How to Post a Pic on dgrin

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 27, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Linkie works for me too Sid. Mac X Firefox. But you can always insert an image into your text if it is 800 pixels or less wide and hosted on smugmug or someplace on the web by using

"www.your images URL" in the body of the text without the quotation marks also.
    The second link Sid showed still directs me to his earlier thread about how to post a picture - nice young lady in a short skirt et all.

But regardless of whether you can get the link, if your pictures are hosted on smugmug or pbase or elsewhere on the web, the instruction I gave about using the image tags will work. For instance, I shot a little Red Wing blackbird the other day and uploaded the image to my smugmug.gallery which you can see here

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/213634/11/20445236

When you right-click on the larger image of the blackbird in the tree you will see a menu labled 'Element Properties' tht includes the image's URL or Location which is http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/20445236-M.jpg

If you type into the text box you are posting in

""[img][/img]http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/20445236-M.jpg ""

and omit including the quotation marks and the spaces between and http and jpg - what you will see on dgrin is the following - but rather than typing just right click the location and hit ctrl-C to copy the location URL to your cliboard, then ctrl-v to paste it in right behind the image tag in your text box.
    20445236-M.jpg

Bingo - you just posted an image. IF you right-click over the picture of the bird here on dgrin, you will again see the URL for the image on sumgmug.com that was typed between the [img][/img] tags because that is where the image is stored on the web - thus saviing dgrin's servers from having to store all those images too.

IF you do not have a web host for your pitchas (AND you should for a variety of reasons) you can attach small images files ( less than 105 Kb) by hitting the Manage Attachments button below the text box you are typing into - it is about 3-4 inches and several lines of text below the reply box - But once you press the Manage Attachments button it will allow you to browse your hard drive to locate the file you want to upload. Then you just follow the directions and hit Uplaod and wait while the file is uploaded. This is slower than linking and does not allow you to use higher quality images due to file size limitations for attaching. But it will allow you to upload pictures if you donot have a web host like SMUGMUG for your images. You really need a smugmug account to be a happy digital photogrrapher on dgrin:D This will make Baldy - the owner of all this domain very happy too. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kattywackattywac Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2005
    1st attempt
    i am going to ry to post a pic although i cant figure out out to enter a contest...ne_nau.gif
  • Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    how do i post more than one picture?
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Rufio220 wrote:
    how do i post more than one picture?
    Hi Rufio,

If you read the instructions in this link, you'll see that can only attach one image per post.

But you can link as many as you want per post.

So the difference is between attaching photos to your posts, and linking photos to your posts.

Make sense?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • callmeconnie29callmeconnie29 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2005
    thanks! this is very helpful
    wanted to thank you for the great help, I am new and have many questions. I do know how to reply to put up a post, and this is my second time- but my main question is that How to post new!? I simply cannot find it!! crazy! I no. but I have learned two things in just the first few posts I've read from you, esp the one with using a mac, which I never knew why we couldn't right click, and now I do, and I am anxious to get started! Thanks again, Debbe clap.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    wanted to thank you for the great help, I am new and have many questions. I do know how to reply to put up a post, and this is my second time- but my main question is that How to post new!? I simply cannot find it!! crazy! I no. but I have learned two things in just the first few posts I've read from you, esp the one with using a mac, which I never knew why we couldn't right click, and now I do, and I am anxious to get started! Thanks again, Debbe clap.gif
    Hi Debb wave.gif
    to post a new thread: go to the forum you want to post in, say portraits, and click on that forum.. in the top left hand corner you'll see a little tab "new thread" just click on that and fill in your title and picture.. hope this helps!
    Lynn
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    !st linked photo
    32424918-M.jpgHere goes
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    MarkS wrote:
    32424918-Ti.jpgHere goes

thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Hmm still having some problems...

when i post multiple shots they seem to be random ordered.
    how do I type between pictures?
    I cant seem to post exif data as a link
    edited August 17, 2005
    MarkS wrote:
    Hmm still having some problems...

when i post multiple shots they seem to be random ordered.
    how do I type between pictures?
    I cant seem to post exif data as a link

mark, there's a thread right here in the dgrin support forum, entitled, how to embed exif data - please read that..

regarding multiple shots, they'll show up in the order you input them
    to type inbetween, do this (without the *)

[img*] your pic.jpg [/img*]

your text here...

text

blah blah blah

[img*] another pic.jpg[/img*]

and so forth :D
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Option #2
    Link to Your Photograph
    (Preferred because it uses fewer resources.And you can post multiple pics per post.)

