this is driving me CRAZY - PLEASE help!!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited July 11, 2006 in Accessories
okay,

well, I was flipping through a photography magazine (heaven forbid I buy more than one...but I bought shutterbug instead) and saw the coolest thing! it was an LCD screen that fit over the viewfinder, so one could have a live view LCD and it swiveled and all that jazz. and it was like...$250...and I looked at the name really hard and swore that I'd remember the name...............I didn't.

does anyone know what I'm talking about?!

I sure hope so...this is bugging me! haha.

Thanks,

Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    okay,

well, I was flipping through a photography magazine (heaven forbid I buy more than one...but I bought shutterbug instead) and saw the coolest thing! it was an LCD screen that fit over the viewfinder, so one could have a live view LCD and it swiveled and all that jazz. and it was like...$250...and I looked at the name really hard and swore that I'd remember the name...............I didn't.

does anyone know what I'm talking about?!

I sure hope so...this is bugging me! haha.

Thanks,

Ross

You probably mean the Zigview... I just bought one...

78804792-M.jpg

Probably best to order direct from the Korean manufacturer... secu-line.com
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Check here also...if you do get it please let us know what you think

Fred
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    Ross,

It is pretty cool, but also somewhat limited, for now. The display is only 220 x 176 pixels (less than 40K pixels), so it's pretty low resolution, about 1/10th of what I would like. I would say that the primary use is for image composition when the camera is at an odd angle to your body, mostly high above to very low.

I have an older e-mail from the manufacturer, and there is a model in development which will provide a port for external video. This would allow an external video monitor and even real-time recording. No word on whether it would have improved resolution.

I am waiting until someone provides that capability, at least VGA resolution (640x480, 300K pixels or therebouts) and external video. The uses for me greatly improve at that point. In the meantime, my Minolta A2 has more than that right now, so that's what I use when I need those things.

There is a US distributor:

http://www.climaxdigital.com/zigview/zigview.html?gclid=CNP6_dqLh4YCFQutIgodoRN1hg

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    thnaks guys!
    that's definitely it, my mind is at ease now...

Thanks!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Would you do us all a favor?
    leek wrote:
    You probably mean the Zigview... I just bought one...
    It would be awesome if you could write at least a brief review.. bowdown.gif
    The thing is - you're probaly the first person I met (online and IRL) who owns a darn gizmo :):
    It's like - everybody knows about it, but nobody ever gets one...ne_nau.gif
    TIA! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    This was reviewed in one of the camera mags...can't remember which one either Shutterbug or Pop Photo.
    If I remember it wasn't a real great review ne_nau.gif

Fred
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have an older e-mail from the manufacturer, and there is a model in development which will provide a port for external video. This would allow an external video monitor and even real-time recording. No word on whether it would have improved resolution.
    ziggy53

Zig, i'm pretty sure they've already come out with it. cause there are 2 versions of the ZigView the one you have and one with a video port plus ways to set your exposure.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    Zig, i'm pretty sure they've already come out with it. cause there are 2 versions of the ZigView the one you have and one with a video port plus ways to set your exposure.thumb.gif

Daniel,

Sorry, I don't have one. I am waiting for one with the features I mentioned.

There are only two models available, that I'm aware of.

The original model and a newer one that senses motion in the frame and actuates the shutter automatically. I haven't seen a review of the newer model, or enough details about its function to know if it's desirable.

The original model appears to have an "External Port", but I found this on their site:

"Dear customer,

The COM port of Zigview SC-V100 model is just for service center.
    It can not be connected to TV or computer.

Thanks."

If you have a link to something with the video out port, I'd surely appreciate knowing where it is.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Fred,
    USAIR wrote:
    This was reviewed in one of the camera mags...can't remember which one either Shutterbug or Pop Photo.
    If I remember it wasn't a real great review ne_nau.gif

Fred

I believe I've seen some.. However, something about those reviews did not ride along with my internal QA... ne_nau.gif Hence I'd rather hear a personal opinion...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    FYI, Olympus E-330 was recently the first live-lcd display on one of their flagship SLR cameras. The problem as always however is the view area that one sees isnt quite 95% I believe. Other than that, I think it is a sweet feature, especially for those who take pictures in situations where sunlight could potentially burn one's retinas.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork