A couple from Easton, PA

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited November 9, 2004 in Landscapes
Here's a few I liked from a trip to Easton, wish I could have walked around a bit more. Please let me have your thoughts and critiques when you get a chance.

The Montague Building (apparently)
11082045-L.jpg

War Memorial and church spire at sunset
11082064-L.jpg

Statue from a museum (can't remember which...)
11082067-L.jpg

The background of the statue was distracting, but I don't think I like the black I replaced it with.

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    I like the statue but I think I understand the problem with the black background. The stature has a lot of light and shadows on its surface. This is inconsistent with a black background like this. There would have to be some texture or light of some sort in the background. The way it is looks too much like it was just cut and pasted on a sheet of black paper. So? Show us the original, perhaps. Or try to add some tonal variatios to the background?
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    The war memorial: is that the figure on top, is it the same one in the humor contest?

The statement is even stronger here, as far as humor line, but you could not put it up as humor, it is a war memorial, lol.

ginger

Ooops, I can be rather slow and dim, I did not notice the birds earlier, that is even funnier. Can you somehow say something in the sentence re birds, or would you not want to........ just thought I would mention that. (I mean in the Challenge, I just looked again, that is when I saw the birds.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Here's a few I liked from a trip to Easton, wish I could have walked around a bit more. Please let me have your thoughts and critiques when you get a chance.

The Montague Building (apparently)
    11082045-L.jpg

War Memorial and church spire at sunset
    11082064-L.jpg

Statue from a museum (can't remember which...)
    11082067-L.jpg

The background of the statue was distracting, but I don't think I like the black I replaced it with.
    I like the statue just the way it is...the others show alot of detail...might like more isolated views of them.rolleyes1.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Yep, same statue as the humor one. I'll have to think about the title a bit, I just threw that one in there cuz that's all I could think of at the time. He just looked a bit "put out", so I thought it was funny with the birds on him.

Here's the original shot of the statue.

11072772-L.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    11072772-S.jpg
    Hmm, the flag is great, but the magazines and enclosure are not. The lilght in hte middle right and the bit in the lower middle are a loss. So I might try to clone the background from just to the right of the magazine box over the ugly parts. I'd definitly try to keep the flag, maybe pretty dim. I liked whatever you did to the statue itself, so keep that. I think this image is worth some work. Oh and a title and/or caption. Maybe something from a Woody Guthrie song?
    If not now, when?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions Rutt, it's very helpful. That's what's great about this place. thumb.gif

I'll try get some time to play with it this week.