Options

Connection HELP Please

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited August 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've been having trouble with my Belkin Pre-N router kicking off during uploads. I'm using Star Explorer and when uploading after about the first 70 files I lose my connection (I guess). I can restart my router (via software) and it starts uploading again. May upload 20 then out again. I haven't had this problemin the past.

You ask "Why don't you contact Belkin". Well I did, unfortunately we had a communication issue - my southern accent didn't mixed with their India accent. They did tell me I needed to lock in a channel - I did - It didn't work.

I'm not too savvy with this networking stuff and I need help. I'm shooting tournaments and have hundreds of shots to upload so time is of the essence.

Thanks
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Have you also run a dslreports.com test? Have to register, but it's free. Do the packet loss test and share the link you get in the results.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Have you also run a dslreports.com test? Have to register, but it's free. Do the packet loss test and share the link you get in the results.

Thanks Andy,

I signed up w/ dslreports.com and it was still showing "Testing In Progress" when I left for work.

One strange thing about the connection issue is when the router stops during the upload I can't get on the internet or any web pages but my email still appears to function. I reset my router and the internet it accessible.
    Wonder if there is some kind of timer functionheadscratch.gif

The router kicking out only happens during uploading - Can be on the internet without uploading indefinitely.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 10, 2006
    Greg,

What you need to work out is, whether your wireless connection is getting kicked or whether the internet connection is getting disconnected. My guess is that your wireless connection is getting disconnected.

The chances are that you have some sort of interference from another device like cordless phone, etc since numerous devices share the 2.4 GHz frequency.

That is the reason they are telling you to lock in a certain channel, but the trick is to determine which channel has the least interference.

Hope this makes some sense.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Greg,

What you need to work out is, whether your wireless connection is getting kicked or whether the internet connection is getting disconnected. My guess is that your wireless connection is getting disconnected.

The chances are that you have some sort of interference from another device like cordless phone, etc since numerous devices share the 2.4 GHz frequency.

That is the reason they are telling you to lock in a certain channel, but the trick is to determine which channel has the least interference.

Hope this makes some sense.

David

Thanks for the reply.

If it were interference from another device it seems like the connection would get kicked if I was just surfing the net. It doesn't. Just gets kicked during uploads.

This is also a new problem - I've previously uploaded 1000's of shots without this problem. Also have the same wireless devices in the house.

Tried other versions of SE - no change. Maybe it was a firmware update for the router?
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    If it were interference from another device it seems like the connection would get kicked if I was just surfing the net. It doesn't. Just gets kicked during uploads.

yeah i thought about that after posting while rereading your original post.

My suggestion would be to try to isolate whether the problem is router or internet related. Can you connect your computer to the internet without using your router. If this works fine, then the problem definately is something with your router.

At least that way, you have eliminated internet related issues if you need to contact support, one more tick in the box.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    what firmware version are you using ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    what firmware version are you using ?
    I'll check when I get home but it's up to date (I let it check for updates last night)

Wife called with a plumbing problem so I may be home sooner than expected. Guess when it rains it pours rolleyes1.gif (bad plumbing pun)
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    ok looked up the manual online, here's some other things to try...

-What's the ACK Mode set to under QoS Configuration on the Wireless->Channel and SSID ?

If it's set to 'Burst ACK', change it to 'Immediate ACk', if that has no effect set it back to 'Burst ACK'.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Test showed passing - http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2058521
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    ok looked up the manual online, here's some other things to try...

-What's the ACK Mode set to under QoS Configuration on the Wireless->Channel and SSID ?

If it's set to 'Burst ACK', change it to 'Immediate ACk', if that has no effect set it back to 'Burst ACK'.

Already set to Immediate ACK

Router Info: Firmware Version 1.01.03 Boot Version 2.01.08 Hardware F5D8230-4
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Already set to Immediate ACK

Router Info: Firmware Version 1.01.03 Boot Version 2.01.08 Hardware F5D8230-4

Any more suggestions? I'll try skipping the router with my next uploads.

I sent Belkin an email.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Any more suggestions? I'll try skipping the router with my next uploads.

I sent Belkin an email.

Does this reply from Belkin make since?

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

We understand that the router shuts off the connection to the Internet, while uploading photos to your website.

