Options

clam chowder

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 12, 2004 in Wildlife
hi everyone,

i'm fortunate to be in northern california again this week. the days are shorter, so it really takes some effort to get out for the good light. today, i headed out to the coast, santa cruz in fact, which is about an hour or so south of san francisco. i shot these with my dslr, and 16-35mm, 35mm, and 70-200 lenses.

first i found a little friend, framed nicely by the santa cruz wharf. i really dig the shadows cast by the setting sun

11128660-L.jpg

then, i noticed some surfers in the distance

11128659-L.jpg

a quick lens change to a 70-200

11128662-L.jpg

even at a great distance, you can bond with your subjects. i merely waved at these girls, and then put both my hands in the air, hoping they would mimic me :)

11128665-L.jpg

then i took a walk down the wharf. the light was beginning to go... here's a little amusement park in the distance, closed now, but i made a note to return in the more fair weather, this would be a fine place for some night shooting "in season"

11128666-L.jpg

i'm getting hungry, but cannot resist just one more shot of the setting sun...
http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/11128668-L.jpg [/img]

ahhh, just what the weary photographer needs...

11128669-L.jpg

it got to be like a scene out of hitchcock's "the birds" after a while, and so finally, the birds got to eat my bowl :)

11128670-L.jpg

sated, i was now able to carry my "stout" tripod onto the beach for a couple parting shots...

11128671-L.jpg
11128658-L.jpg

enjoy (soup in a sourdough bowl) photography,

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Hi Andy,

Very nice photos . . .

My wife and I just got back from California. We drove down and back taking the coastal highway. It was great. We really enjoyed the trip going from Santa Cruz down to Santa Barbara. I took about 350 pics on the trip. Love the scenery there.

10791959-S.jpg

Thanks for sharing Andy.

Peter
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    I like your last image the best. The boardwalk is a fun place in the summer. It can get a bit crazy, but the food and drinks make up for it. I've never been there at night, but its on my list of places to go back next year.

Dave
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 10, 2004
    Wow! Beautiful shots!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Great work as usual! But that 3rd pic has me perplexed. Is that person surfing on no waves? eek7.gif Or standing on a rock of some sort?

My personal faves are #1 and #8. The lines in #8 that lead your eye to the pier are classic. And the shadows and subject alignment in #1 are impressive. Way to see the opportunity!thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    A beautiful set, Andy!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    great shots andy, particularly like the surfers and the last one
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Very nice, but the last one is very striking. That's a shot I would really love to have taken.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Peter, that yellow sunset is awesome!
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Soup in a bun. Especially wonderful!

andy wrote:
    hi everyone,

i'm fortunate to be in northern california again this week. the days are shorter, so it really takes some effort to get out for the good light. today, i headed out to the coast, santa cruz in fact, which is about an hour or so south of san francisco. i shot these with my dslr, and 16-35mm, 35mm, and 70-200 lenses.

first i found a little friend, framed nicely by the santa cruz wharf. i really dig the shadows cast by the setting sun

11128660-L.jpg

then, i noticed some surfers in the distance

11128659-L.jpg

a quick lens change to a 70-200

11128662-L.jpg

even at a great distance, you can bond with your subjects. i merely waved at these girls, and then put both my hands in the air, hoping they would mimic me :)

11128665-L.jpg

then i took a walk down the wharf. the light was beginning to go... here's a little amusement park in the distance, closed now, but i made a note to return in the more fair weather, this would be a fine place for some night shooting "in season"

11128666-L.jpg

i'm getting hungry, but cannot resist just one more shot of the setting sun...
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/11128668-L.jpg [/img]

ahhh, just what the weary photographer needs...

11128669-L.jpg

it got to be like a scene out of hitchcock's "the birds" after a while, and so finally, the birds got to eat my bowl :)

11128670-L.jpg

sated, i was now able to carry my "stout" tripod onto the beach for a couple parting shots...

11128671-L.jpg
    11128658-L.jpg

enjoy (soup in a sourdough bowl) photography,
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    I wouldn't have thought you would have had time to hit Santa Cruz. You must have snuck out of work early. :D

I have been here many many times, but you were able to show me a different view of a place I thought I knew well.

Good Eye! Good job!

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2004
    thanks peter :)
    Peter wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Very nice photos . . .

My wife and I just got back from California. We drove down and back taking the coastal highway. It was great. We really enjoyed the trip going from Santa Cruz down to Santa Barbara. I took about 350 pics on the trip. Love the scenery there.

10791959-S.jpg

Thanks for sharing Andy.

Peter

and, nice shot yourself! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I like your last image the best. The boardwalk is a fun place in the summer. It can get a bit crazy, but the food and drinks make up for it. I've never been there at night, but its on my list of places to go back next year.

Dave

hi dave - yeah i want to hit up the boardwalk during the summer next year. looks like a great place for night street shooting...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hi dave - yeah i want to hit up the boardwalk during the summer next year. looks like a great place for night street shooting...
    Lots happening during the summer. Aside from the beach vollyball, there's the
    kids at the boardwalk and the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad that comes
    into town twice daily.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    I really like all your shots, Andy. But the shot of the pier intrigues me, because we have one of those. The other side of Charleston, a small beach town called Folly Beach. It is fishing pier. There is beach dancing a few times during the summer. I love to watch that, and I am sure you don't have to do it right to dance, but Bill works in the summer...........all the time. The parking is limited, etc. As are the tickets.

So, I am thinking that I should find time to try to shoot that pier in the off season, people fish all year. And also go to one of the dances next summer.

Do people do that? Go to copy someone else's shot, or at least get inspiration?
    I am sure I could not get the same shot you have, there is a hotel, of all things, near the pier.

I would like to try it, even though our Piew just ends, no amusement area on the other side, just the Atlantic Ocean.

Do you have the info, besides the tripod. The ISO? The shutter speed? AV?
    etc.

ginger (The next full moon might be a good time)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    Re:
    Very nice Andy.

(Enjoy Andy phtography)bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2004
    nightshot settings
    for ginger and anyone who may ask :D

i usually will approach my nightshots thusly:

iso 100 (always!)
    tripod
    f/8 or f/11 (aiming for sweetspot of the lens, right... also want as much dof as possible)
    after the sun is down, the "blue hour," i'll start at 5 secs and then check my histo. go to 7, or 10, or longer as needed.
    the last night shot in this series was f/11, 20 seconds.

oh and copying? i'm honored, and i do it myself - that's what's called "inspired by!"
  • Options
    danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    Great!
    Love the pics - especially the girls on their boards. If only I had as many keepers out of each session!

Danny