Options

Avoid Converging Verticals

GudniBGudniB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 10, 2006 in Technique
Hi

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding converging verticals (or at least minimizing the effect) without having to splash out on a perspective control lens?

Although I obviously use a digital camera I am keen to limit the amount of post capture processing I have to do.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    GudniB wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding converging verticals (or at least minimizing the effect) without having to splash out on a perspective control lens?

Although I obviously use a digital camera I am keen to limit the amount of post capture processing I have to do.
    This can be fixed quite well in Photo Shop...have you got it & if so..what version ?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Gus, he said he doesn't want to use photoshop. And so my suggestion is don't. The convergence is a natural photographic phenomonon. Why do we have to make everything so sanitized. Let them converge I say. Let them converge!

goodrich168.jpg

Imperfection can be quite eye catching and interesting I think. But it tends to drive the obsessive-compulsives out there crazy mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    I agree with Shay, I've always liked the look and rarely been motivated to correct it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Well,
    Gus, he said he doesn't want to use photoshop. And so my suggestion is don't. The convergence is a natural photographic phenomonon. Why do we have to make everything so sanitized. Let them converge I say. Let them converge!

While I agree with what Shay and Sid said, since you asked a direct question...

You don't want the convergence, you don't want to use a shift lens and you don't want to correct the convergence in post.

The only way I know of how to get what you want is to get a lens approximately twice as wide as you would otherwise, go portrait, ensure that your camera is strictly horizontal - and later lose the bottom half of the shot, resulting in a 50% smaller landscapish image.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GudniBGudniB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Guys

Thanks for the advice.

In my opinion converging verticals are acceptable on taller buildings where they act to exaggerate the height.

Generally though I would like to minimize the effect. I except that in most cases it's almost impossible (and not necessary) to avoid.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,889 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    The problem is more evident with a wider lens. The further back from the base of the object, and the closer to the middle of the height of the object, there will be less visible convergence.

So use a very long lens at distance and a ladder to stand on equal to half the height of the object.

While I realize this isn't always possible, that's another question entirely. :D

(In "olden days", with optical printing, you could just tilt the print board and use a smaller aperture on the enlarger lens. See how "digital" complicates everything? ne_nau.gif I suggest you all send your digital cameras to me for proper disposal, while you all go back to film cameras and "silver" prints.thumb.gif)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I suggest you all send your digital cameras to me for proper disposal, while you all go back to film cameras and "silver" prints.thumb.gif)

ziggy53

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifLikewise for anyone in Europe (Save postage)

Stan
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    And that goes for any L (Learner Glass) iloveyou.gif

Stan