We suggest you try changing the MTU settings on the computers to resolve the issue.

The third party Dr. TCP software can be used to change the MTU setting.

This can be downloaded from:
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

- Unzip the Utility to your desktop.
    - Run the utility.
    - In the Adapter Settings pull down, select the Ethernet driver and adapter used to connect with the network.
    - In the MTU box, type the MTU size you are trying (like 1400).
    - Click in any other box, without changing the data there.
    - Click Apply.
    - Click Exit.
    - Restart the computer.
    Greg
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I've been having trouble with my Belkin Pre-N router kicking off during uploads. I'm using Star Explorer and when uploading after about the first 70 files I lose my connection (I guess). I can restart my router (via software) and it starts uploading again. May upload 20 then out again. I haven't had this problemin the past.

You ask "Why don't you contact Belkin". Well I did, unfortunately we had a communication issue - my southern accent didn't mixed with their India accent. They did tell me I needed to lock in a channel - I did - It didn't work.

I'm not too savvy with this networking stuff and I need help. I'm shooting tournaments and have hundreds of shots to upload so time is of the essence.

Thanks

Get some mtu modifying software. 1400 should work.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Does this reply from Belkin make since?

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

We understand that the router shuts off the connection to the Internet, while uploading photos to your website.

We suggest you try changing the MTU settings on the computers to resolve the issue.

The third party Dr. TCP software can be used to change the MTU setting.

This can be downloaded from:
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

- Unzip the Utility to your desktop.
    - Run the utility.
    - In the Adapter Settings pull down, select the Ethernet driver and adapter used to connect with the network.
    - In the MTU box, type the MTU size you are trying (like 1400).
    - Click in any other box, without changing the data there.
    - Click Apply.
    - Click Exit.
    - Restart the computer.
    mtu is the maximum transmission unit and it governs the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted in one packet.

Download Dr. TCP from the link provided and follow their instructions.

Let me know if you have any problems.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    mtu is the maximum transmission unit and it governs the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted in one packet.

Download Dr. TCP from the link provided and follow their instructions.

Let me know if you have any problems.

David

Tried MTU=1400 and no luck. Still kicked off. :cry
    Greg
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Tried MTU=1400 and no luck. Still kicked off. :cry

Just bypassed the router and connected directly into the modem (cable connection) and uploaded 115 files (then 117) without any trouble.

Must be the router.
    Greg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Just bypassed the router and connected directly into the modem (cable connection) and uploaded 115 files (then 117) without any trouble.

Must be the router.
    :cry on the router
    clap.gif on the uploading clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :cry on the router
    clap.gif on the uploading clap.gif

But how do I fix my router?
    Greg
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    But how do I fix my router?
    I was about to make this VERY same thread! I had this problem the last time I tried StarExplorer about a year ago, and now I'm having it again! THIS TIME I'M GOING TO FIX IT!

For the record, I have the problem with *any* uploader I use if the transfer goes on for a while.

When it happens (usually at the 2hr mark, but sometimes before), all HTTP traffic is stopped, but I can still use AIM so I know I'm still connected...it seems that only port 80 is effected.

When I connect the computer without the router, everything works perfectly. Did you ever get this resolved Bodley?

*Since this only happens when uploading to Smugmug and NOT when playing videogames for hours (which is uploading AND downloading continuously), or downloading large files from the internet...I'm guessing its a Smugmug problem*
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Oh yea, I'm using a Wireless router, but I'm connected to it through wired ethernet.

Edit: I'm also using a Belkin :(
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Since noone has any ideas, maybe you can list which router YOU have (if it works) so I know what else I can buy?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Since noone has any ideas, maybe you can list which router YOU have (if it works) so I know what else I can buy?
    Glad to see you revived the thread.

My setup:
    • Belkin wireless pre-N router (use wired connection)
    • IP Charter Communications (no problems uploading directly to the modem)
    • Star Explorer upload engine (again, no problems when connected directly to modem) - Love the program not an SE issue.
    • PC running XPpro
    • Tried uploading with computer outside the router firewall and the computer virus/firewall/spam stuff shut down without success.
    • Worked fine up until about a month ago
    Why would it work for 70 files then stop??? Almost as if there is something trying to limit the transmission through the router.
    Greg