguar should go into nature so I would think a guide to finding the White Alaskan Jaguar would also go into Nature....

Best place for street shots...Field and street.......etc etc

I beleve the guides so into the same catagory as what you are directing people to......OR Dgrin could make a new Category just for the posting of guides to great plces for FANTASTIC PICS.....

just a very 'umble suggestion............
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Depends on what you want to photograph - it's great for landscapes - Anchorage itself - on the Tony Knowles trail; the Seward Highway; Seward itself is again great for landscapes etc; Glaciers - Whittier, Prince william Sound - either by kayak or take a cruise. Portage glacier is quite close to Anchorage and a nice photo-op. a little further away - Wrangell national park is much less visited but is quite amazing - you can walk on glaciers and ...

Since your Avatar is a bird - bird ops abound in Alaska - bald eagle hotspots- Homer, Kachemak Bay state park. Lots of atlantic puffins in Whittier, PWS as well. Denali of course is wonderful - lots of wildlife; when I was there last tho, there was a bad wildfire in Denali and Fairbanks , so no decent photography - check out the weather before ! If you're rich and can take planes all over - Pribiloff islands is great for birds, Katmai for bears.

Have a great time! there's a photo-op wherever you go in Alaska!
    edited July 23, 2006
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. It will be helpful. This is my fjirst trip so I will be a free spirt and see what happens. :):
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    The last time I was in Alaska, it took us over 6 hours to cover a 100 miles south along the Turnagain Arm, because every time we turned around a bend, we had to stop to shoot more photographs. Glaciers, mountain goats, ocean views, plants, it never ended.

I need to go back again, Ian!! We were talking about it at Yosemite, remember?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 23, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    The last time I was in Alaska, it took us over 6 hours to cover a 100 miles south along the Turnagain Arm, because every time we turned around a bend, we had to stop to shoot more photographs. Glaciers, mountain goats, ocean views, plants, it never ended.

I need to go back again, Ian!! We were talking about it at Yosemite, remember?

Yes I do. I think we should get a motor home and spend a month up there
    shooting.
    edited July 23, 2006
    With a good motorhome , we could even carry or haul 650s for daytripping and fire roading:): :):

Keep me in mind, Ian, I need to revisit Alaska again.thumb.gif

edited July 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    With a good motorhome , we could even carry or haul 650s for daytripping and fire roading:): :):

Keep me in mind, Ian, I need to revisit Alaska again.thumb.gif

Absolutely!

Ian
  • Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I'm in Juneau, a photographer's paradise, but it can only be reached by plane or ferry, no road-trips here. Kenai peninsula is beautiful, Homer, etc. I think anywhere you go, you'll have great scenery and photo opportunities.
    edited July 25, 2006
    I'm in Juneau, a photographer's paradise, but it can only be reached by plane or ferry, no road-trips here. Kenai peninsula is beautiful, Homer, etc. I think anywhere you go, you'll have great scenery and photo opportunities.

I wanna fly in a Beaver again. Or maybe a Super Otter. I'd be ok with
    that.

One of my sister's friends used to work for the Empire...I always threatened
    to go there.
    edited July 25, 2006
    If you like bush planes, if you ever get to Saulte Ste. Marie, go the the Bush Plane Museum - it is very nicely rendered with dozen of restorations. You'd love it.

• craftcraft Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Bears!
    Osprey wrote:
    Thanks for the information. It will be helpful. This is my fjirst trip so I will be a free spirt and see what happens. :):

Don't do what I did and spend $500 US on a trip to see Grizzlies near Juneau (on Admiralty Island). While this was a fascinating trip, the scenery was no "brooks falls" (where you see all those pictures of grizzlies eating salmon). However, I did find TONS of bears in two locations. All you have to do is rent a car and drive next to the river and bears may even brush against your car. You then hang your head out the window and shoot shoot shoot. Go at sunrise (especially best) and sunset - get there a couple of hours before sunset so you have a spot on the river. This is popular.

Homer Alaska (accessible by both road and ferry)
    Hyder Alaska (right next to Stewart, Alaska and accessible by road).

Late August is the best time for both locations. The bears will not be feeding in July or early August (as far as I understand).

Have a great trip!
    http://craft.smugmug.com
    Thousands of Nature & Wildlife Images Online
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Yes I do. I think we should get a motor home and spend a month up there
    shooting.
    I get the top bunk. Furthest from the john.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au