Tripod recommendations?

jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Accessories
OK - finally getting out of the heat and going to Banff :clap in August!

It'd be nice to have a tripod I think - but Im NOT a pro...just need something that will do the job for a 20D and perhaps a 70-200 that I may borrow (else my 135 with a TC).

If its too heavy, I'm apt to not bring it along....if its too expensive, I'm apt to not buy it! Do I need a tripod or a monopod? Help!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Jefy Mathew

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    If you can't do it handheld, you can't do it with a monopod. A monopod is support for a heavy lens, not a tripod-lite.

Do a search, we have quite a few threads on tripods. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I love my Gitzo Explorer 2220. Not sure if it's what you would want, though. Also, what's your budget? (The Gitzo 2220 cost about $300 total with shipping)
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Feisol, Feisol, Feisolclap.gif
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    budget
    Red Bull wrote:
    I love my Gitzo Explorer 2220. Not sure if it's what you would want, though. Also, what's your budget? (The Gitzo 2220 cost about $300 total with shipping)

-was hoping for ~$150-200 at the most if possible
    Jefy Mathew
    edited July 16, 2006
    ugh
    Ok....done the search thing, faithfully heeded advice from all, and still just as frustrated as ever. How about this - pretend my money is yours, and someone please just TELL ME what to buy!?!?!? Not just a brand name or # - but all the other thingys that are needed too

Anyone with time on their hands to weigh in, I thank you in advance! Here are the terms:

-$400-500 MAX for the tripod and what seems to be a dozen different do-dads with various abbreviated part #s that make no sense to me - extra credit if you can come up with a ~$300's solution
    -No need for macro work
    -To be used when we travel (read: needs to be relatively light enough to convince my wife to carry it rolleyes1.gif )
    -Wont be used with anything heavier than a 70-200 2.8 on a 20D - ever.
    Jefy Mathew
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Narrow your search to carbon fiber, if it needs to be light. Raises the price, tho.

And the 70-200 2.8 is plenty heavy: you'll need a good head as well as a sturdy tripod.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 16, 2006
    Look at some of Gitzo's tripods. They have some nice sturdy ones. As for a head, you have 2 choices. A ball head, or a pan/tilt. I actually got a nice ball head from Amnova off their eBay store for $3. Costed $10 to ship, but I didn't mind since it was cheap enough. I really don't know a ton about tripods, but there are a lot of people on here that know a lot about them.

All I have to say is I love my Gitzo Explorer 2220. (Although you probably wouldn't need something like that since you don't need it for macro stuff. Still convenient, though.
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    I have this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFESSIONAL-CAMERA-TRIPOD-KIT-3-WAY-PAN-HEAD-AT-838_W0QQitemZ200005891257QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It supports upto 13.2 pounds. A 70-200 2.8 weighs 4 pounds and a 20d weighs 1 1/2 pounds so that = 5.5 pounds. More than adequate.

If you want a lighter tripod try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-CARBON-FIBER-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-CAMERA-TRIPOD-KIT-885_W0QQitemZ180006218071QQihZ008QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I was so impressed with the tripod that I also bought a monopod from them. It is great also.

Just my .02,

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    did you even look at Feisol it is light and not the best but lot less $$$$ and does work
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I agree with Eric about the DynaTrans Amvona sells by bid on ebay, often for for one-half to one-third or less their discounted website ( http://www.amvona.com/ ) prices. I looked at several and ultimately purchased their at828bl non-graphite pod and it was exactly what I wanted at the time.

BUT ... be aware their tripods, though built like the proverbial brick outhouse and are very rugged IMHO, also weigh quite a bit ... even their graphite models when compared by spec. sheet to other well-known brands. Also, their "complete tripods" weights DO NOT apparently include the head ... so, for example, the at828bl was listed at 7.65 pounds. Okay ... but when you add the quick release ball head it came complete with, that throws another 1.5 pounds into the works ... too heavy and bulky (long) to easily backpack with, but perfect for a studio or to take out to a birding site where you will be sitting all day and not doing much distance relocating.