First, store your photos online. Pay a few dollars a year to have a site host your photos online. Baldy runs Smugmug and we all love it. But there are others, such as pbase. Just make sure that wherever you have them hosted, you're buying the right to link to your photos.

After that, linking to them here is easy. Once again, start a new thread or reply to an existing thread. A text box appears: above it there's a little yellow box (highlighted in pic.) Click on it.

1993513-O.jpg

Up pops a little box. What you need to paste in there is the location of your photograph.

1993512-O.jpg

Wow, that sounds tough. How do I find the address for my photo? Easy. Go to your photo, wherever it's being hosted. Right click on it and scroll down to "Properties."

1993493-O.jpg

When the little Properties box pops up, just copy the "Location."

1993494-O.jpg

Then paste the Location into the dgrin box I showed you earlier. And voila, your lovely photo now appears in the thread of your choice. Can't be too hard, a computer retard like me just did it five times in this "Reply" alone! ylsuper.gif

3835-O-1.jpg

So this looks like a safe place for me to try to master this img link thing ...

[IMG]http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1465.jpg OK let's see if that worked. Sorry Man, it doesn't work. If you paste that...[/img]http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1465.jpg
    into your browser you'll get a picture but it doesn't display here.

Let's try another one ...

[IMG]http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1469.jpg Still no!!! But if I give you a link without the[/img]tag you'll get a new browser and a picture ...http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1469.jpg

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that I'm using Netscape 7.0 instead of IE?
    See with your Heart
    edited October 15, 2005
    So this looks like a safe place for me to try to master this img link thing ...

Dscf1465.jpg

OK let's see if that worked.

Sorry Man, it doesn't work. If you paste that... http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1465.jpg
    into your browser you'll get a picture but it doesn't display here.

Let's try another one ...

Dscf1469.jpg

Still no!!!

But if I give you a link without the tag you'll get a new browser and a picture ...http://www.igs.net/~yesamen/Dgrin_resizes/Dscf1469.jpg

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that I'm using Netscape 7.0 instead of IE?

your photo url (filename.jpg) needs to be sandwiched in between [*img] and [*/img] do not use the * they are just there so you can see the examples. i fixed your post above :D
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    your photo url (filename.jpg) needs to be sandwiched in between [*img] and [*/img] do not use the * they are just there so you can see the examples. i fixed your post above :D

Thanks Andy, so you're telling me that ...

Dscf1465.jpg

Dscf1469.jpg

... this should work? I guess my next question is where would it say that you have to finish the link with another click on the image icon?

If this works then I'll load my Dgrin resizes to my own web site host until I get to open an account with SMug.

We want to wait until after we move to our new house (closing date: Nov. 18). Then we should have faster connection speed and it will be better.
    B&G
    See with your Heart
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Disappearing images
    its happened to me several times on the ADV list, I post an image looks OK several hours later its gone. Just the dreaded blue boxed question mark. Whats going on?
    10534043-M.jpg
    Now i can't ever get that far ne_nau.gif
    ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
    edited January 14, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    its happened to me several times on the ADV list, I post an image looks OK several hours later its gone. Just the dreaded blue boxed question mark. Whats going on?
    10534043-M.jpg
    ed

Ed, what gallery on your site is that image in please?

Andy
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ed, what gallery on your site is that image in please?

Andy

The reason I ask is that the gallery must be setup to allow "external links" in your customize gallery setup.
    edited January 15, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    10534043-M.jpg
    ed

Ed, the reason was, you had "external links" turned OFF in that gallery. Leave them set to on, and you'll never have that Blue ? or the Red X.

I fixed it for you in that gallery you pm'd me about.

