Options

Want a 4GB Microdrive for cheap!!!

special kidspecial kid Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited November 9, 2004 in Accessories
I was just reading in a pc mag. on how to get 4gb micro drives for cheap. How much does a 4GB micro drive cost? How much does a mini ipod cost? well a mini ipod is usually cheaper than the micro drive. But here is the catch a mini ipod comes with a 4gb micro drive CF card in side. Just rip it apart ger rid of the shell and there you go.. I haven't done it yet but i am now looking for an ipod.

Note: it has to be the mini the big 40gb ipods do not use microdrives.

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Buy the Rio Carbon...$250, 5 Gig Microdrive inside...so nice
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    I was just reading in a pc mag. on how to get 4gb micro drives for cheap. How much does a 4GB micro drive cost? How much does a mini ipod cost? well a mini ipod is usually cheaper than the micro drive. But here is the catch a mini ipod comes with a 4gb micro drive CF card in side. Just rip it apart ger rid of the shell and there you go.. I haven't done it yet but i am now looking for an ipod.

Note: it has to be the mini the big 40gb ipods do not use microdrives.
    Adorama has the 4G Ipod for $244.95 and the Microdrive for $5 less at $239.95. There is a $50 rebate which makes the microdrive $55 cheaper. It comes with a PCMCIA adapter which is worth at least $8 so that makes it $63 cheaper. And the frosting on the cake is that the OEM drive that you rip out of the IPOD has no warranty.

Moral of the story.... PC magazines are not always authoritative.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 9, 2004
    Special,

I just picked up a Hitachi (IBM) 4gb MD, including the adapter, for $230 at Frys. Plus it came with a $50 rebate, for a net cost of $180. I think B&H is selling them for around the same price. Not exactly a high speed solution, but it sure holds lots of jpegs mwink.gif Plus, you don't have to trash a perfectly good mp3 player.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero