Options

18% luminance

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited July 15, 2006 in Technique
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain 18% luminance to me.
Also, is there a way to 'find it'? (Can you by a card or something?)
I will put the question in context. I took a photo and asked how I could correctly meter for it. (The photo I took is overexposed for the outside scenery). I was told to use fill flash. The method described was to meter for the external light, then point the camera (20D) to a 18% luminance surface, pop the flash up, press the FEL button, then compose and take the shot.

Here is the shot I took.

Any advice on 18% luminance would be helpful.

Thanks
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    christulk wrote:
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain 18% luminance to me.
    To start with, gray cards do not emit light, only reflect it. So a gray card reflects 18% of the light that hits it and has 18% reflectance, not luminance. Minor, but may help in understanding none-the-less mwink.gif
    Also, is there a way to 'find it'? (Can you by a card or something?)
    That is the prefered way as opposed to trying to find something in nature or the surroundings. You can buy paper or plastic gray cards. I have a 4x6" plastic gray card in my camera bag (I cut it myself). You can also get a lens cleaning cloth that is 18% gray. I also carry this in my bag. They are handy for exposure and white balance.

18% gray card
    18% gray micro-fiber cloth

I have never tried the FEC method you mentioned, so you would just have to try it and see if it worked. If I were stuck without a flash meter, my initial try would be to expose for the bright outside background and set the FEC to -1EV and see where that got me, adjusting the flash output as needed.

Another option would be to set the camera on a tripod and take two exposures (not using flash), one for the outside and one for the inside and blend them later in post.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Thanks
    To start with, gray cards do not emit light, only reflect it. So a gray card reflects 18% of the light that hits it and has 18% reflectance, not luminance. Minor, but may help in understanding none-the-less mwink.gif

That is the prefered way as opposed to trying to find something in nature or the surroundings. You can buy paper or plastic gray cards. I have a 4x6" plastic gray card in my camera bag (I cut it myself). You can also get a lens cleaning cloth that is 18% gray. I also carry this in my bag. They are handy for exposure and white balance.

18% gray card
    18% gray micro-fiber cloth

I have never tried the FEC method you mentioned, so you would just have to try it and see if it worked. If I were stuck without a flash meter, my initial try would be to expose for the bright outside background and set the FEC to -1EV and see where that got me, adjusting the flash output as needed.

Another option would be to set the camera on a tripod and take two exposures (not using flash), one for the outside and one for the inside and blend them later in post.

Thanks very much for the advice. Much clearer now.

Cheers
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 15, 2006
    Hey Chris,

Do you have something to do with 'Mr Tulk' at the State Library ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos