Options

Which one would you choose?

lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited November 7, 2004 in Wildlife
Hi All,

For my first proper post here at DGrin, I thought I'd ask for your aesthetic opinions.

I have created a 1 page calendar, which I hope to distribute to friends & colleagues as a Christmas present. The calendar will be printed on A3 (42cm x 30cm / 16.5in x 11.8in) photographic paper at a lab. I have created two versions and am unsure of which one to go for. (I want to finalise on 1 version to take advantage of bulk order discounts.)

>>Version 1<<
http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35963163

With this version I just took one of the shots from my recent shooting trip to Brighton.

>>Version 2<<
http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35963164

Then I thought that that one image is not representative of the body of my work. If I am using this also as an advert, it would be useful to get a broader representation of my portfolio. So I thought I could have 3 different images in the 3 panels: a cityscape, an IR image and a landscape (or more accurately seascape).

My girlfriend prefers V1. She feels that the 3 images in V2 do not sit well together. I am more inclined towards V2, since it does give people an overview of my work to date.

What do you guys think? If you could have either for free (I do not plan to sell this calendar), which one would you take?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Have a good day

Luben

PS: I hope I posted this in the right area. None of the areas really fitted.
>>>> Luben - www.solev.net <<<<

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Hi Luben,

I think no 2, but its marginal, they're both excellent!
  • Options
    DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    luben wrote:
    Hi All,

For my first proper post here at DGrin, I thought I'd ask for your aesthetic opinions.

I have created a 1 page calendar, which I hope to distribute to friends & colleagues as a Christmas present. The calendar will be printed on A3 (42cm x 30cm / 16.5in x 11.8in) photographic paper at a lab. I have created two versions and am unsure of which one to go for. (I want to finalise on 1 version to take advantage of bulk order discounts.)

>>Version 1<<
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35963163

With this version I just took one of the shots from my recent shooting trip to Brighton.

>>Version 2<<
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35963164

Then I thought that that one image is not representative of the body of my work. If I am using this also as an advert, it would be useful to get a broader representation of my portfolio. So I thought I could have 3 different images in the 3 panels: a cityscape, an IR image and a landscape (or more accurately seascape).

My girlfriend prefers V1. She feels that the 3 images in V2 do not sit well together. I am more inclined towards V2, since it does give people an overview of my work to date.

What do you guys think? If you could have either for free (I do not plan to sell this calendar), which one would you take?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Have a good day

Luben

PS: I hope I posted this in the right area. None of the areas really fitted.
    I would choose version one...colors are ecellent. B/w image on number two does not fit as well. Great pictures.
  • Options
    danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Which one?
    Version 1 is more cohesive. I don't like the mixture of b&w in 2.

If you put another colour pic in place of the b&w one in 2 then maybe 2!

Nice pictures. Did you see that photobox want £29 per calendar for a 12-page one from your own pics. I'm not sure about 1-pagers as people like to write dates on, etc.

I love your pictures, btw.

Danny
    Oxford
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    I vote for #1, it flows better. I see your point about the various types of work you do, but the I don't really like the layout of #2. Perhaps a different sort of montage would work better to get your point across.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    I vote for one as well.. I found the second one a little confusing (I'm easily confused) I like them both but love the first one. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Tough one, both are great. I lean towards #2 myself. I find myself trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together on #1 version.

Doug
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    I just looked again, I really like #1.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    really tough... I like both versions. I can see the dilemma that you are in to show people more then one picture.
    I think for a calendar to look on for a whole year, that I would prefer the nr 1... On sad and cold winterdays though, the second one makes me think of summer and the smell of the hay balls.
    Cal 1 is more united, cal 2 offers some distraction.
    So in the end I would go for calender two. I hope that your customers will value this calender, it is a nice gift.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    I think they both look great.

If I were choosing one for myself, I would choose number 1. The three panels flow a bit better and look good together.

If I were using it to promote my work, I might go with number 2 for the reasons you stated.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 5, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I think they both look great.

If I were choosing one for myself, I would choose number 1. The three panels flow a bit better and look good together.

If I were using it to promote my work, I might go with number 2 for the reasons you stated.

I agree with Sid's comments exactly. I prefer the simplicity and continuity of #1 for myself, BUT if the goal is wider representation of your work, then #2 might be a more useful choice even the images seem less related.

Regarding #1, the far right panel does not line up in ine along the seashore and the dock surface - is is possible to achieve better alignement with the 2 frames to the right or not? That is the only thing I see that might improve #1 even more.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    danman wrote:
    Version 1 is more cohesive. I don't like the mixture of b&w in 2.

If you put another colour pic in place of the b&w one in 2 then maybe 2!
    I agree with Danman.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Very tough choice.. I think i would choose the secont one for your intention of showing the diversity of your work. The B&W doesnt bother me too much and if I was recieving this for free I would like the diversity. Just my opinion though. They are both awesome and I love the panorama that you showed us before of the three images from the first one.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    It would be a no brainer for subjective me. I loved the work up I saw on that first photo, but I don't like the last panel, the one on my right.

So, I would choose the second one for me and them. It is the one I like best.
    And there are all the other reasons, too. (Also, if someone were not crazy about one of the shots, they would have two more that they could love, :D )

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 5, 2004
    I like the idea behind #2. However, I might try and find two images for the
    outside that better lead me to the center and which themselves were well
    balanced. #1 is a neat idea and I do like it too.

As far as being representative of your work, I'm not sure three images
    are sufficient. That said, I think two or three different handouts might be
    better. Your client's needs could dictate which you gave out. Sort of like
    developing market segments?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2004
    Thanks a lot Jon (nt)
    gubbs wrote:
    Hi Luben,

I think no 2, but its marginal, they're both excellent!
    luben - www.solev.net
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2004
    This is very interesting!!!!.....
    There does appear to be general consensus that V1 is better than V2. I am very pleased I asked all you guys. It should teach me to trust the better half :D

Well thank you very much for taking the time out to look at both versions. It gave me some ideas to work with. I'll create some new versions & will get back to you.

All the best

Luben
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2004
    Thanks a lot for all your input guys.....
    Thanks a lot for all your input guys,

I took what you said on board and amended V1 by alligning it before splitting. Here is the result:

35998203.jpg

I also recreated V2 by taking out the IR shot. I think it works much better now:

35998204.jpg

But then I went crazy & created 3 other versions. God help me :-)
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998206.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998207.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998205.jpg
    Hope you like them and thanks again for your help
    Luben
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    While I did like the original versions I think the versions you have created now are better. the images selected go together well, and with the different versions available you are representing your work well. Nice job.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    While I did like the original versions I think the versions you have created now are better. the images selected go together well, and with the different versions available you are representing your work well. Nice job.

It is so much more harmonious now... Second version of both looks more finished? Great stuff to have on your walll for a year.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 7, 2004
    #2 is looking pretty attractive. I'd love to be sitting in the room
    in the center shot :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    luben wrote:
    Thanks a lot for all your input guys,

I took what you said on board and amended V1 by alligning it before splitting. Here is the result:

I also recreated V2 by taking out the IR shot. I think it works much better now:

But then I went crazy & created 3 other versions. God help me :-)
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998206.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998207.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/luben/image/35998205.jpg
    Hope you like them and thanks again for your help
    Luben
    Got time on your hands, do you? Laughing.gif

I like the first one the best. V1 For me it guides my eyes from left to right, and tells a story, while the object, pier, is getting closer, the sun is rising.

The photos in V2, while excelent, don't really fit together for me.

I think the only way you can really demo, or show the range of your work in a calendar format would be to have a 12 page calendar. Course that will cost more. :D

Sam