I am still looking for an inexpensive, quality, LIGHT, backpacking model that supports 10-15 pounds for stability (bag-hook plus camera) and will probably keep using my 30+ year old magnesium Focal brand workhorse until I find the perfect graphite tripod.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    did you even look at Feisol it is light and not the best but lot less $$$$ and does work

From what I keep reading it's a great budget alternative--some reviews from very finicky users.

OK, to take the OP's challenge, here is where my money will be going: Feisol tripod (not decided between 3301 or 3371 yet, probably 3301) and a RRS BH-40LR head. So a 3301/BH-40LR combo will run about $575, but should last forever & do it's job without hassle. Oh, and another $180 for an RRS L-bracket.
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I am for Feisol too,

Here is what I will get for $500.

Feisol 4-Section Tripod CT-3401N for $175.00
    Center Column CT 3401 for $39.00
    Feisol Ballhead CB-50H for $159.00
    QRC-50 Quick Release Clamp for $49.00
    QP144750 Quick Releace Plate for $24.00

Total is $446 plus shipping. It should be within 500.
    http://www.feisol.com

Eric
    edited July 17, 2006
    tripod
    Now we are talking!! Thanks so much - Im going to look into those.

RedSox wrote:
    I am for Feisol too,

Here is what I will get for $500.

Feisol 4-Section Tripod CT-3401N for $175.00
    Center Column CT 3401 for $39.00
    Feisol Ballhead CB-50H for $159.00
    QRC-50 Quick Release Clamp for $49.00
    QP144750 Quick Releace Plate for $24.00

Total is $446 plus shipping. It should be within 500.
    http://www.feisol.com

Eric
    Jefy Mathew
    edited July 18, 2006
    heads?
    Ok - I think Im going with the Feisol set-up...but for general family stuff and travel/landscapes - wouldnt I be better getting a pan head rather than a ball head? Or do I just not understand...which is completely possible as well.headscratch.gif
    Jefy Mathew
    edited July 18, 2006
    Either head will be fine, I'm sure. I just got a ball head because I had never used one and i could get it cheap enough. They're both simple to use. A ball head is good if you are going to try and track something moving, or if you need to get your camera at odd angles. A pan head is great for general use and is best if you are going to be trying to do some panoramic stitching.
    -Steven

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Some ppl mentioned the G2220 Gitzo Explorer. I had the
    chance to try it at a shop last week and I was horrified
    by how unrigid it was. If you press on the head of the
    tripod from an angle you can watch the aluminum legs
    describing an arc as they bend. Feistol / Velbon Carbon
    tripods are much better in that respect.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    jmathew wrote:
    Ok - I think Im going with the Feisol set-up...but for general family stuff and travel/landscapes - wouldnt I be better getting a pan head rather than a ball head? Or do I just not understand...which is completely possible as well.headscratch.gif

With ball head you loose it you can move/swivel in all directions, kinda like your shoulder joint. With pan head there are two things to loosen to adjust your camera. One for up and down swivel and one for the left and right. Kinda like you nod your head say yes or shake your head say no.

Ball head is more compact and easy to adjust to any odd position since you only need to make one adjustment as oppose to two adjustment for pan head. But Pan head usually can load heavier camera/lens. If you do lots of panorama shooting, studio etc. Pan head might be a good idea. If you travel, hiking than take the ball head.

Since you said you want to pack light and compact, I recommended you 4 section tripod. The ball head CB-50H can hold up to 41 pounds which should be good enough for you. You can go with CB-70H if you want more. but you will need a different tripod to match the load though.

Eric
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Pan head seems more aimed at video. It's a PITA, I hate the one on my current old cheapie tripod. Many quality ballheads have a panning base built in (I know the RRS one I mentioned does).

Just as another idea, the RRS BH-25LR is $175, so that with a basic plate at $55 puts you at $230 for a top-quality Arca-swiss style setup. With the Feisol ball-head prices so close to RRS, I wouldn't think twice about spending a bit more for what is considered the absolute best equipment money can buy. Anyway, IMHO it would be time well spent browsing their site.