Options

My "DVDs" photo collection...

Femme_PhotaleFemme_Photale Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 10, 2004 in Holy Macro
I came across a local competition a few months back, the categories being "My favourite possessions, places or people" and as a result these were some of the photos I took...of one of my precious posessions...my DVDs!

I entered and was highly commended for the first one which I was stoked about....the quality of entrants was (in my humble opinion) so high that I actually went to look at the display on the first day as it was going up, looked at about 1/3 of the collection before marching right out ...I was so impressed/depressed at the same time I didnt go to the awards night convinced mine wouldnt even be displayed and thought on the last day of the exhibition I should really go and check them out and try to learn from them at least and found my commendation...v. unexpected .The guy that beat me in this category I later discovered was a pro and had just won a bigger competition aswell as I saw the same photo in a photo mag!!
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    No. 2
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    no3
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    dvd's
    I am having a bit of a hard time with the blurr. Maybe I don't get it, or don't have the right eye, but this for me just totally out of focus...
    I am aware of blur that can work for pics, I am missing the point here as to where the blur enhances the photograph...
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    Do you mean for the above one? or all of them? The reason I blurred it was because I wasnt sure about any copyright issues with clearly identifying the DVDs covers/logos/photos etc so I was just experimenting really and seeing what it looked like. It is just meant to be an interesting pattern/colour and not 'clearly' identifiable as anything....i also had just seen a pic in a magazine by a fashion photographer who had taken a 'blurred cityscape' which was being used as the backdrop for some new promotion and thought it was interesting and something i wanted to play around with really...
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    Do you mean for the above one? or all of them? The reason I blurred it was because I wasnt sure about any copyright issues with clearly identifying the DVDs covers/logos/photos etc so I was just experimenting really and seeing what it looked like. It is just meant to be an interesting pattern/colour and not 'clearly' identifiable as anything....i also had just seen a pic in a magazine by a fashion photographer who had taken a 'blurred cityscape' which was being used as the backdrop for some new promotion and thought it was interesting and something i wanted to play around with really...

I can see why you did it, the problem is that we know in advance that it is DVD's... I would prefer the top one, cause you can see there it is DVD's, and it does not matter that much that you blurred. It adds to the top picture. The bottom one is in my humble opinion totally ruined by the blurr.
    The top one has a story, and a composition. There is enough space between dark and light, it makes a pattern when you look at the upper edge of the DVD's.
    I think personally that I would bin the bottom and middle one. But you really should listen to more advize then mine.
    The blurred cityscape made the models pop, or I imagine that it did.
    A blur background with low depth of field is another matter then a blurred image...
    Keep trying to play with colors tho, I follow your reasoning here...
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2004
    Yeh I have a problem with 'binning' things...I have a problem with letting go!! I always hope some future learning of photoshop could bring new horizons...
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2004
    Yeh I have a problem with 'binning' things...I have a problem with letting go!! I always hope some future learning of photoshop could bring new horizons...

I am getting better at binning. I have finally understood that photoshop is a desperate solution for if needed> If I can, I prefer not to need photoshop to "save" a picture.
    In the end a bad picture stays a bad picture.
    Grin... ;o)))