Options

Exposure compensation, when and why

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in Technique
Any chance someone could explain the basics of when to use exposure compensation and why would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Mush
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I know how to use it but cant explain it mate...have a read here though.

I use it a lot in dark pubs shooting bands.
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Neil van Niekerk has a bunch of nice stuff written up about metering and the use of flash. On the subject of exposure compensation, he writes:
    Using the exposure compensation dial on your camera is only useful when the area that you are metering off, is consistently darker or lighter than "average". Then you could simply dial in the exposure compensation to have the subject appear appropriately darker or lighter. I also use exposure compensation to bracket exposures.
    See his website for all the details.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I keep exposure compensation on a lot of the time for an advanced reason. As a fan of raw format, I keep exposure compensation dialed up about 2/3 stop all the time to make the camera "expose to the right" compared to its usual programming. If I find the highlights are blowing out I'll pull back a bit.

Your camera may have exposure compensation for both the camera and its flash. I used both the other week when taking a picture of a friend who was sitting by a window, and I didn't want the outdoor scene to blow out. I'm no expert at flash, but for several frames I adjusted exposure compensation on both the camera and the flash until both the subject and the outside background lighting were as balanced as I could get them.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Your camera may have exposure compensation for both the camera and its flash. I used both the other week when taking a picture of a friend who was sitting by a window

On the Canon system - I thought the camera exposure compensation setting would override the flash setting. So you can adjust one or the other but not both?

Entirely possible I'm wrong.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Thanks all for the quick responses, more than anything I think I just need to do some experimenting to see if what I've read makes sense in a practical way.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    On the Canon system - I thought the camera exposure compensation setting would override the flash setting. So you can adjust one or the other but not both?

Entirely possible I'm wrong.

I believe you can adjust both. The camera's exposure compensation is for ambient light. Flash exposure compensation is for the subject. I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.