Options

A simple pleasure

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 15, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi y'all,

A few weeks ago when I visited the Viera Wetlands and ran across the lesser bittern http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36510. Except for the bittern it was a rather slow day.

I got to thinking about how much I was enjoying this slow day and just taking in what was around. I was the only person there that day and it was real peaceful. This is kind of new stuff to me. I spent my first 57 years in NYC whre you are trained to take all kind of wierd happenings in your stride and not to notice or be impressed by much.

As I said it was kind of slow but I managed to get a few non-bittern shots in.

As always the anhings were willing to pose for ya 76671015-O.jpg

I ran across a juvenile caracara who apparantly was trained to be backlit. I normally would have passed on the shot but took a couple because I didn't have any shots of a juvenile caracara. I used the better beamer on this shot.
76671045-O.jpg

the stilts were out in good numbers
76671062-O.jpg

76671095-O.jpg

there were a few of their chicks around, not a good shot but the only one I got
76671058-O.jpg

as always the gators were lurking about
76671051-L.jpg

as I was leaving the caracaras stopped by for a few shots
76671088-O.jpg

a spoonbill was the last bird I saw as I departed
76671076-L.jpg

It wasn't one of my better days for pics but it was really a fine time.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Glad you enjoyed your shooting time. Sometimes it's very nice to be the only human around for as far as one can see. Just you and the animals. The best kind of shooting IMO. Nice series. thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Doggonit, Harry
    Doggonit Harry, I can stick around all day and not see anything but a few gulls, and that's if I'm lucky. It must really be great having so many birds to enjoy.

As always, top-shelf work.

Cheers
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    always have a fine time shooting, slow, fast, or rockin

Just out shooting good enough for me

Understand your feelings completely Harry

I'll take your slow day anytime!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Stunning, Harry! thumb.gif

76671015-M.jpg

Where I go I am usually the only one there. When some guy comes by with his big dog off the leash, I wish I had a cannon instead of a Canon! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Beautiful as always Harry.You should have slow days more oftenmwink.gif
    Btw it looks like you have some cleaning to done_nau.gif
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Harry,

As always great photos thanks for sharing, and if this is a slow day what’s a good day so many targets you can’t pick one out?
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Harry, can I borrow your camera? I've got some blue herons and bald eagles near where I live that I'd like to take WORTHY shots of!

And nice shot of the spoonbill!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I wish I had some slow days like you! clap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Glad you enjoyed your shooting time. Sometimes it's very nice to be the only human around for as far as one can see. Just you and the animals. The best kind of shooting IMO. Nice series. thumb.gif

Thanks Mike. It is a pleasure being the only person around. Being old and cranky I like it better when there's no one around to annoy me. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Doggonit Harry, I can stick around all day and not see anything but a few gulls, and that's if I'm lucky. It must really be great having so many birds to enjoy.

As always, top-shelf work.

Cheers

It is great to have so many subjects so readily available. After having spent 57 years in NYC I earned it. :D

Thanks for the kind words.
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    this is funny --I had a doc that was not in so i took the time and sat by the water with my camera --it was dead just water and me oh and the camera made three you did way better foe a slooooow day than me --now that little stilt IS CUTE thumb.gif those egrets eek7.gif it was fun was it not Harry I sat there way longer than the shots called for but no one was around clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    always have a fine time shooting, slow, fast, or rockin

Just out shooting good enough for me

Understand your feelings completely Harry

I'll take your slow day anytime!! thumb.gif

Hey Ben,

Nothing better than hanging out and grabbing a few shots. Thanks for stopping by.
    Harry
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Mike. It is a pleasure being the only person around. Being old and cranky I like it better when there's no one around to annoy me. rolleyes1.gif

I guess I've got a long way to go before I get that old and cranky. :uhoh rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 12, 2006
    The subtle reflection on the spoonbill is cool and is that caracara on
    The Tree?

Nice series too.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Stunning, Harry! thumb.gif

76671015-M.jpg

Where I go I am usually the only one there. When some guy comes by with his big dog off the leash, I wish I had a cannon instead of a Canon! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Ric. I have a low tolerance level for idiots lately. They built this accursed 55+ "active seniors" development next to the Wetlands and they are all over the place. There's a big sign at the entrance to the Wetlands warning about the gators and these idiots come in with their dogs who are not leashed. Sooner or later a gator will have a doggie snack (I hope I'm there to get the shot naughty.gif) and then they will scream bloody murder about the gators being a danger.

I still remember tracking a green heron for 45 minutes to get a clear shot only to have this damned mutt come running up and chase the heron off. Its owner came up smiling and asked me how I was doing. I'm afraid I told him how I was doing and what I wanted to do to him and his dog. :pissed
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Beautiful as always Harry.You should have slow days more oftenmwink.gif
    Btw it looks like you have some cleaning to done_nau.gif

Thanks John. Conditions down here had been so dusty that I had to clean my sensor after every shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Ric. I have a low tolerance level for idiots lately. They built this accursed 55+ "active seniors" development next to the Wetlands and they are all over the place. There's a big sign at the entrance to the Wetlands warning about the gators and these idiots come in with their dogs who are not leashed. Sooner or later a gator will have a doggie snack (I hope I'm there to get the shot naughty.gif) and then they will scream bloody murder about the gators being a danger.

I still remember tracking a green heron for 45 minutes to get a clear shot only to have this damned mutt come running up and chase the heron off. Its owner came up smiling and asked me how I was doing. I'm afraid I told him how I was doing and what I wanted to do to him and his dog. :pissed

Unfortunately, the worlds full of 'em. nod.gif

This guy with the mutt was tracking me in the fresh snow early last winter. I could easily tell. It pissed me off.

A little later, I was leaning against a tree with less than a foot between me and the river. I had my madbomber cap on with the flaps half up (I hope you can picture that) and a long storm jacket. So this duffus comes bounding up the path with his dog (still loose) stands about 3 ft. from me and DOES NOT SEE ME! All I did was grunt and he soiled himself. When he had recomposed himself he said "Whatcha' doin'.....taken pictures"? I said " no I'm out here lookin' for a date......are you available"! Needless to say him and his doggie left in a big hurry. He never did answer me!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Sweet Harry ... every shot ... sweet. I always enjoy seeing your stuff.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    wolfies wrote:
    Harry,

As always great photos thanks for sharing, and if this is a slow day what’s a good day so many targets you can’t pick one out?

Thanks and it was slow for the wetlands. I got some shots of the "bird as a statue" type but not too many action shots which I prefer. Still it was a fine day and I loved it.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    The subtle reflection on the spoonbill is cool and is that caracara on
    The Tree?

Nice series too.

ian

Thanks Ian. That wasn't THE TREE it was the FENCE POST. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 13, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Ian. That wasn't THE TREE it was the FENCE POST. :D

Ah. I really liked that spot--very peaceful and wonderfully stocked with
    beautiful birds.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Harry, can I borrow your camera? I've got some blue herons and bald eagles near where I live that I'd like to take WORTHY shots of!

And nice shot of the spoonbill!

Thanks Steve, unfortunately if you want my camera you have to take me too because we are kind of attached. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    I wish I had some slow days like you! clap.gif

Thanks Glenn. wave.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    I guess I've got a long way to go before I get that old and cranky. :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

It takes lots of work and practice :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Sweet Harry ... every shot ... sweet. I always enjoy seeing your stuff.

Thanks for the kind wortds and for taking the time to comment
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Ah. I really liked that spot--very peaceful and wonderfully stocked with
    beautiful birds.

It is a wonderful spot and I can't wait to get back there. The wetlands have been closed for the last two weeks due to a waterline break. :cry
    Harry