Looking for suggestions for New Mexico photo locations

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
I am heading to New Mexico next week, and I am looking for any suggestions of photo locations. Particularly in Northern New Mexico, in and around Santa Fe, Taos, and places North of Taos. Thanks!
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    I am heading to New Mexico next week, and I am looking for any suggestions of photo locations. Particularly in Northern New Mexico, in and around Santa Fe, Taos, and places North of Taos. Thanks!
    I suppose I could always just use this http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAll&address=Taos%2C+NM&x=0&y=0
    :):

Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    Wish I could help.

That is a pretty cool tool, tho.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 13, 2006
    New Mexico, especially around Taos, is just full of great photo ops.

Is your interest landscapes, street scenes,wildlife, Indian culture, or what??

In my smugmug site in the travel galleries, you will find at least three or four galleries devoted to New Mexico and the surrounding areas.

Heres one http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/81988

And another

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/426407

There are others of the South West as well. If a frame is of interest, ask me about it, and I'll telll you anything I know about it:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 14, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    New Mexico, especially around Taos, is just full of great photo ops.

Is your interest landscapes, street scenes,wildlife, Indian culture, or what??

In my smugmug site in the travel galleries, you will find at least three or four galleries devoted to New Mexico and the surrounding areas.

Heres one http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/81988

And another

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/426407

There are others of the South West as well. If a frame is of interest, ask me about it, and I'll telll you anything I know about it:):

You've got some really great pictues on your site! (Actually I think you took a lot of the pictures that I was hoping to capture:D ). I think I know where a lot of these locations are! Question, was this taken at Chaco Canyon? Any suggestions about taking pictures there? Was this taken from a hot air ballon? Any suggestions for which balloon service to go with? I would love to get some photos of some cliff dwellings like this, any suggestions on where to go?

I think my only limitation is that I am staying just out side of a small town, and probably won't be able to do anything more than day trips from there.
    Andrew

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    One day I want to see Ship Rock. I drove past it in the night once and did not even know it at the time. :bash

This site has some helpful links, not as many in NM, but a lot of good info for the SW US.
    edited July 15, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    One day I want to see Ship Rock. I drove past it in the night once and did not even know it at the time. :bash

This site has some helpful links, not as many in NM, but a lot of good info for the SW US.

Thanks, I appreciate the links! clap.gif
    Andrew

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    You've got some really great pictues on your site! (Actually I think you took a lot of the pictures that I was hoping to capture:D ). I think I know where a lot of these locations are! Question, was this taken at Chaco Canyon? Any suggestions about taking pictures there? Was this taken from a hot air ballon? Any suggestions for which balloon service to go with? I would love to get some photos of some cliff dwellings like this, any suggestions on where to go?

I think my only limitation is that I am staying just out side of a small town, and probably won't be able to do anything more than day trips from there.
    Thanks Greenpea:):

No, this is not Chaco Canyon. That is Grand Quivira, one of the Spanish Missions that is now a National Monument along with the Abo Ruins and Quarai. Grand Quivera is about 20 miles south of Mountainair on route 55. I think it is an early morning or a late afternoon site in terms of light. I had to shoot too early in the afternoon.
    2890679-L.jpg

Yes, this was shot from a Hot Air Balloon. A balloon is a great way to see and shoot the Rio Grande Gorge. The ballooninsts launch shortly after sunrise. We have ridden with the Pueblo Balloon Company twice in Taos New Mexico. They take you for a ride, they landed us safely ( and balloon landings are always an experience of themselves ) and they take you to breakfast and toast with a bottle of champaigne after your safe landing.
    Great fun!! Here's another view.
    17106263-L.jpg

2848071-L.jpg

This was shot in Southwestern New Mexico in the Gila Cliff Dwellings. The road into the Cliff Dwellings is a snakey narrow road a long a ridge-top and then into a valley with a few water crossings at times. Great fun on two wheels. This was shot with a CoolPix 995
    2908214-L.jpg

The Cliff Dwellings and the Ruins are a pretty good drive from Angel Fire. Taos is closer and has lots of things to see and do but will require getting there early for a balloon ride. They might pick you up and launch from Angel Fire though. Just south of Taos is the Spanish church Francisco de Asis photographed by thousands of pros and amateurs.
    2848077-L.jpg

The list is almost endless for NM. Bosque del Apache wildlife area. The Very Large Array. Spanish history Indian history Pueblos Anisazi etc etc
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    greenpea wrote:

Sorry, hand't seen this thread before. I live in Fanta Se, so know some of the area. What small town are you staying at that you'll be making daytrps from?