All the best,
    edited January 15, 2006
    Thanks Andy, thats something i didn't even consider. Would that have been the problem with the ADV posting? I'm really going to have to spend some time and sort my galleries out, a cold wet day in June or July.
    ed
    edited January 15, 2006
    to answer my own question, yes probably. It magically reopened on the ADV list.
    Thanks again, Ed
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    to answer my own question, yes probably. It magically reopened on the ADV list.
    Thanks again, Ed

Yes, it's to do with your gallery, not the location you post to.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Why 800 X 1200 ok but not 1200 X 800?
    I just struggled with getting photos to post to the thread starting here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=230186&posted=1#post230186

The thing the puzzels me the most is that jpg can be 800 wide by 1200 high but not the reverse!! Why does it make a difference is a photo is 800 wide by 1200 high or 1200 high by 800 wide? Wouldn't they take up the same amount of room?

Jane
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:
    I just struggled with getting photos to post to the thread
    Jane

sizetest1.jpg

Odd that you are having trouble...I just insert the pic and not use the insert wizardclap.gif

This is just a tiny 90k file...shot on my GI...at the lowest res...headscratch.gif
  • stevesierenstevesieren Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Laziness
    http://sieren.smugmug.com/

a landscape photography gallery for anyone interested??
    edited June 2, 2006
    Size of photos without a Smugmug or similar host?
    Jane B. wrote:
    I just struggled with getting photos to post to the thread starting here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=230186&posted=1#post230186

The thing the puzzels me the most is that jpg can be 800 wide by 1200 high but not the reverse!! Why does it make a difference is a photo is 800 wide by 1200 high or 1200 high by 800 wide? Wouldn't they take up the same amount of room?

Jane

Here it is June and I still don't have an answer to this. So much of what I take is kids at church events and I don't want to post kids pics (I feel that is up to parents). Thus, I wouldn't have much to put in a Smugmug account; but every now and then would want to put something here. It seems that I have more landscape shots than portrait. Why does the direction of the larger dimension matter?????
    Jane
    edited June 2, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:
    Here it is June and I still don't have an answer to this. So much of what I take is kids at church events and I don't want to post kids pics (I feel that is up to parents). Thus, I wouldn't have much to put in a Smugmug account; but every now and then would want to put something here. It seems that I have more landscape shots than portrait. Why does the direction of the larger dimension matter?????
    Jane
    Hi Jane,

I'm sorry - this must've slipped by us - apologies. They have to be jpg, less than 150Kb, and 800 wide max by 1200 tall max.

I hope this helps!
    edited June 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Jane,

I'm sorry - this must've slipped by us - apologies. They have to be jpg, less than 150Kb, and 800 wide max by 1200 tall max.

I hope this helps!

The last time I tried yes, it would take 800 wide by 1200 tall but. . . why won't it take 1200 wide by 800 tall. That seems to be the same size but just the other oriniation (sp?)???
    Jane
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:
    The last time I tried yes, it would take 800 wide by 1200 tall but. . . why won't it take 1200 wide by 800 tall. That seems to be the same size but just the other oriniation (sp?)???
    Jane

800 pxl wide is the largest size horizontal/wide that the these web pages are designed to handle...nothing to do with the same amount of total information...lets say you have an 11"x14" horizontal landscape photo for a double page spread in a magazine that has a 14" double page width...no matter what ...the horizontal dimention has to be 14" no matter what!! If you have a 17"W x 9"H print...it has nearenough the same square area...but the 17" width cannot fit the 14" width of the magazine...Sometimes it is the simplist things are the hardest to understand.
  • Warren WilliamsWarren Williams Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2006
    I am still not sure how to post a Pic? Have done the right way
    Not sure if it works
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Not sure if it works
    Hi Warren, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif

When you link to a photo, make sure you link to your online photo, you can not link to a photo on you local computer.

It's all explained pretty well in this post. Make sure you read it thoroughly, if you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to help you out.
  • dgriffithdgriffith Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2006
    just testing
    86768831-M.jpg

Just testing to see if this shot will post.
    It it doesn't - - help!rolleyes1.gif
    dg

quote=ivar]Hi Warren, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif

When you link to a photo, make sure you link to your online photo, you can not link to a photo on you local computer.

It's all explained pretty well in this post. Make sure you read it thoroughly, if you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to help you out.[/quote]