Help

Dixie6Dixie6 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 10, 2004 in Cameras
I would appreciate any help here, I just purchased a Digital Camera(Nikon Coolpix 3100) After transferring photo's from camera to my computer (Windows XP) I attempted to send some photo's via email, it took forever to send due to the size of the file, and since I am using a dial up modem and not DSL, I need to know if there is a software file out there that I can download to "Resize" the pic from about 1200 to 125. I have searched the software program that came with the camera and there is no option to resize. Thank You bryantf4@earthlink.net

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Here's what you need. it's called irfanview. Just click on the link. The download button is to the right top of the page. It's really useful. Even better, it's completely free.

To learn more about irfanview, here's a review of it.

Good luck, I was in dialup hell for 4+ years before switching to cable modem. I'm living a dream now. 1drink.gif

ps Probably not a good idea to post your email address on the internet. It's an invitation to get spammed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Dixie6 wrote:
    I would appreciate any help here, I just purchased a Digital Camera(Nikon Coolpix 3100) After transferring photo's from camera to my computer (Windows XP) I attempted to send some photo's via email, it took forever to send due to the size of the file, and since I am using a dial up modem and not DSL, I need to know if there is a software file out there that I can download to "Resize" the pic from about 1200 to 125. I have searched the software program that came with the camera and there is no option to resize. Thank You
    Hi Dixie6,

The easiest thing to do is to download and use Irfanview (a free program) to resize your photos. You can also do some lightweight editing, such as cropping, converting to B&W, and rotating.

Good luck!

ps. you might want to refrain from putting your email address in your posts, as spam crawlers can pick them up. If you would like people to contact you via email, go into your control panel and enable that feature.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 4, 2004
    Dang waxy...you beat me to it. Both points, even. umph.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 4, 2004
    FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Dixie6Dixie6 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2004
    Thank You All for the tip and for the warning on the email address.
    fish wrote:
    Hi Dixie6,

The easiest thing to do is to download and use Irfanview (a free program) to resize your photos. You can also do some lightweight editing, such as cropping, converting to B&W, and rotating.

Good luck!

ps. you might want to refrain from putting your email address in your posts, as spam crawlers can pick them up. If you would like people to contact you via email, go into your control panel and enable that feature.
  • Dixie6Dixie6 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2004
    Twain Drivers?
    wxwax wrote:
    Here's what you need. it's called irfanview. Just click on the link. The download button is to the right top of the page. It's really useful. Even better, it's completely free.

To learn more about irfanview, here's a review of it.

Good luck, I was in dialup hell for 4+ years before switching to cable modem. I'm living a dream now. 1drink.gif

ps Probably not a good idea to post your email address on the internet. It's an invitation to get spammed.
    I downloaded irfanview and installed it, when I tried to transfer a test photo by hitting the aquire button in irfanview, A box came up and said "Can't connect to device Twain Driver is not installed" I then tried to use a photo from my "Document Folder" and used the Resize/Resample option, I reduced the pixel size and hit apply, but when I checked "Properties" of the pic. to see the size, it still remained the same size. Any tips or advice on this? Thanks again for any help.
    edited February 5, 2004
    wonder if waxy's gonna beat me to this one too?

Acquire is for pulling photos from a scanner (and maybe a camera). On resizing, make sure you preserve aspect ratio, and either change the pixel size (w or h) or reduce by a percentage or choose one of the common sizes on the right side of the screen. Don't forget to "save as".

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    Twain Driver is what Elma Fudd did before he moved on to become a wascle wabbit hunter.
    edited February 10, 2004
    :D
    Sid.
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    Hey Dixie 6,

Since you are using XP, all you have to do is move the image files from your camera to your hard drive. Once they reside on the hd, right click on the image you want to resize, and select resize from the menu. Xp does all the work for you.

Hutch