Bandelier National Monument comes to mind. Los Golondrinas SW of Santa Fe is photogenic. Above the Cochiti Lake, south of Santa Fe is Tent Rocks geologic area. They are shooting a disney movie in old mining town of Madrid about 25 miles south of Santa Fe. Much to see and photograph there at moment, if you like movie sets. The Rio Grande Gorge, outside of Taos is pretty spectacular. Arroyo Hondo Bridge, north of Taos is where the old Hog Farm hippy commune is (Where some of Easy Rider was filmed).
    Gran Quivera, near Mountainair is pretty cool, as are the Pecos National Monument east of Santa Fe. Chaco is a fair distance but striking desert scenery plus ruins. Taos Pueblo is accessible. Spectacular drive from Taos to Eagle Nest and over to Cimarron (Philmont area) is pretty neat. The high road to Taos (from Ranchos de Taos to Pojaque is a high mountain route that goes through several old old spanish villages with mission churches. The mission at Ranchos de Taos, famously photographed by Paul Strand, Ansel Adams, Weston and a host of others is right near Taos. There is a dirt Road north of Abiqu and north of Abiqu Lake, that runs up the Chama River Canyon (bounds a new wilderness area) to Christ of the Desert Monestary that is very scenic. You can stop at Ghost Ranch (home of Georgia O'Keefe) and take a guided photo tour of places on the ranch that she frequently painted. Very dramatic sandstone canyons.

These are just a few places.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited July 17, 2006
    Sorry, hand't seen this thread before. I live in Fanta Se, so know some of the area. What small town are you staying at that you'll be making daytrps from?

I will actually be staying just outside of Eagles Nest.
    Bandelier National Monument comes to mind. Los Golondrinas SW of Santa Fe is photogenic. Above the Cochiti Lake, south of Santa Fe is Tent Rocks geologic area. They are shooting a disney movie in old mining town of Madrid about 25 miles south of Santa Fe. Much to see and photograph there at moment, if you like movie sets. The Rio Grande Gorge, outside of Taos is pretty spectacular. Arroyo Hondo Bridge, north of Taos is where the old Hog Farm hippy commune is (Where some of Easy Rider was filmed).
    Gran Quivera, near Mountainair is pretty cool, as are the Pecos National Monument east of Santa Fe. Chaco is a fair distance but striking desert scenery plus ruins. Taos Pueblo is accessible. Spectacular drive from Taos to Eagle Nest and over to Cimarron (Philmont area) is pretty neat. The high road to Taos (from Ranchos de Taos to Pojaque is a high mountain route that goes through several old old spanish villages with mission churches. The mission at Ranchos de Taos, famously photographed by Paul Strand, Ansel Adams, Weston and a host of others is right near Taos. There is a dirt Road north of Abiqu and north of Abiqu Lake, that runs up the Chama River Canyon (bounds a new wilderness area) to Christ of the Desert Monestary that is very scenic. You can stop at Ghost Ranch (home of Georgia O'Keefe) and take a guided photo tour of places on the ranch that she frequently painted. Very dramatic sandstone canyons.

These are just a few places.

Thanks arroyoshark! clap.gif
    Andrew

edited July 17, 2006
    And thank you pathfinder, great advice. clap.gif

Now I just wish I was staying longer.
    Andrew

edited July 30, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions... here are the pics
    Okay, I just got back from New Mexico (actually I got off the plane 4 hours ago) and I have over 500 pictures to go through.

After asking for advice, I thought it would only be fair for me to show the pictures that I took. So here is a small sampling of my pictures from New Mexico http://initialphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1721312/ that I have managed to quickly upload.

Thanks for the suggestions of places to photograph!
    Andrew