Options

Off-camera flash cord (Canon)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 10, 2006 in Accessories
Looking to acquire a solution that will allow me to maintain TTL between my flash and camera (see siggy for equipment list).

I have found the Canon solution (a 60cm cord, see here for picture & details), but was wondereing if there were other solutions that would allow for a longer reach between the camera and the flash.

This cord is a nomimal 60cm, but I have heard that you can stretch it a little bit. I don't know what "a little bit" in this context really means. I'm looking for something in the 4ft to 6ft (1.5m to 2m) range.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    Scott,

The ST-E2 will work pretty well if the distances are less than 20 feet or so and you are indoors. It will work at longer distances, and outdoors, but MAY be less than perfect at the extremes. It does need to be able to see the off camera flash unit. It works well with FEC settings. I carry it in my kit as it is small and a useful replacement for the off camera cord when the cord it is too short.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=164264&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Or you can use a second 580ex or 430ex as a master on the camera and use the off camera unit as the slave, but much brighter than the on camera unit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    ... Or you can use a second 580ex or 430ex as a master on the camera and use the off camera unit as the slave, but much brighter than the on camera unit.

Scott,

Similar to Pathfinder's suggestion, you have the Sigma flash which can also act as master-slave with two flashes, so that's my recommendation for remote control with more distance than an off-camera cord.

There is a very expensive option using modified cables:

http://www.paramountcords.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Canon-ETTL-Cord&cat=93

... and a DIY project.

http://www.hackphoto.com/2005/12/20/extending-the-canon-off-camera-shoe-cord-with-a-keyboard-cable/

The problem with the longer cables is that you are dealing with very small voltage signals. Sometimes you can get unusual operation. That's why Canon doesn't make or endorse these longer versions. (Plus they sell more "master" flash units I expect selling only short cables.:):)

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Why do you need the extra few feet?
    Looking to acquire a solution that will allow me to maintain TTL between my flash and camera (see siggy for equipment list).

I have found the Canon solution (a 60cm cord, see here for picture & details), but was wondereing if there were other solutions that would allow for a longer reach between the camera and the flash.

This cord is a nomimal 60cm, but I have heard that you can stretch it a little bit. I don't know what "a little bit" in this context really means. I'm looking for something in the 4ft to 6ft (1.5m to 2m) range.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

You can stretch the cord a bit. I've yanked mine at arms length and it hasn't given out yet. I've also stretched it to mount behind a diffuser thingey to get a cheap soft box effect (out of frame). The wireless rig works well, but it ain't perfect. I don't know the Sigma, but it you're using a Master/Slave thing you'll need to waaaaay adjust the ratio if you're only looking for a few feet of reach. Or fire the Master off into the abyss.

Since I don't know what you want this short reach for may I suggest just using a reflector and then adjust your FEC?

Or.... hire a professional lighting crew to follow you everywhere you go?
    rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    You can stretch the cord a bit. I've yanked mine at arms length and it hasn't given out yet. I've also stretched it to mount behind a diffuser thingey to get a cheap soft box effect (out of frame). The wireless rig works well, but it ain't perfect. I don't know the Sigma, but it you're using a Master/Slave thing you'll need to waaaaay adjust the ratio if you're only looking for a few feet of reach. Or fire the Master off into the abyss.

Since I don't know what you want this short reach for may I suggest just using a reflector and then adjust your FEC?

Or.... hire a professional lighting crew to follow you everywhere you go?
    rolleyes1.gif
    The reach I was referring to was/is the distance between the flash and the camera - not the distance between the flash and subject (that will be a much more normal distance).

Ziggy and Pathfinder,

Thanks for the input. The ideas and links will give me something to think about.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    Scott - why not give up the ETTL and use a pair of PWs - that will give you any range you need. Or splice 18 guage ZIP cord into a standard PC cord.

If you ust have ETTL, use the cable that connect computer keyboards and splice it into an ETTL cord - there are 5 strands of copper wire in the ETTL cord circuitry and 5 or 6 in a computer keybord cable ( not a usb but an older style cable)

One reason I like ETTL is macro where you get into conversion factors due to the closeness of the subject.

But for normal subjects, the light does not change if the strobe is fixed in output. For studio work, fixed strobes are great - no ETTL needed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin