edited November 5, 2004 in Landscapes
D.C., Sunday

10790699-L.jpg

10790700-L.jpg

10790701-L.jpg

Comments

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    I like the lighting and compostion of this one.
    10790701-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    Thanks Thomas!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    10790699-L.jpg

I love this one Damon. Its so refreshing to see the real DC instead of the monuments.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 4, 2004
    Thanks Harry. I like to show cities the way they really are. Not to say that the monuments aren't real, but when someone visits DC, they don't see this guy waiting for the bus, lounging on the grass. Thanks for the comment.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Captured some nice feelings here Damon...I like the girl in the doorway very much.
    edited November 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Captured some nice feelings here Damon...I like the girl in the doorway very much.
    Thanks Lynn...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    I like the guy getting on the bus, rolleyes1.gif , so all your photos are represented now.

I understand from my daughter that the monuments are covered with construction right now.

ginger

What do you say to those people, like the guy on the ground. Bear in mind, I can't hear a thing they say to me. I would love to take their photos, sometimes I do, but I don't do a good job, I am too nervous. And I tell them nice things, tell them I can't hear, and they keep talking to me.

And that is not always people waiting for a bus in bad circumstances. The guy who feeds the birds and horses at the plantation I go to, he talked and talked and talked. Was super embarassing. I can only fake it up to a point.

(The bad part is that I can talk, and I can hear a bit. Just "hearing" one thing kind of destroys my credibility with people uneducated in the profoundly hard of hearing.................. I just keep going, but it can stop me from taking photos of people, often.) What do you say to them?? Not only am I scared which is my problem, I am also worried that I will embarrass (sp) them. headscratch.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    When shooting people Ginger I usually try to make eye contact and give them a smile. I don't always talk. It happens that I point my finger to my camera in holding it up, while smiling, so they know that I want to take their picture. If I am not sure about going candid, I rather take no risk in embarrasing people. If in doubt, I might not shoot.
    I have found that if your interest in people is genuine, and the smile comes out of your heart, that in many cases they don't object to have their picture taken. Asking can never hurt...
    edited November 5, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    When shooting people Ginger I usually try to make eye contact and give them a smile. I don't always talk. It happens that I point my finger to my camera in holding it up, while smiling, so they know that I want to take their picture. If I am not sure about going candid, I rather take no risk in embarrasing people. If in doubt, I might not shoot.
    I have found that if your interest in people is genuine, and the smile comes out of your heart, that in many cases they don't object to have their picture taken. Asking can never hurt...
    Ditto what Photocat said. Also, it doesn't hurt that these were taken with a 200mm lens from the car.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    This much I can hear them say: have heard it often enough. They ask, the people do, "what am I going to do with the photos". I really do think they are hoping for the newspaper or something.

Andy, I think it was, gave me a suggestion, it was so good, I think I forgot it. I often say it is for school (old ladies go to school, too, don't they? smile).

If you ask a down and out person. An old couple....... someone who is interesting because they are different, well I do the smile thing, with the pointing too, often they just stare at me. I don't interpret that well.

I wear two hearing aids, people can't see them, but I would not mind being photographed as such. If I had overdosed on xanax, I might be terribly embarrassed. Not that that would ever happen (silly bird says not even after the challenge finalists are announced, he is on board now).

I was on the beach trying for funny, haha, it was not on the beach. But I did take photos, talked to a couple of people. Said I needed funny that it was an assignment. They are other dog people, we have that in common. I am not a street person yet, though that is possible......

I can talk to people on my level, I don't mean I can hear them, I mean I often approach them, but people who are down and out, I can't do it openly.

I am rambling now.

I am going to the D fair tomorrow, would go for the whole day and night, but I can't leave the dogs that long. Would anyone who happens on this, I am not a fair goer, I understand there is an elephant who does tricks. What should I look for???

I do not go on rides, almost died once. And they won't stop. Screams just mean that you are having fun. (I wonder if they ever get sued)

ginger

Damon, do you ever go where drugs could be changing hands. That did not used to be a problem. It is now, here in Charleston. Wonderful old abandoned houses, they are not safe. And the people in the area could just be living their life, they are not caucasions, I am. I want their photos so bad, I love that area. I just don't know how to do it. I drive through the area all the time to get to the bridge, everyone does..........I just love the area, but I don't want to stop my car, insult the people by taking their photos???? and I don't want to get killed.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 5, 2004
    Ginger, only do what you feel comfortable doing...