Options

Buildings

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited February 12, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just cuz things seem a little slow around here tonight, I was messin around downtown saturday waiting to to pick up my kids. I ussually dont take photos of buildings and such but there wasnt anything else there so i took this along with some other stuff.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Just cuz things seem a little slow around here tonight, I was messin around downtown saturday waiting to to pick up my kids. I ussually dont take photos of buildings and such but there wasnt anything else there so i took this along with some other stuff.
    I like the perspective lines - I think this picture has possibilities.... A little more saturation and clone out the antenna and power lines perhaps.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    better?
    I think it looks better on my monitor at home - I like saturated colors as a rule - But more important - What do you think?

• Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    Well...

This may seem a little odd, but I like them both.

The second seems a little more attractive in some ways, the cloning of the power lines and the antenna were an obvious thing i should have done had I paid enough attention to detail. The saturated colors are warm and attractive and it feels good.

The first is, I think also attractive, and the colors are a realistic presentation of the colors present at the time.

I often find that the images I like a lot, most other people do not, and ones that I do not think are my best others rave (relatively) about. I often ask Mrs GREAPER her opinion as she has very good taste in every thing but men.

So my answer is I like em both.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    I kinda like this one.

so cool...like playing with Ilford high contrast paper.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Well...

This may seem a little odd, but I like them both.

The second seems a little more attractive in some ways, the cloning of the power lines and the antenna were an obvious thing i should have done had I paid enough attention to detail. The saturated colors are warm and attractive and it feels good.

The first is, I think also attractive, and the colors are a realistic presentation of the colors present at the time.

I often find that the images I like a lot, most other people do not, and ones that I do not think are my best others rave (relatively) about. I often ask Mrs GREAPER her opinion as she has very good taste in every thing but men.

So my answer is I like em both.

I think you have raised a very good point - Are photographs a documentary tool to record reality/history as accurately as possible or are they a medium for interpretation and thus need to be manipulated - or as Tom Ang calls it is his book "Pixel Polishing " - to better render what the photographer/artist saw in his eye/mind rather than what was captured by the imaging sensor........

I shot in the documentary mode for a long time and never really liked the result - I finally realized the reason was that I was too unwilling to alter the image - I no longer feel this way - MY images are MY images and now I alter them at will - But I am not a scientist or a historian or a journalist, but a an artist who cannot draw very well at all and so depend on photoshop and a digital camera to help me out. Just my two cents..........

• Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    I enjoy photography for the art of it, not any historical record keeping or journalistic purpose, therefore I have no ethical problem manipulating my photos.

I sometimes lack the knowledge or talent to do it well, but that is why we all strive to continue to learn.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    Now you're talking! Nice addiiton.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au