Sort order of photos in galleries

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 9, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I'd like some alternative options for ordering images within galleries. Right now the only options are either upload order or manual reordering. But what about:
  1. Shot order from the exif data
  2. Alpha sort via filename
Perhaps there are others? But the above two support getting originals and edits together automatically.
If not now, when?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like some alternative options for ordering images within galleries. Right now the only options are either upload order or manual reordering. But what about:
    1. Shot order from the exif data
    2. Alpha sort via filename
    Perhaps there are others? But the above two support getting originals and edits together automatically.

rutt, look again. it's all there, already :D

http://www.smugmug.com/help/store-photos

and the text from the help page:

You can arrange photos within a gallery or move them between galleries.

To do so, you must be logged in. You can find photo tools beneath each photo in your galleries except the smallest thumbnails.

The easiest option is Sort Gallery. You'll find options to sort by date taken, caption or filename. (See the bottom of this help section for advanced info about date taken).

Don't see how to display filenames as captions? Click the customize gallery button associated with the gallery.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    rutt, look again. it's all there, already :D
    Thanks, Andy. Now, I just want to be able to control this from the API. But I'll post that in the right place.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. Now, I just want to be able to control this from the API. But I'll post that in the right place.

what do you do with the api? fess up now, share the love deal.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    It's also important to note that smugmug uses date modified for date taken so it will sort them in the order of your edit... not the order you took them.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    It's also important to note that smugmug uses date modified for date taken so it will sort them in the order of your edit... not the order you took them.
    Now that I have had a chance to play with this feature, it's really not what I had in mind at all. What I want is a galllery property that will keep images sorted according to different rules, even as new images are uploaded. In fact, I'd like to be able to set the default for this property so that all my galleries would be sorted, say by filename and stay that way even as new images are uploaded to them.

And as Greaper points out, the date taken sort isn't really right. I do use a consistent filename convention that would make this work out, except when the camera wraps around every 10,000 shots...
    If not now, when?