Do we get the benefit of rounding?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited November 11, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Has smugmug started giving the pro accounters the benefit of rounding off of fractions of a cent, or is the new profit estimater off?
Richard

Comments

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    Has smugmug started giving the pro accounters the benefit of rounding off of fractions of a cent, or is the new profit estimater off?
    Richard

There's no "new" profit estimater - it's estimating the same way it always was. To reflect the fact that it's just an estimater, though, we added the word "estimated". :)

I believe pro accounts generally benefit from the extra few fractions of a cent when doing the actual calculations, yes. Your final check is likely to be a cent or two higher, I believe. I'd have to go double-check, so don't quote me or hold me to that, but I think it's the way it works.

Essentially, the estimated earnings page lists earnings on a order-by-order basis (85% of your "spread" above the base smugmug price per order), but when we write the final checks, we add up your entire "spread" above the base and then take 85% of that (the total amount, rather than order-by-order). I believe that will result in a few cents higher in certain situations.

If someone wants more detail, I'm happy to dig through the code and double-check, since I'm just going from memory here (I wrote that stuff long ago, and other than adding a new word to the page, it hasn't changed).

Don
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    Don,
    By new profit estimator I was referring to the one that is in the custom pro pricing page (i.e. the one that is one the page where you enter your prices, not where you go to see your orders in detail).
    I ask because one of my orders was for 9 4x6's that I had priced at $1.99. So that's .85((9x1.99)-(9x.29)) = $13.005. My orders page says $12.96, because what it does is .85(1.99-.29) = 1.445, rounds down to 1.44, then multiplies by 9 for $12.96.
    Now if I go to the custom pro pricing page and enter in 1.99 for a 4x6 it says my per image profit will be...dang it nevermind, that gives the profits before the 15% commission. 11doh.gif