Options

fireworks

fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited July 17, 2006 in Technique
ive read a lot about fireworks photography, i got an idea and im wondering if this could work. I was planning to find my spot, set my camera on a tripod. take a picture of the scene an hour before the fireworks then not move the tirpod and take another exposure with the fireworks on.

then merge both pictures. in order to get details in the buildings as well as nice looking fireworks. do-able???

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Just expose for the buildings and the fireworks will work well in one shot. I think taking a shot in the day and then the fireworks at night would just look unatural.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Fireworks play off of the surroundings in cool ways. So taking your photo in one shot will be more dynamic for sure (it's easier too).

From a wedding last week:
    chiappinelli459.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    http://www.victorialodging.com/victoria/images/symphony-splash-fireworks.jpg

I meant something like that.

thanks for the tips. will try regular fireworks shot first
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    you idea has been thought of long time ago since the day of film (double exposure, super impose, etc) but now it's a tad easier to do. in fact many fireworks photographers do this alot.
    you take a shot of the scene at a nice time (or even at the time of the event) WITHOUT the fireworks. and then you can freele turn the camera away and take all the fireworks you like, and cut and paste them later into the scnene you previously took.

example:
    taken at the International fireworks festival on the opening day. the event starts at 10PM when the sky is really dark. also the lights at the park below will be turned all off. i get to the spot at about 8:30 and framed the scene. the sky came out pretty nice. after that i took the real fireworks shot and found this one pretty nice, so i cut and imposed it in the scene. the sky of the fireworks was pitch black, so it's easily be deleted by changing blending mode to Screen.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    thanks phuong im from montreal btw rolleyes1.gif looking foward shooting those :):
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    alternatively if you are a purist, do what gluwater suggests, but this only works at a fairly bright place. basically set the camera at B mode as usual, open the apperture so that the fireworks wouldnt be overexposed - this takes time & experiences - and here's the key: metter the scene (without fireworks) to estimate the exposure. if you're lucky it'll fall between 2-4 seconds (if it's not then bump up the ISO until it is. but remember to close aperture further or else fireworks will be overexposed). when you shoot, estimate every shots so that it'll be within this range. et voila, buildings aren't dark, and fireworks are in correct exposure. a little noisy if you had to use high iso, but with a Canon 20D or so you dont have to worry untill it's iso800. even if you had to use iso800 or 1600, it's easily be cleaned by noise reducer softwares.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    thumb.gif im ready for wednesday then :)
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    fraincs wrote:
    ive read a lot about fireworks photography, i got an idea and im wondering if this could work. I was planning to find my spot, set my camera on a tripod. take a picture of the scene an hour before the fireworks then not move the tirpod and take another exposure with the fireworks on.

then merge both pictures. in order to get details in the buildings as well as nice looking fireworks. do-able???

I've done this both ways, and I prefer doing everything in one shot. It's a bit easier (as mentioned), and tends to look more realistic. However, that being said, you can get some good results by taking the images earlier and stacking with the fireworks. I do this a lot with lightning, and it can work well with fireworks too. Here's a shot I did on the 4th:

81650981-O.jpg

The pano I shot about 30 minutes before the show. I then locked the camera to where I knew the fireworks would be, and shot away. Came out pretty good, but looks a bit unnatural.

Good luck!

James

http://www.langfordphotography.com