Options

ASA Late models at Indianapolis 7/22 56k warning

fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited July 24, 2006 in Sports
Hi all as I talked about in another thread I had the opportunity to go and shoot at a race my uncle was driving in over the weekend. I rented a 70-200 f2.8 IS and shot away. Here are a few. Please let me know what you think.

These were all shot at O'Reilly Raceway Park in Indianapolis (Formerly Indianapolis Raceway Park). I tried both panning and fast shutter speeds. I agree with everyone that the panning shots (in general not my shoddy attempt at it) are much more dramatic. It gives a greater sense of the speed and power of these machines. All were shot during the two practice sessions. I did not shoot any during the race as my wife met me for the race and she hates when all I do is take pictures.

I didn't record most of these guys names. I will try and identify them as I can.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    This young lady seemed to drive really well in practice. She just didn't have enough during qualifying though. The other two girls in the field failed to make the feature race as well.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    A little loose! I didn't capture it very well. This is coming off of turn two. Notice the back end slipped out a bit and the front wheels turned to the right.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    One of a few with a stepped up shutter speed. I don't really care for these but they did come out very sharp as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    little red car
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Charlie Menard of the family that owns the Menards chain of hardware stores. His older brother Paul drives in the NASCAR Nextel Cup series. Rumor is he doesn't really care about being a race car driver.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    The eventual race winner. His car was hooked up all night. He ended up leading 98 of 100 laps.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Some side by side action during practice.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    My uncle's car in the pits between practice sessions. Just a little bit of work changing suspension setups and tire pressures for the second session.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    My uncle's car on track during the first practice session. He was 4th quick in the first session and 6th quick in the second session. He had a shoddy qualifying effort and started 21st. He only made it about 300 feet into the race before traffic bottled up on the start. Pete dove to the inside lane got hit from behind and shoved up into the line of cars. His frame was cracked and the evening was over. High hopes shattered by someone else's stupid mistake! Oh well I guess that's just racing!ne_nau.gifeek7.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Last one. There was an MMRA Baby Grand companion race before the main ASA feature. These little guys are so cute. They are about 1/3 the size of a regular stock car. They speed all over the place like maniacs. The one pictured is of the race winner. The young lady is only 17 years old but seems to have a lot of talent and should be a rising star soon.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I like the shot of "00", getting loose, the best. thumb.gif Just curious did you turn on the IS mode 2 while panning? Oh, and it's time to clean your sensor.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 24, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I like the shot of "00", getting loose, the best. thumb.gif
    i tend to agree with jeffro .. the 00 getting loose is my fav... would really like to see the expression on his face .. ylsuper.gif15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Oh, and it's time to clean your sensor.

Don't worry. I know! :D I have a thread going in the tips section. I have tried the eclipse solution and their swabs. It has helped some. I just don't have the cash together right now to get the sensor brushes, and the copperhill setup. It's on my list though.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    Thanks for the comments on the 00. I know it's mean, but I saw him start to go and I started saying "please please please" I was in the perfect spot for it and there were 2 other cars coming right behind him. He caught it though and recovered well.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    I know it's mean, but I saw him start to go and I started saying "please please please" I was in the perfect spot for it and there were 2 other cars coming right behind him. He caught it though and recovered well.

I know what you mean. I've said it before, I don't wish for anyone to crash, but if they do, and I'm there, I hope I get it! Like I did here... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38435 I'm a sick, sick person....mwink.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    You did a nice job with the motion blur shots. And I agree with the others, kinda neat to see the car sideways coming out of the corner.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au