Nobska Lighthouse, Cape Cod

DRebelGirlDRebelGirl Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited November 12, 2004 in Landscapes
The sky was as blue this day as I'd ever seen it.
Shoot first...ask questions later! :thumb

Comments

• NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Very nice image!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    /very nice rebelgirl... Isn't it nice when we have those clear blue skies?
    Love how the path takes you to the tower. I wonder tho' if that thing is going to fall over or not.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Do you think it would look better if rotated a bit to the left? Your sea is horizontal. so it might just be the perspective deformed by the lens.
    This is only me nitpicking, it is a nice shot.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Yes, it is perspective. I love lighthouse photos, that is a good one!

Snappy knows a lot about fixing perspective, or I should say she is so very good at it. I find it a major pain in the neck, hence I don't do it often, and I am not good at it.

Cletus gave a tutorial on fixing it using the crop tool/method, or something. There is another way, too. There are all in my books. But Cletus might have something on it, or you could PM Snappy.

It is called Keystoning. I don't know what the tutorial would have been called, but it was a Cletus one, to the best of my recollection, a month, or two or three ago. Not longer. I don't know what it would do with the lighthouse either.

I just know that word, and that I don't like doing it, but for some people it is a snap (fixing it).

ginger, love the photo of the lighthouse, though.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, it is perspective. I love lighthouse photos, that is a good one!

Snappy knows a lot about fixing perspective, or I should say she is so very good at it. I find it a major pain in the neck, hence I don't do it often, and I am not good at it.

Cletus gave a tutorial on fixing it using the crop tool/method, or something. There is another way, too. There are all in my books. But Cletus might have something on it, or you could PM Snappy.

It is called Keystoning. I don't know what the tutorial would have been called, but it was a Cletus one, to the best of my recollection, a month, or two or three ago. Not longer. I don't know what it would do with the lighthouse either.

I just know that word, and that I don't like doing it, but for some people it is a snap (fixing it).

ginger, love the photo of the lighthouse, though.

Thanks for the compliment, Ginger.
    I tried the perspective fix on this. I have Photoshop Elements 2. I imagine it would be the same or similar on other programs. You click: Image>Transform>Distort. The program generates a new layer and puts a frame around the image. You click on the upper corners, or in this case, just the top left corner, and pull it out until the top of the lighthouse is parallel to the left edge. In this case the lighthouse is a little too close to the edge. If this image was cropped and the original has more on the left, it would work fine. However, It doesn't really need fixing. I kind of like the look that this perspective gives it. It accentuates the height of the lighthouse from the close up view. Very nice picture.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    /very nice rebelgirl... Isn't it nice when we have those clear blue skies?
    Love how the path takes you to the tower. I wonder tho' if that thing is going to fall over or not.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Do you think it would look better if rotated a bit to the left? Your sea is horizontal. so it might just be the perspective deformed by the lens.
    This is only me nitpicking, it is a nice shot.
    I tend to get a lot of "leaning" towers in my shots...my wife says that I'm not level headed.
    But the walkway adds a very nice touch.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    I have used the perspective option and it can work, but in this case I don't like it. Snappy did a good job straightening up the tower, but I don't like the way the walkway at the top now looks like it's at a strange angle to the tower. That's the trade-off with this tool, it can have other effects on the image that may be more objectionable than the original problem.

Personally, I like the original version better in this case. But folks should definitely play with the perspective tool, because it is very useful in the right circumstances.
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    I like these little challenges. I don't know if this is better or just a little different, but it was fun.

11222490-M.jpg

Hutch