Options

RAW converter tutorial?

JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited July 29, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking for a synopsis of the different RAW converters available that makes some assessment of speed and quality of the conversions. I am using a 20D right now. Any help is appreciated!

I had essentially abandoned shooting in RAW not long after I got my 20D primarily because of the size of the files and the processing time required. However, after seeing the difference between my in-camera JPEGs at ISO 3200 and RAW files converted through PS2 ACR, I have a renewed interest in using RAW again. However, conversions through Breezebrowser (not the "Pro" version) look pretty much identical to my in-camera JPGs. The banding effect (horizontal bands of apparent color noise) is present, obvious, and distracting in my in-camera JPGs and BB conversions, but are virtually eliminated in my PS ACR converts, which take eons to process. Therefore, I'm interested in what else is available in terms of quality and speed.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    I am looking for a synopsis of the different RAW converters available that makes some assessment of speed and quality of the conversions. I am using a 20D right now. Any help is appreciated!

I had essentially abandoned shooting in RAW not long after I got my 20D primarily because of the size of the files and the processing time required. However, after seeing the difference between my in-camera JPEGs at ISO 3200 and RAW files converted through PS2 ACR, I have a renewed interest in using RAW again. However, conversions through Breezebrowser (not the "Pro" version) look pretty much identical to my in-camera JPGs. The banding effect (horizontal bands of apparent color noise) is present, obvious, and distracting in my in-camera JPGs and BB conversions, but are virtually eliminated in my PS ACR converts, which take eons to process. Therefore, I'm interested in what else is available in terms of quality and speed.
    There's an ACR tute in the Hall of Wisdom. I also recommend the book "Real World Camera Raw" by Bruce Fraser. Amazing.
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Thanks... I did find the tutorial. I used to use RAW with my old D30 regularly, and I'm surprised that a 2 year hiatus has left me so far behind with my 20D!

A couple more questions regarding ACR2.4 in CS2...

1. Does this software take into account the parameter settings at all?
    2. If so, where can I find this interface in ACR? (It's easy to find in BB.)

I have a 20D now, so I don't have to deal with them yet, but how does ACR take Picture Styles into account?

Also, are there ways to preserve the B/W conversion that the 20D does by using ACR? I really like this feature of my 20D, but I don't see how to duplicate it in ACR like you can with BB. (I would really like to use ACR for everything if possible... the conversions are so much nicer than BB, IMO.)

I'll probably come up w/more questions as I catch up with y'all. :)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006