Options

Overpass on Hwy. 99, California

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited July 11, 2006 in Landscapes
Just got back from shooting Hwy. 99 from an overpass. My original plan was to capture traffic coming down the grapevine (I-5), coming north but the closer I got, the less cars you could see on the mountain - from Bakersfield you can see a line of cars coming down the hill.

So...I decided to shoot anyways. I was pretty happy with the results since this was really my first time at night standing over a freeway! :uhoh

There's two of each image - before and after PS. Not sure if I like the darker or lighter. Also, I just noticed a small branch in the bottom left corner of the last two - I'll PS it! Comments and Critics are always welcome! :thumb

80692426-M.jpg

80692512-M.jpg

80692757-M.jpg

80692821-M.jpg

80692858-M.jpg

80692969-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!:D
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Nice series of shots. If I had to choose, I'd go with the lighter set over the dark set.
  • Options
    germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I'll go with the dark set over the light -- they look more mysterious and I'm a sucker for mystery. Also, I like the ones with the palm trees. They add more visual interest.
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    The first two are about Highway 99 at night, the remaining are about two palms and the moon at night. For car lights at night you did a good job on exposure.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    Thank you all for your comments! thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I'm leaning toward the lighter ones also but I'd back off a bit. I recommend you layer the light ones over the dark ones and drop the opacity down a bit...maybe to 70%.

Erich
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    Verrrrry nice. thumb.gif

The dark ones for me, please. nod.gif

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I like Erich's idea....somewhere in the middle!!! Great shots! thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Kevin,
    I like it in general... And I agree that maybe something in the middle would be better...

Something like that, maybe (just a grad blending of your images, hope you don't mind)?

80908504-L.jpg

Cool shooting! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Agreed! Thanks for the tip!

Here's my quick attempt.

80914775-M.jpg
    erich6 wrote:
    I'm leaning toward the lighter ones also but I'd back off a bit. I recommend you layer the light ones over the dark ones and drop the opacity down a bit...maybe to 70%.

Erich

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    kdog wrote:
    Verrrrry nice. thumb.gif

The dark ones for me, please. nod.gif

Regards,
    -joel

Light, Dark, LIGHT, DARK! AGGGHHH!!! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment!thumb.gif

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I like Erich's idea....somewhere in the middle!!! Great shots! thumb.gif

Thank you Saurora!thumb.gif

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Thanks Nik! I don't mind at all - Blend away! :D

I'm not one to blend, but I thought I'd give it a shot. While doing so, I saw your post and used it as a guide. Talk about close! Now if I can just remember what I did!rolleyes1.gif

I really enjoyed this shoot and would like to try some more locations! There's nothing but dirt during the day in Bakersfield...so I think I'll start shooting at night!rolleyes1.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like it in general... And I agree that maybe something in the middle would be better...

Something like that, maybe (just a grad blending of your images, hope you don't mind)?

80908504-L.jpg

Cool shooting! thumb.gif

- Kevin